-   Owning (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I want to start (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=13834)

Carlos Estopier April 30th 04 05:26 PM

I want to start

Hello:

I always had the goal and the illusion of flying on my own, now I have
the means to do it... so I have three questions:

a) What will be the best choice of airplane, for a firt timmer like
myself, considering, price range, flying range and easiness to learn
and fly?

b) Used or new?

c) I also would like to take with me around 6pax with me

I live in Mexico City, but my plan is to get all the instruction in
the US (Tx, Fl), buy there and bring the aircraft later on to Mexico.

Thank you in advance

Carlos
+52+55+5553-1928

Jay Honeck April 30th 04 07:24 PM

c) I also would like to take with me around 6pax with me

I don't know of a single engine plane that will do this, short of a Cessna
208 Caravan?

Since they run something around a million bucks a copy, you might want to
scale this goal back a bit!

If you can get by only carrying five passengers, look for a Piper Cherokee
Six.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

G.R. Patterson III May 1st 04 01:59 AM

TripFarmer wrote:

Are there now any restrictions with foreigners taking pilot lessons in the US?

Student visa is required for Europeans. Dunno if that's the case with fellow
Americans.
George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.

Ray Andraka May 1st 04 03:43 AM

You can get a Cherokee Six with a seventh seat (mine has it). If the six
passengers include children, this is a workable seating arrangement. If all
adults, they'd better be petite and on very friendly terms. The seventh seat
is a filler about 10 inches wide that goes between the seats in the middle row
so that the middle row seats three across. The cabin is 49 inches wide, which
means a scant 16" per person. AFAIK, the seventh seat is only available with
the forward facing seats. I'm not aware of any other piston singles that can
seat more than six with the exception of an Antonov AN-2, which is a huge
soviet biplane with a big radial engine. Also, as a freshly minted pilot,
you'll probably find the insurance for something with more than six seats to
be prohibitive.

Jay Honeck wrote:

c) I also would like to take with me around 6pax with me

I don't know of a single engine plane that will do this, short of a Cessna
208 Caravan?

Since they run something around a million bucks a copy, you might want to
scale this goal back a bit!

If you can get by only carrying five passengers, look for a Piper Cherokee
Six.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

sami May 1st 04 06:47 AM

Used Cessna T206,for high alt, short rwy. if you are a mx citizen,get
your PPL.In MEX. if you are U.S then go to TX,or FL.if you find a plane
I can help you fly to MX. I hold U.S ppl. as well as a mexican PPL.

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Carlos Estopier May 1st 04 05:10 PM

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:[email protected]_s52...
c) I also would like to take with me around 6pax with me

I don't know of a single engine plane that will do this, short of a Cessna
208 Caravan?

Since they run something around a million bucks a copy, you might want to
scale this goal back a bit!

Ok ..... I got the point, my budget is about 400,000 .... so I will have
to settle for something else, and yes definitly I will have all the
instruction in Mexico and later on in the US, so I can fly between the
two country.

I have seen so many different options and my favorite is the Cirrus, it
has a solid range and performance .... any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Carlos

Carlos Estopier May 1st 04 05:16 PM

sami wrote in message ...
Used Cessna T206,for high alt, short rwy. if you are a mx citizen,get
your PPL.In MEX. if you are U.S then go to TX,or FL.if you find a plane
I can help you fly to MX. I hold U.S ppl. as well as a mexican PPL.

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Thanks, do you know how much and how long does it takes to obtain
the ppl in the US, and in Mexico, my first choice is a Cirrus (any
thoughts?).

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

Dave S May 1st 04 06:30 PM

How about you learn to fly first in a rented plane, THEN go buy something..

I have heard of too many instances where someone buys more plane than
they can handle.. and end up selling it in disgust. Its NOT like owning
a car.

Dave

Jürgen Exner May 2nd 04 05:06 PM

Carlos Estopier wrote:
I always had the goal and the illusion of flying on my own, now I have
the means to do it... so I have three questions:

a) What will be the best choice of airplane, for a firt timmer like
myself, considering, price range, flying range and easiness to learn
and fly?

I would reverse the sequence: first get your PP licence, then buy a plane.
Then you don't waste a lot of money in case something turns up during your
training that makes you change your mind.

jue