-   Aerobatics (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Yee-ha! (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=175)

Bushy July 14th 04 11:43 AM

Yee-ha!

Did it today! After 12 years of watching the sky and dreaming, I finally had
my first fly since buying the farm. (Wonder if anyone can guess why I
stopped flying?)

2 hours 20 minutes of shear joy in two lessons, flew over my farm for the
first time and flew a taildragger to boot! I know some of you will class the
ultralight T500 Thruster as different to a C150, C152 and C172 that I used
for the fifty something hours in my logbook, but it is all helps learn the
feel of the range of craft I want to fly out of my back yard! And the first
time "I" flew was the unlogged four and a half hours dual in a Blanic! I am
doing both ultralight and private and aerobatics, and this way gives me both
worlds! I intend to homebuild at least one aircraft, and probably won't stop
there...... (HMMMMMM,,,,,, High Performance, Complex, Experimental, Aircraft
coming up?)

Considering that my back yard strip is 330 metres (1000 feet) long and over
trees, with a curve and changing slope, a bloody big mountain with a wild
wave, and a few rocks, I've chosen an couple of instructors to give me a
good range of education, from bush piloting and outlandings to agricultural
and upside down stuff!

You know all that stuff about homebuilder's eyes lighting up at tools? Well,
I am waiting for the tow truck to deliver the (very second hand!) runway
cleaning "Tonka Toy"!

The best is yet to come, tomorrow's job is not until 4.00pm, and I'm going
to have a few early morning circuits!!!!!!!

I'm feeling high!
Peter

JB July 14th 04 11:54 AM

"Bushy" wrote in message
Did it today! After 12 years of watching the sky and dreaming, I finally

had
my first fly since buying the farm. (Wonder if anyone can guess why I
stopped flying?)

Glad to see you enjoyed it so much.

And, as you were flying to inspect the farm, surely it must be a tax
deduction....

ChuckSlusarczyk July 14th 04 01:36 PM

In article , JB
says...
Did it today! After 12 years of watching the sky and dreaming, I finally

had
my first fly since buying the farm. (Wonder if anyone can guess why I
stopped flying?)

You bought the farm??...and your still flying? WOW!! Everyone I ever heard of
who "bought the farm" was in no condition to fly. Same with those who have "gone
west" . If true your the second person since Unka Bob and his miraculous
resurrection to have performed this feat :-)

See ya

Chuck(Will wonders ever cease?) S

Mal July 14th 04 02:08 PM

Have fun is it a snow plough of bob cat..

Blanic ! Blanik two seater glider picture
http://www.mals.net/scgc/pages/LET%2...l%20Kovari.htm ?

I had a ADO and did 0.5 in a C172SP right on sunset 0.2 night flying 63
hours total now.

Mal

Richard Lamb July 14th 04 02:12 PM

ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:

In article , JB
says...
Did it today! After 12 years of watching the sky and dreaming, I finally

had
my first fly since buying the farm. (Wonder if anyone can guess why I
stopped flying?)

You bought the farm??...and your still flying? WOW!! Everyone I ever heard of
who "bought the farm" was in no condition to fly. Same with those who have "gone
west" . If true your the second person since Unka Bob and his miraculous
resurrection to have performed this feat :-)

See ya

Chuck(Will wonders ever cease?) S

It happens occasionally.
According to legend, BoB rose from the dead at Pinkyville.

Richard :nose)

G. Burkhart July 14th 04 02:21 PM

"ChuckSlusarczyk" wrote in message
In article ,

JB
says...
Did it today! After 12 years of watching the sky and dreaming, I

finally
had
my first fly since buying the farm. (Wonder if anyone can guess why I
stopped flying?)

You bought the farm??...and your still flying? WOW!! Everyone I ever heard

of
who "bought the farm" was in no condition to fly. Same with those who have

"gone
west" . If true your the second person since Unka Bob and his miraculous
resurrection to have performed this feat :-)

I thought it was normal for people that 'bought the farm' to get their
Wings,,,, and maybe a harp?

Bushy July 14th 04 03:00 PM

Have fun is it a snow plough of bob cat..

I'm 100km west of Brisbane, so I don't get much snow, but I'm high enough up
the range to get some good frosts. My problem is all the bloody rocks,
ranging from tailwheel size up to tractor wheel size.

The toy is a Komatsu D21S-5 Dozer Shovel (or drott). It's 3810kg with a 0.4
metre (0.52 yard) bucket and next time anyone complains about an oil change
on their plane, this one takes 34.5 litres of hydraulic oil and 43.5 litres
of engine and gearbox oil. And for those of you that think that's not much
compared to their plane, this little four cylinder diesel has 38 horses.

And just like a plane, it's so many years old it's now registered on
komatsu's website as "rustbucket" so I can call for bits and they can call
up my machine by my customer name and machine reference number.....

Thanks, I am having fun, but yes I did "buy the farm", it was the death of
my flying for many years!!!!!!!!!!

Peter

gatt July 14th 04 05:43 PM

"Bushy" wrote in message

Did it today! After 12 years of watching the sky and dreaming, I finally

had
my first fly since buying the farm. (Wonder if anyone can guess why I
stopped flying?)

FYI: According to various sources, in the early days of military aviation
when a pilot augered the government sent his family a benefit check.
Because of this, pilots referred to crashing as "buying the farm."

By the way, congratulations! :

-c

Vaughn July 15th 04 02:00 AM

"Mal" wrote in message
Have fun is it a snow plough of bob cat..

Blanic ! Blanik two seater glider picture

http://www.mals.net/scgc/pages/LET%2...l%20Kovari.htm ?

I had a ADO and did 0.5 in a C172SP right on sunset 0.2 night flying 63
hours total now.

I have a bunch of my early flying hours in the Blanik. To this day, it is
my only retractable time. Of course; they would never let me actually retract
the gear! Does that count?

Since this is also posted to raa, the Blanik can do basic aerobatics. The
one I used to fly would drop a wing enthusiastically in a deep stall and, not
surprisingly, made a great spin trainer. Also sometimes used as a jump plane
because it can be flown without the canopy.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/skydivers.html (bottom of page).

Vaughn

Smutny July 15th 04 03:01 AM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:00:21 GMT, "Vaughn"
wrote:

snip

Since this is also posted to raa, the Blanik can do basic aerobatics. The
one I used to fly would drop a wing enthusiastically in a deep stall and, not
surprisingly, made a great spin trainer. Also sometimes used as a jump plane
because it can be flown without the canopy.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/skydivers.html (bottom of page).

Vaughn

Man.... that gives me the willies just looking at the pics...

-j-