-   -   EASA AD on FES battery systems (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=238894)

JS[_5_] September 8th 17 05:14 PM

EASA AD on FES battery systems

Saw the document on [Aus-Soaring] thanks to John Welsh.
Link to UK site below.
Jim

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/...D20170167E.pdf

Steve Leonard[_2_] September 8th 17 07:37 PM

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:14:40 AM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Saw the document on [Aus-Soaring] thanks to John Welsh.
Link to UK site below.
Jim

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/...D20170167E.pdf

Hmm... I wonder what an approved modification to the battery pack or its installation consists of?

JS[_5_] September 8th 17 08:23 PM

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:14:40 AM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Saw the document on [Aus-Soaring] thanks to John Welsh.
Link to UK site below.
Jim

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/...D20170167E.pdf

Hmm... I wonder what an approved modification to the battery pack or its installation consists of?

Wondered that too, as the only option listed is to remove the batteries.
Further down the AD are links to manufacturers websites which will hopefully have details.
Jim

2KA September 8th 17 10:23 PM

EASA AD on FES battery systems

I'm guessing that there is no approved modification yet, and that they wrote the AD that they wrote the AD that way so they won't have to reissue it when the approve one. Perhaps the only way to comply for now is to remove the battery?

Dave Nadler September 8th 17 10:40 PM

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 12:14:40 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
Saw the document on [Aus-Soaring] thanks to John Welsh.
Link to UK site below.
Jim

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/...D20170167E.pdf

Ow Owww OOooowwww...
I hate it when my glider catches fire.
Hasn't happened for a while, last time was in 2008, but it was only a small fire..

Anybody have any more *facts* about the event that inspired this AD?

[email protected] September 9th 17 07:03 PM

EASA AD on FES battery systems

nteresting they don't mention the Silent 2 FES, the Mini LAK or the Ventus 3 FES.

BTW I ordered a D2C FES a year ago with delivery in Nov 18. Little bit jittery. Wonder if I can install pedals

Chris

krasw September 10th 17 07:48 AM

lauantai 9. syyskuuta 2017 21.03.15 UTC+3 kirjoitti:
nteresting they don't mention the Silent 2 FES, the Mini LAK or the Ventus 3 FES.

Chris

They are not EASA certified at the moment?

Duster[_2_] September 10th 17 11:28 PM

EASA AD on FES battery systems

PM sent
Anybody have any more *facts* about the event that inspired this AD?

Andy Blackburn[_3_] September 11th 17 02:00 AM

EASA AD on FES battery systems

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:14:40 AM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Saw the document on [Aus-Soaring] thanks to John Welsh.
Link to UK site below.
Jim

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/...D20170167E.pdf

Hmm... I wonder what an approved modification to the battery pack or its installation consists of?

What battery chemistry are they using? LiPos?

9B

Renny[_2_] September 11th 17 02:17 AM

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 7:00:44 PM UTC-6, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:14:40 AM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Saw the document on [Aus-Soaring] thanks to John Welsh.
Link to UK site below.
Jim

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/...D20170167E.pdf

Hmm... I wonder what an approved modification to the battery pack or its installation consists of?

What battery chemistry are they using? LiPos?

9B

Andy - You are correct!