-   Piloting (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   faa home study graduation certificate (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19530)

Falky foo February 9th 05 09:47 AM

faa home study graduation certificate

Hi, thinking of getting my private license. Looking to do ground school
entirely at home, as I already am pretty familiar with most of the concepts
covered by the FAA written test. FAA Rules say one can take the test with:

e. A certificate of graduation from an aviation home study
course developed by the aeronautical enterprise providing
the study material. The certificate of graduation must
correspond to the FAA written test for the certificate or rating
sought. The aeronautical enterprise providing the course of
study must also supply a comprehensive written test which can be
scored as evidence that the student has completed the course of
study. When the student satisfactorily completes the written
test, it is sent to the course provider for scoring by an FAA
certificated ground or flight instructor. The instructor
evaluates the test and attests to the student's knowledge of the
subjects presented in the course. Upon satisfactory completion,
a graduation certificate is sent to the student.

I've been looking at Sporty's home study thing. Does anybody know if they
do the CFI signoff/ graduation certificate themselves? That is, does their
(or anybody's) home study course include a written test which you either
send electronically, or by mail, or (best) is automatically graded and
"signed" by the computer when you complete the test? I'm trying to avoid
giving a CFI $70 so that he can spend 15 seconds looking at my answers and
signing off on the test (sorry CFIs).

I've looked far and wide, and all the home study stuff is very coy about
whether you can use their "certificates of graduation" to satisfy the above
FAA rule.

Thanks very much!

Gary Drescher February 9th 05 11:55 AM

"Falky foo" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to avoid
giving a CFI $70 so that he can spend 15 seconds looking at my answers and
signing off on the test (sorry CFIs).

A typical CFI fee is on the order of $40 per hour, which comes to much less
than $70 for 15 seconds.

FAR 61.103d (http://makeashorterlink.com/?A2F925F6A) does require a CFI's
signoff before you take the knowledge test. Typically, if you do self-study,
the CFI will assess your readiness in the course of talking to you during
your flight training (and will probably ask you to take a sample test as
well), with little or no additional cost for the assessment and signoff.
Also, there's no need to follow a program like Sporty's (unless you find it
helpful); just reading a good textbook is sufficient.

--Gary

Ron Natalie February 9th 05 12:16 PM

Falky foo wrote:

I've been looking at Sporty's home study thing. Does anybody know if they
do the CFI signoff/ graduation certificate themselves?

I don't know how Sporty's does it, but I took the Kings course once and after
you do your final exam you call them and they send you a certificate rubber
stamped with John King's signature.

Andrew Sarangan February 9th 05 03:17 PM

While a CFI signoff is required, there is really no logic behind that
requirement (it might have had a logic when the written exams were
offered for free by the FAA). If you can't find any CFI willing to sign
you off, I am sure one of us here on this newsgroup will be willing to
do it. There should not be any charge for this service as it only takes
a few minutes to do, and whether you pass or fail does not reflect back
on us.

"Falky foo" wrote in
:

RST Engineering February 9th 05 08:47 PM

Even easier, Andrew, is to sign it off using your GROUND INSTRUCTOR
certificate (which is perfectly legit) so you don't have that 3 year
recordkeeping requirement that a CFI has.

Jim

1...

Michael Brown February 9th 05 10:49 PM

I did my commercial this way using the ASA DVD's. After completing the
course I did two practice tests that were included, faxed the answers to
ASA, and they faxed a signoff back to me (mailed the original).

Good luck.

. ..

Falky foo February 10th 05 12:38 AM

All right, cool. I'll give it a shot. Thanks very much. I'd be happy to
pay a reasonable fee for it but everybody here wants $70 to do it.. why $70
I don't know but that seems a little high.

Thanks again!

Andrew Sarangan February 10th 05 01:10 AM

I believe Gleim still does it, but you have to pay for the software,
which I think is more than the $70.

"BTIZ" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

Gliems home study course will print the certificate on your computer
when you answer all the questions correctly, no other contact needed.
Or at least it used to.

BT

. ..