-   Owning (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   molding plexiglas websites? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=14828)

[email protected] February 4th 05 02:21 AM

molding plexiglas websites?

Hi all,

I'm want to replace the windows in my airplane and want to make my own.

I've got an oven, piece of plexiglas and the old window.

Are there any good websites with information on how to do this without
killing myself?

Thanks

Dave

-- February 4th 05 02:35 AM

wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I'm want to replace the windows in my airplane and want to make my own.

I've got an oven, piece of plexiglas and the old window.

It's NOT Plexiglass- It's Lexan.

Lot's of info he
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+form+lexan

Edwin

DaveSproul February 4th 05 02:39 AM

I'm want to replace the windows in my airplane and want to make my own.

You would have to be, um, certifiably crazy, right? I have a plexiglas heat
strip and enjoy making curved custom pieces of all kinds. But to expect to be
able to pass muster in an airplane for structural strength and visual
distortion and air seal and fire resistance, and, and...have I taken the joke
bait or something?

DS, Bethesda, MD

[email protected] February 4th 05 03:49 AM

Nope,
This is the very small third window in an old bonanza. Lots of older
bonanza's didn't have a window here and it was an option.
i have a clear one to put in, but i want to tint it. There there doesn't
need to be one there in the first place, the tinted one won't pass as
much heat/uv.
I as an owner can make a window if I want as an owner produced part and
I as an A&P can install it as such.
Adding tint to a clear plastic window isn't suggested as the tint can
craze the plastic.

It's not a compound curve just a bend along a single axis.

Hope this helps

Dave

Denny February 4th 05 01:53 PM

The home builders do this all the time... Check into the
rec.aviation.various hombuilders groups for detailed instructions on
how to to do this... Also, the COZY MK-4 forum will have archives on
this (I specifically remember reading this topic in the past, with
pictures), as will various websites involving Vans RV builders (I'm
only fmailiar with the RV-7 group, so do some googling)... And, Dan
Checkoway's site (rvproject.com) might have some info (not sure if he
did any heat forming)
Usually the guys are making wing tip strobe light covers, etc., things
with severe compound curves, so a simple bend should be doable without
too much agony...

But, the basic drill is to make a smooth form (wood or plaster), cover
it with felt, heat the plexi in the oven till just softened, quickly
lay it on the form and draw a mandrel/collar down around the perimeter
to stretch/drape it to the form, cool, trim to size, and voila...

Denny

Rich February 4th 05 03:06 PM

Are you SURE you want to do this?
I think the piece is available from Great Lakes Aero for $44 per side.
Seems like an awful lot of work (scrap?) for something you can buy. Not
many Bonanza parts available for $44.

Rich

Robert Bates February 5th 05 03:32 AM

When I was in A&P school, we heated it ( can't remember what to ) then
formed it over a mold by hand using clean white cotton gloves being careful
not to stay in one spot too long.

COUGARNFW February 5th 05 07:48 AM

Dave...

I was worried that no one mentioned the inhalation hazard when using the
kitchen oven and then I searched and found the saved portion of AC 43.13-1B and
it had other good things to know.

It suggests temperatures and mentions that if you try to warm too fast or with
too high a heat, it will bubble and you will have to try again. They also tell
you why you need a new pair of cotton gloves, and why you make the piece larger
that it will be trimmed and how to apply weights at the edges to cause the
plastic to form and stay formed.

Good ideas all. AC 43.13-1B.

And...don't hurry the heating.

The hazard I recall? Heating at too high a temperature and causing gases to be
expelled by the plastic breaking down...and then there is the item of using gas
or electric ovens...not stated anywhere....never use a gas oven.

Try some scraps to find the right temperature.

Follow the guidelines and it is easy.

The tinted glasses might be a bit different than clear because of radiation
absorption, so...scraps first.

Neal

Jon A. February 5th 05 02:18 PM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:49:47 -0600, wrote:

Nope,
This is the very small third window in an old bonanza. Lots of older
bonanza's didn't have a window here and it was an option.

Never an option. The a/c came with it or it didn't. many owners of
the oldies put a 3rd window kit in themselves. Great for visibility
when backing the plane up, but destroyed the classic look.

i have a clear one to put in, but i want to tint it. There there doesn't
need to be one there in the first place, the tinted one won't pass as
much heat/uv.
I as an owner can make a window if I want as an owner produced part and
I as an A&P can install it as such.
Adding tint to a clear plastic window isn't suggested as the tint can
craze the plastic.

Who said that? Are you speaking of the legendary owner manufactured
parts myth that has been repeated so many times that folks are proving
it to be true? Besides, if you count your time you've already spent
too much screwing with this. They're about $30.00 each from GLAP.
And since they're not that "bent" it shouldn't be too much of a
problem to make your own.