-   -   Bungee Material for Landing Gear and Engine Bay Doors (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=241701)

[email protected] December 3rd 17 01:38 PM

Bungee Material for Landing Gear and Engine Bay Doors

I am looking for a source for bungee material for my landing gear and engine bay doors (ASH-26E). The original (German-sourced?) bungee is about 5 mm diameter and stretches to about twice the rested length. The 3/16 inch USA-sourced material I have been able to find (McMaster-Carr, etc.) doesn't stretch quite as much, about 75% rested length. Since the adjustment on the '26's engine bay doors is quite critical, I really would like to find the original (German-sourced?) bungee material with more stretch. Anyone know where I can get some?

Thanks,
Jim

Kiwi User December 3rd 17 02:29 PM

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 05:38:01 -0800, julietsix wrote:

I am looking for a source for bungee material for my landing gear and
engine bay doors (ASH-26E). The original (German-sourced?) bungee is
about 5 mm diameter and stretches to about twice the rested length.

Try Amazon or eBay. Both sell 5mm bungee in 10 and 20m lengths, 100m
reels or by the metre. In the UK we can also get it from boating
equipment stores and firms selling tents and awnings to market traders.

I thought that REI and similar stores may sell bungee. They do, on either
side of the pond, but its not what you want. Their 'bungee' is what you'd
use to tie stuff onto a car's roof rack: 8-10mm diameter, 2-3 feet long
and with a hook on each end.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie

[email protected] December 3rd 17 03:04 PM

Bungee Material for Landing Gear and Engine Bay Doors

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty
JJ

[email protected] December 3rd 17 03:35 PM

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 7:38:05 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I am looking for a source for bungee material for my landing gear and engine bay doors (ASH-26E). The original (German-sourced?) bungee is about 5 mm diameter and stretches to about twice the rested length. The 3/16 inch USA-sourced material I have been able to find (McMaster-Carr, etc.) doesn't stretch quite as much, about 75% rested length. Since the adjustment on the '26's engine bay doors is quite critical, I really would like to find the original (German-sourced?) bungee material with more stretch. Anyone know where I can get some?

Thanks,
Jim

Thanks, guys, good input....

No joy on Amazon (searching from the USA), but I'll keep checking.

I have an eBay purchase on the way, from China, real cheap. The best "specifications" I can find are comments like "100% stretch" and "Capable of stretching under load to about twice it's untensioned length". I am not real confident of getting decent quality, life, or performance, we'll see what I get. Here are two links:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112044223163
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322860613155

I did find a German eBay supplier, but they are out of stock on 5 mm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bungee-Cord...1N1H KIs7sdsA

I've checked Aircraft Spruce also, "shock cord", but they don't stock 5 mm (3/16 inch). Their material is MIL-C-5651D spec'ed, greater than 100% elongation, so that is good. If I don't like the 5 mm stuff I get from eBay, I might try their 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch material.

But the best would be to find the original (German-sourced?) material.... This may be it:

https://www.schnurhaus-onlineshop.de...5-GL-PESGw-020

But 20 meters is way more than I need, and they want 30 Euros to ship Germany to USA.

We'll see what I get from China. But I still would like to get a meter or two of the original stuff if I can.

Cheers,
Jim

[email protected] December 3rd 17 03:44 PM

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 9:35:33 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Source for 3/16 inch MIL-C-5651D Type 1 shock cord, 500 ft rolls, that's a lot of gear doors, haha!

http://www.theecwcorp.com/braided-el...e-i-p-317.html

Cheers,
Jim

Craig Funston[_3_] December 3rd 17 06:56 PM

On 12/3/2017 8:44 AM, wrote:
[...]

Many hiking / climbing / outdoor stores will carry bungee cord in bulk. If you're in the US, try REI, or one of the big box stores with lots of guns and dead animals in it. ;-)

Craig
7Q

[email protected] December 3rd 17 09:35 PM

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 2:29:35 PM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 5:38:05 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I am looking for a source for bungee material for my landing gear and engine bay doors (ASH-26E). The original (German-sourced?) bungee is about 5 mm diameter and stretches to about twice the rested length. The 3/16 inch USA-sourced material I have been able to find (McMaster-Carr, etc.) doesn't stretch quite as much, about 75% rested length. Since the adjustment on the '26's engine bay doors is quite critical, I really would like to find the original (German-sourced?) bungee material with more stretch. Anyone know where I can get some?

Thanks,
Jim

West Marine.

Yes, all good tips, thanks. I have an email out to Rex and Noelle. I have checked just one local big box outdoor store, and they had some 3/16 inch but the stuff they had again only stretched about 75%. There are others close by, we'll see. I haven't checked West Marine or other marine supply, don't really have one very close to me here in Birmingham, Alabama.

Maybe I'm being picky on looking for 100% stretch, but the '26's engine bay doors are a bit finicky on the adjustment (at least mine are). I'm thinking more stretchiness (more like the original material) would be more forgiving and easier to adjust correctly. And might last longer, too.

Thanks again,
Jim J6

Dave Nadler December 3rd 17 10:26 PM

Bungee Material for Landing Gear and Engine Bay Doors

Some notes about bungees...

There's a lot of poor quality bungee, with terrible life and no UV resistance. Junk I bought on the road to secure a loose trailer safety chain disintegrated within weeks. Be careful where you source.

Stretch to 100% will result in reduced life. If possible avoid it (not always possible replacing an existing bungee).

To reduce %stretch its sometimes possible to fit a longer expansion track. I've used poly tubing bent with some heat as a track (bungee runs smoothly inside poly track); tubing bent as necessary to fit inside engine bay and give bungee nice length (with heat, take care to stretch and avoid wrinkling tube). This wasn't a '26 however.

Hope that helps!
Best Regards, Dave