AviationBanter

AviationBanter (http://www.aviationbanter.com/index.php)
-   Military Aviation (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   A coworker of mine........... (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=8512)

Mark and Kim Smith March 19th 04 08:40 AM

A coworker of mine...........
 
told me that his uncle flew or was on a crew that flew the B17's into
Oahu three hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He then went on to
tell me that his uncle went on to fly B29's in the Pacific, his
particular bomber was call the Cock Wagon. The nose art depicted a
rooster pulling a wagon. Did some googling and came up with nothing.
Anyone come across such a ship or pics on the web?

My coworker promised to bring in some pics. I told him we could scan
them, maybe post them at heavybombers.com to help preserve them for
future generations. Any other suggestions on what to do with them once
scanned? TIA


M. H. Greaves March 19th 04 12:43 PM

I didnt know yopur friend had cows! lol
"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
...
told me that his uncle flew or was on a crew that flew the B17's into
Oahu three hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He then went on to
tell me that his uncle went on to fly B29's in the Pacific, his
particular bomber was call the Cock Wagon. The nose art depicted a
rooster pulling a wagon. Did some googling and came up with nothing.
Anyone come across such a ship or pics on the web?

My coworker promised to bring in some pics. I told him we could scan
them, maybe post them at heavybombers.com to help preserve them for
future generations. Any other suggestions on what to do with them once
scanned? TIA




Kevin Brooks March 19th 04 02:51 PM


"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
...
told me that his uncle flew or was on a crew that flew the B17's into
Oahu three hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He then went on to
tell me that his uncle went on to fly B29's in the Pacific, his
particular bomber was call the Cock Wagon. The nose art depicted a
rooster pulling a wagon. Did some googling and came up with nothing.
Anyone come across such a ship or pics on the web?

My coworker promised to bring in some pics. I told him we could scan
them, maybe post them at heavybombers.com to help preserve them for
future generations. Any other suggestions on what to do with them once
scanned? TIA


Might want to send them to http://b-29.org as well. I believe they would be
appreciative of any photos and info you can provide them.

Brooks





Mark and Kim Smith March 19th 04 05:57 PM

What's a yopur?

M. H. Greaves wrote:

I didnt know yopur friend had cows! lol
"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
...


told me that his uncle flew or was on a crew that flew the B17's into
Oahu three hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He then went on to
tell me that his uncle went on to fly B29's in the Pacific, his
particular bomber was call the Cock Wagon. The nose art depicted a
rooster pulling a wagon. Did some googling and came up with nothing.
Anyone come across such a ship or pics on the web?

My coworker promised to bring in some pics. I told him we could scan
them, maybe post them at heavybombers.com to help preserve them for
future generations. Any other suggestions on what to do with them once
scanned? TIA









M. H. Greaves March 19th 04 10:06 PM

He he he! you got me back! regards, Mark.
"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
...
What's a yopur?

M. H. Greaves wrote:

I didnt know yopur friend had cows! lol
"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
...


told me that his uncle flew or was on a crew that flew the B17's into
Oahu three hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He then went on to
tell me that his uncle went on to fly B29's in the Pacific, his
particular bomber was call the Cock Wagon. The nose art depicted a
rooster pulling a wagon. Did some googling and came up with nothing.
Anyone come across such a ship or pics on the web?

My coworker promised to bring in some pics. I told him we could scan
them, maybe post them at heavybombers.com to help preserve them for
future generations. Any other suggestions on what to do with them once
scanned? TIA











vintagemxr April 29th 09 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark and Kim Smith (Post 82696)
told me that his uncle flew or was on a crew that flew the B17's into
Oahu three hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He then went on to
tell me that his uncle went on to fly B29's in the Pacific, his
particular bomber was call the Cock Wagon. The nose art depicted a
rooster pulling a wagon. Did some googling and came up with nothing.
Anyone come across such a ship or pics on the web?

My coworker promised to bring in some pics. I told him we could scan
them, maybe post them at heavybombers.com to help preserve them for
future generations. Any other suggestions on what to do with them once
scanned? TIA

Reviving a very old thread here. I was doing a little research because two days ago at the R/C model airplane flying site here in town I met an old gentleman wearing a WWII veterans cap with various insignia. I really treasure those old guys and their stories so I asked him about his service.

He said he'd flown B-29s and such in the South Pacific. Had quite a time of it. We talked about the B-29 and he commented how sweet it was to fly compared to his earlier planes. When I asked him the name of his plane he chuckled, looked around and said semi-quietly "We called it 'The Cock Wagon.'. On the nose it had a rooster pulling a cart. There was supposed to be a girl too but we lost the plane before the nose are was finished."

So there you have it, the pilot of the "Cock Wagon" is in his 80s now, alive and well and flying model airplanes in Casa Grande, AZ.

If I see him again I'll try to get a bit more info from him, maybe a picture. He said for many years he didn't like to talk about the war but now people are asking, especially the younger folks in their 20s, and he was starting to reminisce more.

Doug

parkered April 27th 10 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagemxr (Post 691668)
Reviving a very old thread here. I was doing a little research because two days ago at the R/C model airplane flying site here in town I met an old gentleman wearing a WWII veterans cap with various insignia. I really treasure those old guys and their stories so I asked him about his service.

He said he'd flown B-29s and such in the South Pacific. Had quite a time of it. We talked about the B-29 and he commented how sweet it was to fly compared to his earlier planes. When I asked him the name of his plane he chuckled, looked around and said semi-quietly "We called it 'The Cock Wagon.'. On the nose it had a rooster pulling a cart. There was supposed to be a girl too but we lost the plane before the nose are was finished."

So there you have it, the pilot of the "Cock Wagon" is in his 80s now, alive and well and flying model airplanes in Casa Grande, AZ.

If I see him again I'll try to get a bit more info from him, maybe a picture. He said for many years he didn't like to talk about the war but now people are asking, especially the younger folks in their 20s, and he was starting to reminisce more.

Doug

My dad was a crew member on the "Cock Wagon" in Guam in WWII. He was a side gunner, although he said they took out the side guns and covered the hatch so that they could fly higher and faster. He said they got a new commander who took offense at the name and they had to change it to "Little Red Wagon".

vintagemxr April 28th 10 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkered (Post 727842)
My dad was a crew member on the "Cock Wagon" in Guam in WWII. He was a side gunner, although he said they took out the side guns and covered the hatch so that they could fly higher and faster. He said they got a new commander who took offense at the name and they had to change it to "Little Red Wagon".

Thanks for that extra bit of info. Unfortunately I have not seen the pilot of "The Cock Wagon" since that one morning last year. I'd still like to get more information from him and a picture. If your dad is still with us please give him my thanks for his service to our country.

Doug

parkered April 28th 10 11:00 PM

If you ever run into him again, I'd like to know his name and if he'd be willing to talk to me that would be really great. My recollection is that the pilot's first name was Paul, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, my dad passed away 5 years ago. I know he would have liked to see an old crewmate.

I think my mom still has some pictures, but I don't remember any of the plane or the nose art, which was what originally prompted my search.

vintagemxr April 29th 10 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkered (Post 727922)
If you ever run into him again, I'd like to know his name and if he'd be willing to talk to me that would be really great. My recollection is that the pilot's first name was Paul, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, my dad passed away 5 years ago. I know he would have liked to see an old crewmate.

I think my mom still has some pictures, but I don't remember any of the plane or the nose art, which was what originally prompted my search.

I'll try to make it out to the flying field this weekend and talk to some of the regulars. Most likely they will know the gentleman's name at least.

If I can track the man down I'll see if I can get him in contact with you. He may be a "snowbird" i.e. someone who lives elsewhere most of the year and only winters in AZ. Very common around here and those folks disappear long about the end of March and then re-appear in the Fall.

Do you know which bomber group your dad was in?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
AviationBanter.com