-   Piloting (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=285350)

Geoff Rove April 24th 21 01:32 AM

Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup

"

SAN DIEGO — Five people escaped uninjured on Saturday when a corporate jet they were in crashed upon takeoff at the Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport in Kearny Mesa, fire officials said.
At 11:47 a.m. Saturday, the jet hit the dirt at the end of the runway and lost its wheels, said Battalion Chief Matt Nilsen of the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
The fire department said the private jet was loaded down with 3,400 gallons of fuel when the jet experienced a malfunction causing the pilots to abort the take off.

All five people on board got off the jet with no injuries reported, Nilsen said. Fire units arrived at the airport at 3799 John J. Montgomery Drive at 11:54 a.m. The Chief also told CBS 8 that the plane was headed to Hawaii.
.....and NOW....
April 20, 2021 5:27 PM PT
SAN DIEGO —
A plane crash in February at Montgomery Field requiring nearly $1 million in environmental clean-up efforts forced the San Diego City Council to approve on Tuesday an emergency influx of cash for the city’s airports fund.
The $1.5 million in cash will cover $911,000 for the crash clean-up, $340,000 to upgrade buildings at Montgomery Field in Kearny Mesa for a possible tenant, and $270,000 to analyze proposed upgrades at Brown Field in Otay Mesa. The $340,000 will cover heating and ventilation upgrades to buildings at Montgomery Field that the city acquired when they were abandoned by a former tenant.

The city hopes to get reimbursed for the clean-up costs by the pilot responsible for the Feb. 13 crash or his insurance company, Jorge , the city’s deputy director for airports, told the council’s budget committee in early April.

The plane failed to leave the ground when trying to take off and then crashed into a Federal Aviation Administration navigational aid, ran through an environmentally sensitive vernal pool and then crashed, spilling 3,400 gallons of fuel, Jorge said."

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-airports-fund

Jim Pennino April 24th 21 05:08 PM

Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup

Geoff Rove wrote:
"

snip

The $1.5 million in cash will cover $911,000 for the crash clean-up, $340,000 to upgrade buildings at Montgomery Field in Kearny Mesa for a possible tenant, and $270,000 to analyze proposed upgrades at Brown Field in Otay Mesa. The $340,000 will cover heating and ventilation upgrades to buildings at Montgomery Field that the city acquired when they were abandoned by a former tenant.

I understand the idea of recovering damages from those that caused the
damage, however $911,000 seems like a bloated number to me and I fail to
see why the pilot/owner/insurance company would be responsible for
paying for upgrades of any kind.

snip

Geoff Rove April 25th 21 10:17 PM

Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11:16:05 AM UTC-5, Jim Pennino wrote:
Geoff Rove wrote:
"

snip

The $1.5 million in cash will cover $911,000 for the crash clean-up, $340,000 to upgrade buildings at Montgomery Field in Kearny Mesa for a possible tenant, and $270,000 to analyze proposed upgrades at Brown Field in Otay Mesa. The $340,000 will cover heating and ventilation upgrades to buildings at Montgomery Field that the city acquired when they were abandoned by a former tenant.

I understand the idea of recovering damages from those that caused the
damage, however $911,000 seems like a bloated number to me and I fail to
see why the pilot/owner/insurance company would be responsible for
paying for upgrades of any kind.

snip

I assume the City of San Diego has invoices for the $911,000 they say the cleanup cost. The other costs aren't being charged to the "pilots" insurance.. Not surprised that an airport tenant would abandon a building.

Jim Pennino April 26th 21 04:24 PM

Geoff Rove wrote:
On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11:16:05 AM UTC-5, Jim Pennino wrote:
Geoff Rove wrote:
"

snip

[...]

You mean like the invoices hospitals give for $50 aspirin tablets?

Daniel[_7_] April 29th 21 01:58 AM

Jim Pennino writes:

Geoff Rove wrote:
On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11:16:05 AM UTC-5, Jim Pennino wrote:
Geoff Rove wrote:
"
snip

[...]

Lol, the fact that they're going to attempt collecting a million dollars
from a pilot is mindboggling. Did they even get a report from the NTSB
on the cause?

Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Geoff Rove May 13th 21 12:53 AM

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-5, Daniel wrote:
Jim Pennino writes:

Geoff Rove wrote:
On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11:16:05 AM UTC-5, Jim Pennino wrote:
Geoff Rove wrote:
"
snip

[...]

I'm guessing the jet hitting a dirt berm at the end of the runway upon pilots aborting is the cause. Removing dirt soaked by 3400 gallons of fuel isn't cheap. MCAS El Toro had huge underground clean up costs
after it closed.

befonoy February 2nd 22 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rove (Post 1043832)
Jim Pennino writes:

Geoff Rove wrote:
On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11:16:05 AM UTC-5, Jim Pennino wrote:
Geoff Rove wrote:
"
snip

[...]

You are right , 3400 gallons of fuel is too much