-   -   New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=243820)

Jonathan St. Cloud February 9th 18 07:31 PM

New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Was so tried of the hard deck discussion thought I would try a discussion of dreams. After seeing the vision of Elon Musk with his Falcon Heavy, I had to pinch myself. Those two boosters landing in sync..

What are some of the innovative, new technology, original thought, scifi dreams, would you like to see in a brand new glider design? Let your inter Elon Musk flow.

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

If you were to design a glider what are your dreams?

18/21 or 15/18 meters

Sustainer, jet, electric, two stroke?

Light weight: I would love to be able to get to 7.5 pounds with a 220 lb pilot+chute and up to 12ish pounds wet. This might take new manufacturing methods and materials. Perhaps pre-preg, vacuum bagging...?

Pedestal mounted wing?

Bob Kuykendall February 9th 18 08:55 PM

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 10:58:59 AM UTC-8, wrote:
...3D printing/plastic sticking together technology

In terms of cost per unit mass, 3D printing is actually pretty pricy. Note that Toyota isn't exactly 3D printing Camrys. I use it for one or two parts where the benefits outweigh the costs. I'm also looking at using 3D printed molds for some parts.

In terms of cost per unit strength or stiffness, 3D printing ranges from mediocre to terrible. Once they can reliably cost-effectively 3D print 1" long carbon fibers, it will be time to take notice.

The technologies to watch for in glider manufacture are robot tow, tape, and swath placement for conventional composite materials (carbon, aramid, fiberglass). We'd use them to supplement and eventually replace the kinds of skilled labor it takes to make large composite moldings like fuselages and wing skins.

One thing I could really use is an overhead gantry robot that could:

* Lay down and saturate carbon fiber for a wing skin or fuselage shell. It would scan the shape of the mold and distribute and cut off the swaths accordingly, and also saturate the carbon with epoxy. It would also react appropriately to minor irregularities in the placement of the plies or core foam panels.

* Cut and bevel sandwich core foam panels.

* Distribute beads of epoxy paste for bonding operations (fuselage and wing clousures).

* Locate and drill alignment holes

If I had one of those, I could really ramp up production and lower prices. It would also make it much easier to demonstrate compliance with ASTM standards, so I could justify the expense of a certification program and sell finished, flyable S-LSA gliders.

--Bob K.

Ross[_3_] February 9th 18 09:25 PM

New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Bob, just a thought. Get someone to scan your moulds, create a set of files to have your plies cut to, order them in pre-preg, pre cut and simply lay it up, bag it and cook it. The right pre-preg systems have a long outlife so you shouldn’t have too many issues with time

Just a thought.
(We do it all in house)

ND February 9th 18 09:36 PM

[...]

•if you want hyper elon musk futuristic, i've had some interesting ideas that seem totally and completely unfeasable, but then... future technology can surprise you. some of mine are purely imaginative, and not all that practical

First idea:
on-board super high powered de-humidifier. you could dump your ballast just before a climb, and then have the dehumidifier pull water out of the air and replenish water ballast for the next cruise during the climb.

or maybe that's too insanely fast to condense 30 gallons of water out of thin air. i don't know what am i, a scientist? but: suppose you could do it in a half hour rather than a few minutes. that would be perfect for longer record flights where its weak early or late in the day, or helping you get heavy again after dumping during a save.

•Second idea:
telescoping wings. wings that could telescope out to have a higher aspect ratio at the push of a button for long glides or weak weather, and telescope back in to make a lower span, higher wing loading when things are fast. really dynamic flights using many types of lift could benefit from the glider being able to shift gears too. i also thought about a glider that could have its wings sweepback a little sort of like an F-14. wonder how that would work with really fast flight to reduce drag, et cet.

•Smart flaps: automated flaps that make minor adjustments to keep optimal angle of attack

•also, these flaps:

http://www.flxsys.com/flexfoil/

This is something i envisioned for gliders and then i stumbled upon it and realized someone is already working on this! besides eliminating gap seals, drag from gap seals, and improving laminar flow in the aft part of an airfoil, it could be used to modify the airfoil shape for slow and fast flight..

•i always thought it would be cool if there was a glider with Fly-by wire, for very thin wings. the Nixus project is already doing this, so that's cool!
https://www.facebook.com/NixusProjec...3258876640913/

•FES where the prop sits flush in a garage on the fuselage like the more advanced bugwipers do.

•gliders with enough battery power (this one is more battery technology related, enter elon musk) to run a cockpit heater for winter, or high altitude flights flights.

ND February 9th 18 09:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=9ZpAHxMj5lU

Paul Agnew February 9th 18 10:15 PM

New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Pre-fabricated, modular, bolt-on replacement tail booms for Grob 103s and other ships that immediately lose their useful load with a tailboom repair.

Andrzej Kobus February 10th 18 02:57 AM

New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 1:31:46 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

I think, the most original thought was Diana 2 sparless wing, that allowed the highest wing loading range of any sailplane.

Jonathan St. Cloud February 10th 18 03:08 AM

New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Why has that technology not been used in other gliders?

Ben Coleman February 10th 18 04:09 AM

New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Robotic paint/gelcoat removal and reprofiling.

Cheers Ben