-   Owning (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Legal to Rent Yak-52? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=109884)

W[_3_] June 13th 10 04:41 AM

Legal to Rent Yak-52?

Is it legal for a sport or commercial pilot in the US to rent a Yak-52
aerobatic plane for unassisted flight cross country? I guess these can
only be certified currently for exhibition/airshow. Is that likely to
change given they are still manufactured in Romania?

Ron Wanttaja[_2_] June 13th 10 08:29 AM

Legal to Rent Yak-52?

W wrote:
Is it legal for a sport or commercial pilot in the US to rent a Yak-52
aerobatic plane for unassisted flight cross country? I guess these can
only be certified currently for exhibition/airshow. Is that likely to
change given they are still manufactured in Romania?

Depends on the operating limitations, but since it's Experimental, it
probably can't be rented out. The fact that it's still manufactured is
immaterial, unless the Romanians pursue US certification. Even if that
happens, it won't affect the existing airplanes.

Ron Wanttaja