-   Rotorcraft (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Autogyro Disk Loading Question (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=246232)

[email protected] April 27th 18 01:00 AM

Autogyro Disk Loading Question

On Wednesday, 19 March 1997 21:00:00 UTC+13, Stephen Lund wrote:
I am wondering what might be the theoretical and/or practical MINIMUM
disk loading for an autogyro and what might be the characteristics or
dificulties in flying such a lightly loaded disk?

Steve Lund

If you mean wing-loading in cruise - it is a trade-off with flight speed. The bigger the disc, the lower the disc loading, the higher the hover-efficiency (or whatever you want to call it in autorotation - I don't think the momentum argument changes) but the lower the flight speed. Also, there are practical limits to rotor diameter to do with blade-droop and ground-handling. Most designs seem to be around 10 kg/m2. Above that the efficiency falls off.....