-   -   SN10 Question (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=287369)

JulietUniform June 14th 21 01:40 AM

SN10 Question

After performing a leak check on my TE system, my SN10 now sounds a continuous tone after power up. (On the ground, haven’t tried in the air) It is not in speed to fly mode but is in vario mode. Prior to this it was always “silent” after start up. Have I possibly damaged an internal sensor that requires sending it in to Ilec? I have updated it to latest version 2.47.
John U.

John Sinclair[_5_] June 14th 21 02:37 PM

SN10 Question

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:40:33 PM UTC-7, JulietUniform wrote:
After performing a leak check on my TE system, my SN10 now sounds a continuous tone after power up. (On the ground, haven’t tried in the air) It is not in speed to fly mode but is in vario mode. Prior to this it was always “silent” after start up. Have I possibly damaged an internal sensor that requires sending it in to Ilec? I have updated it to latest version 2.47.

Tell me about the “leak check” you performed? The way I do it is to remove all instruments except the airspeed indicator, then apply syringe pressure at the total energy probe. Pump it up to 100 knots as seen on the airspeed, then watch it for at least :01 minute without any drop in airspeed. Some variometers won’t tolerate that kind of pressure.
There is a good SN-10b on Glider Source with remote control and upload brick for $800 bucks, if necessary.
JJ

John Sinclair[_5_] June 14th 21 04:30 PM

SN10 Question

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:37:25 AM UTC-7, John Sinclair wrote:
[...]

Oops, I use a separate airspeed when I do a leak test. If you are using the installed airspeed, you need to switch the total energy line over to the pressure side of your airspeed indicator.

JulietUniform June 14th 21 08:55 PM

SN10 Question

Thanks John,
Yes, I isolated the TE system and used a very small “mini” aquarium pump. I’m afraid I have damaged an internal sensor. In “vario mode” it sounds a constant tone. In “STF” mode it is silent and increasing the MC setting causes the vario needle to move down (as it should?) with no sound.
JU

Karl Striedieck[_2_] June 15th 21 12:14 AM

SN10 Question

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 3:55:36 PM UTC-4, JulietUniform wrote:
Thanks John,
Yes, I isolated the TE system and used a very small “mini” aquarium pump. I’m afraid I have damaged an internal sensor. In “vario mode” it sounds a constant tone. In “STF” mode it is silent and increasing the MC setting causes the vario needle to move down (as it should?) with no sound.
JU

My SN-10 always sounds a tone when I turn it on and the needle points to 400 fpm up. Works normally in flight. My settings are for relative netto.

KS

JulietUniform June 15th 21 01:01 AM

SN10 Question

Thank you Mr. Striedieck. Hopefully I have not damaged anything. Prior to doing the leak test it never made a continuous tone when I turned it on. It would “beep” then be silent. Now, the tone is always on.
John U.