-   -   C-5 Galaxy hit by missile over Baghdad (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7602)

Aerophotos January 8th 04 08:17 PM

C-5 Galaxy hit by missile over Baghdad

Seems in the news, a USAF C-5 Galaxy was hit by a unkown missile over
Baghdad, it then landed due to USAF reasons "was a excessive noise
vibrations in a engine" - no mention of missile at all when first
published.

Some noise vibrations eh?, imagine if it was shot down?

USAF PR would describe it as "slight turbelence induced accident".

Jeff

Kevin Brooks January 8th 04 08:25 PM

"Aerophotos" wrote in message
Seems in the news, a USAF C-5 Galaxy was hit by a unkown missile over
Baghdad, it then landed due to USAF reasons "was a excessive noise
vibrations in a engine" - no mention of missile at all when first
published.

Some noise vibrations eh?, imagine if it was shot down?

USAF PR would describe it as "slight turbelence induced accident".

What is "terbelence"? JGG, do you have a point to any of this crap, or is it
your usual demented product?

Brooks

Jeff

Steven P. McNicoll January 8th 04 08:28 PM

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
. ..

"Aerophotos" wrote in message

Seems in the news, a USAF C-5 Galaxy was hit by a unkown missile over
Baghdad, it then landed due to USAF reasons "was a excessive noise
vibrations in a engine" - no mention of missile at all when first
published.

Some noise vibrations eh?, imagine if it was shot down?

USAF PR would describe it as "slight turbelence induced accident".

What is "terbelence"? JGG, do you have a point to any of this crap, or is

it
your usual demented product?

I'd also like to know what "terbelence" is. I'm kinda curious about
"turbelence" too.

Kevin Brooks January 8th 04 08:33 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
. ..

"Aerophotos" wrote in message

Seems in the news, a USAF C-5 Galaxy was hit by a unkown missile over
Baghdad, it then landed due to USAF reasons "was a excessive noise
vibrations in a engine" - no mention of missile at all when first
published.

Some noise vibrations eh?, imagine if it was shot down?

USAF PR would describe it as "slight turbelence induced accident".

What is "terbelence"? JGG, do you have a point to any of this crap, or

is
it
your usual demented product?

I'd also like to know what "terbelence" is. I'm kinda curious about
"turbelence" too.

Oops. It sucks when you screw up trying to copy JGG's creative invective.

Brooks

ANDREW ROBERT BREEN January 8th 04 10:29 PM

In article ,
Kevin Brooks wrote:

"Aerophotos" wrote in message
Seems in the news, a USAF C-5 Galaxy was hit by a unkown missile over
Baghdad, it then landed due to USAF reasons "was a excessive noise
vibrations in a engine" - no mention of missile at all when first
published.

Some noise vibrations eh?, imagine if it was shot down?

USAF PR would describe it as "slight turbelence induced accident".

What is "terbelence"? JGG, do you have a point to any of this crap, or is it
your usual demented product?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/mi...st/3381069.stm

seems to cover it.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/

ANDREW ROBERT BREEN January 8th 04 10:32 PM

In article k.net,
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
What is "terbelence"? JGG, do you have a point to any of this crap, or is

it
your usual demented product?

I'd also like to know what "terbelence" is. I'm kinda curious about
"turbelence" too.

It's like turbulence, but less evolved.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
"Who dies with the most toys wins" (Gary Barnes)

Kevin Brooks January 8th 04 10:46 PM

"ANDREW ROBERT BREEN" wrote in message
In article ,
Kevin Brooks wrote:

"Aerophotos" wrote in message
Seems in the news, a USAF C-5 Galaxy was hit by a unkown missile over
Baghdad, it then landed due to USAF reasons "was a excessive noise
vibrations in a engine" - no mention of missile at all when first
published.

Some noise vibrations eh?, imagine if it was shot down?

USAF PR would describe it as "slight turbelence induced accident".

What is "terbelence"? JGG, do you have a point to any of this crap, or is

it
your usual demented product?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/mi...st/3381069.stm

seems to cover it.

Yeah, I knew it happened--my point was directed at JGG's usual assignation
of nefarious intent to the US (in this case USAF), without basis as always.

Brooks

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group

BackToNormal January 8th 04 11:48 PM

Aerophotos wrote:

Seems in the news, a USAF C-5 Galaxy was hit by a unkown missile over
Baghdad, it then landed due to USAF reasons "was a excessive noise
vibrations in a engine" - no mention of missile at all when first
published.

You might write "a unknown missile" but did the USAF really say "a
excessive noise vibrations", and "a engine"?

ronh

--
"People do not make decisions on facts, rather,
how they feel about the facts" Robert Consedine

Jeb Hoge January 11th 04 05:47 PM

Aerophotos wrote in message ...
Seems in the news, a USAF C-5 Galaxy was hit by a unkown missile over
Baghdad, it then landed due to USAF reasons "was a excessive noise
vibrations in a engine" - no mention of missile at all when first
published.

I wonder how noticeable a MANPADS hit on a C-5 engine would be,
anyway? Do you think it'd be instantly recognized as such or
initially just "engine trouble" on par with losing a few fan blades?

DeputyMike September 24th 13 03:29 AM

I was on that C5 when it was hit. We had taken off from BIAP immediately prior to the missile strike. We had been circling over the airport to gain some altitude before heading out over the city to put some distance between us and the ground fire. I think I had just dozed off (looooooong day of travelling, heading out there for my second tour) when I was awakened by a loud "boom." After the boom, it seems like we rocked back and forth a few times, but that may not have happened, it was a very confusing time and quite a while ago! It was fairly evident what had happened (although we weren't being told anything by the crew, if I remember correctly) and we immediately returned to the ground. Although it sure seemed to take forever! I had to leave the plane as soon as possible to escort one of my squad to be checked out by the medics (I think he was in shock, I had to yank his weapon out of his hands and he couldn't speak), so I wasn't able to see the damage that the rest of my detachment got to see. I don't remember much about it, but I think somebody told me the "cone"(?) was missing from the engine. It was one hell of a first day on the job!