-   Piloting (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flying gloves (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19270)

RobsSanta January 2nd 05 09:33 AM

Flying gloves

Looking for suggestions for a good pair of gloves that could be used for
flying. I have seen these NoMex gloves a lot on eBay but haven't decided
yet .

Any suggestions ?

Rob

Bob Noel January 2nd 05 12:22 PM

In article [email protected],
"RobsSanta" wrote:

Looking for suggestions for a good pair of gloves that could be used for
flying. I have seen these NoMex gloves a lot on eBay but haven't decided
yet .

Any suggestions ?

anything suitable for driving would be fine for flying most aircraft.

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like

Cub Driver January 2nd 05 12:26 PM

The only gloves I've ever found that give me any digital dexterity are
a $10 pair of fleece. I appreciate that they would be awful in a fire,
but they are warm enough for any flying I do (we can't rent the Cubs
unless the air temp is 20 degrees F or higher) and I can tune the
radio with them etc.

Earlier I tried fingerless Ragg gloves (my fingers froze) and a thin
but insualted pair of leather driving gloves (my fingers got cold and
I couldn't tune the radio).

Frankster January 2nd 05 01:21 PM

I don't use gloves for flying, but, I do for riding my motorcycle, where
warmth and dexterity are required. I have found, over the years, that the
best gloves for me are "batters gloves". Sold at most sporting goods
stores. They usually are made of a combination of very thin leather uppers
and grip areas with fabric elsewhere. Usually they have tiny air holes in
the leather for breathing. All in all, a good mix of comfort, warmth and
dexterity. Oh... and the price is right... usually about $10-$15 a pair.

-Frank

news:[email protected]

Jay Honeck January 2nd 05 02:07 PM

Any suggestions ?

Personally, I like the cloth gloves with zillions of little rubberized
"dots" on the palms and fingers. They allow sufficient dexterity without
sealing your hands into a sweaty, airtight glove.

Of course, they come off within minutes of takeoff, thanks to Mr. Piper's
awesome heater...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Helen Woods January 2nd 05 03:29 PM

I use the nomex ones for work. We get them from:

http://www.flightsuits.com/

They aren't the warmest things in the world, but they do maintain dexterity.

You might try layering some wool fingerless gloves on top if it gets
really cold.

Word of warning on Nomex from ebay - depending upon how the previous
owner warshed and cared for the product, it may have lost its fire
resistancy.

Helen

john smith January 2nd 05 04:10 PM

Look at the online outdoor outfitters websites or visit a nearby
backpacking store. Look for glove liners and shells. This will give you
a two-part system to play with. The liners will be fleece or
polypropolene (sic) and the shells may be leather or combination of
synthetics which will give you waterproof/windproof protection.
Use the shells for preflighting and remove them and use the liners for
cabin tasks. The thin polypro liners fit like a second skin and will
keep your hands warm and give you the dexterity you need.

G.R. Patterson III January 2nd 05 04:50 PM

RobsSanta wrote:

Any suggestions ?

I use a pair of thin deerskin gloves. They're thin enough to give me an
excellent feel for the controls and switches, and they're still warm enough for
a New Jersey winter. I'm not overly concerned about fire, but leather is good
protection for short periods of time. The only problem with these is that they
are very tight and somewhat difficult to put on.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

Andrew Sarangan January 2nd 05 05:00 PM

Why do you need gloves for flying? If it is really necessary, I would not
use anything more than a fabric or wool gloves. You can get them at any
discount store for a dollar.

"RobsSanta" wrote in news:cdPBd.42403$Cl3.16993
@fed1read03:

Robert M. Gary January 2nd 05 05:06 PM

RobsSanta wrote:
Looking for suggestions for a good pair of gloves that could be used

for
flying. I have seen these NoMex gloves a lot on eBay but haven't

decided
yet .

I'll be interested in seeing the responses. My Mooney has the generic
metal yokes. In the summer, I've often worried that my sweaty hands
will slip off the yoke at a bad time.

-Robert