-   -   Audio recording of RAF Lancaster under nightfighter attack (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=6499)

Stolly September 27th 03 12:55 AM

Audio recording of RAF Lancaster under nightfighter attack

As far as i know this is authentic.

Does anyone know anymore about this ?

Is it indeed authentic ?

http://www.stolly.org.uk/lanc.wav

Its a 400k wav file.

Brian September 27th 03 07:39 AM

Sounds fake - too calm - even considering the Brit resolve.

Richard Brooks September 27th 03 10:53 AM

Stolly wrote:
As far as i know this is authentic.

Does anyone know anymore about this ?

Is it indeed authentic ?

http://www.stolly.org.uk/lanc.wav

Its a 400k wav file.

Dunno but there is an archiving service by the IWM and they'll fill a CD-R
with stuff you ask for, for about a tenner which is very cheap.

All that wartime recording by in-the-field news gatherers can be yours for
little money!

Richard.

Stolly September 27th 03 02:06 PM

I was just having a discussion with my father about this the other day.

He was fighting with the British Army in Malaya while the US was in Vietnam
around 1965 and said that the contrast between the radio discipline used by
the RAF Hunter pilots on ground attack missions was like the difference
between night and day compared to the US pilots flying similar missions over
Vietnam.

Malaya was close enough to pick up the US comms coming out of Vietnam.

He said "Our Hunter pilots were Target 2 miles. Diving now, Tally ho" (yes
they actually said Tally ho) "the Yanks were shouting and swearing about
ground fire this and f*cking that"

So the discipline on the recording is in character, according to my father.

et...

Richard Brooks September 27th 03 03:10 PM

Stolly wrote:
really, how do you go about arranging that, can you do it via the web
or do you have to go there ?

Well, it was all because I missed a copy of The Golden Hour LP entitled
Aeroplanes of World War II which I had lent to someone and never got it
back, you know the score.

Anyway, as the source of the LP was from IWM recordins I telephoned the
Imperial War Museum and a very nice woman told me that they had a service
where you could mention the stuff you wanted and they'd slap half an hours
stuff on a CD for a fiver or an hours stuff for a tenner. Or you could go
there and listen through then select what you want.

I've got some leaflet in a folder somewhere and shall dig it out for you,

Richard.

"Richard Brooks" wrote in
message ...

Richard Brooks September 27th 03 03:44 PM

Stolly wrote:
really, how do you go about arranging that, can you do it via the web
or do you have to go there ?

I wonder if the last paragaph is what it refers to ?
http://www.iwm.org.uk/shopping/publicate.htm

Anyway, I can't find the leaflet right now but on a yellow Post-It note I've
found IWM 0207 416 5000 Sound Records - Rosemary.

Richard.

"Richard Brooks" wrote in
message ...

Richard Brooks September 27th 03 03:58 PM

Richard Brooks wrote:
Stolly wrote:
really, how do you go about arranging that, can you do it via the web
or do you have to go there ?

Well, it was all because I missed a copy of The Golden Hour LP
entitled Aeroplanes of World War II which I had lent to someone and
never got it back, you know the score.

I should have stated correctly "Sounds of the Aeroplane at War 1939 - 1945"

If you can grab a copy of that you'll be very lucky. I've burned onto CD my
own copy from some crappy old tapes that a guy was selling at Biggin Hill
some years back and he got them from the BBC archives when they were
throwing their records out.

Richard.

Richard.

Dave Holford September 27th 03 04:10 PM

Stolly wrote:

As far as i know this is authentic.

Does anyone know anymore about this ?

Is it indeed authentic ?

http://www.stolly.org.uk/lanc.wav

Its a 400k wav file.

How was this recording made?

Dave

M. J. Powell September 27th 03 07:28 PM

In message , Richard Brooks
writes

Stolly wrote:
As far as i know this is authentic.

Does anyone know anymore about this ?

Is it indeed authentic ?

http://www.stolly.org.uk/lanc.wav

Its a 400k wav file.

Dunno but there is an archiving service by the IWM and they'll fill
a CD-R with stuff you ask for, for about a tenner which is very
cheap.

All that wartime recording by in-the-field news gatherers can be
yours for little money!

There was a famous recording made by Richard Dimbleby(?) in a Lancaster
over Germany.

The Germans were alleged to have broadcast live from a bomber over
London, but I don't think that would be in the IWM.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell