-   -   OLC in Firefox? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=284416)

Moshe Braner January 11th 21 10:02 PM

OLC in Firefox?

In recent weeks/months I can load an OLC flight page OK in my off-beat
browser (Pale Moon), but if I open the page in Firefox it never shows me
the map of the flight, it forever says "Please wait, loading in
progress..." in that part of the page. But it does show the text info
of the flight. Must be something in the Firefox settings or add-ons?
I have an ad-blocker add-on, but telling it to leave the OLC pages alone
does not help. Firefox used to display OLC pages OK some months back,
before I foolishly allowed it to "upgrade" to a newer version. Anybody
have the same issue? (No, I won't use Chrome...)

Dan Marotta January 11th 21 10:11 PM

OLC in Firefox?

On 1/11/21 3:02 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
In recent weeks/months I can load an OLC flight page OK in my off-beat
browser (Pale Moon), but if I open the page in Firefox it never shows me
the map of the flight, it forever says "Please wait, loading in
progress..." in that part of the page.* But it does show the text info
of the flight.* Must be something in the Firefox settings or add-ons? I
have an ad-blocker add-on, but telling it to leave the OLC pages alone
does not help.* Firefox used to display OLC pages OK some months back,
before I foolishly allowed it to "upgrade" to a newer version.* Anybody
have the same issue?* (No, I won't use Chrome...)

I use the Brave browser now, but I loaded Firefox and displayed one of
my recent flights. I got the same, "Please wait" message but, after 2
or 3 seconds, the map loaded.

--
Dan
5J

Eric Greenwell[_4_] January 11th 21 10:39 PM

OLC in Firefox?

Moshe Braner wrote on 1/11/2021 2:02 PM:
In recent weeks/months I can load an OLC flight page OK in my off-beat browser (Pale Moon), but
if I open the page in Firefox it never shows me the map of the flight, it forever says "Please
wait, loading in progress..." in that part of the page.* But it does show the text info of the
flight.* Must be something in the Firefox settings or add-ons? I have an ad-blocker add-on, but
telling it to leave the OLC pages alone does not help.* Firefox used to display OLC pages OK
some months back, before I foolishly allowed it to "upgrade" to a newer version.* Anybody have
the same issue?* (No, I won't use Chrome...)

Possibly, clearing the browser cache might help. It seems other browsers need this once in a
while; eg, recently Chrome would not display the FAA SUA map it was happy to show me for two
years, but cleared the cache and all is well again.

Martin Gregorie[_6_] January 11th 21 11:08 PM

OLC in Firefox?

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 17:02:55 -0500, Moshe Braner wrote:

In recent weeks/months I can load an OLC flight page OK in my off-beat
browser (Pale Moon), but if I open the page in Firefox it never shows me
the map of the flight, it forever says "Please wait, loading in
progress..." in that part of the page. But it does show the text info
of the flight. Must be something in the Firefox settings or add-ons?
I have an ad-blocker add-on, but telling it to leave the OLC pages alone
does not help. Firefox used to display OLC pages OK some months back,
before I foolishly allowed it to "upgrade" to a newer version. Anybody
have the same issue? (No, I won't use Chrome...)

The only annoyance Firefox has produced recently is to restart after a
shutdown with a list of the last 'n' URLs accessed along the top - with
any non-local reference refuses to open. Delete the lot and FF
immediately shuts down, but at least after that it can be started with
your default home page showing.

My main browser is now Brave, which by and large does just what you
expect.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Dan Marotta January 12th 21 04:04 PM

OLC in Firefox?

On 1/11/21 4:08 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

Another feature of Brave that I like is certain statistics it presents
with the opening of each new tab. It's a setting which you can select
or not, but I like seeing it. Having used Brave for a month or so now,
these are the stats:

31,616 Trackers & ads blocked
1.39GB Bandwidth saved
27minutes Time saved

Why use Google or Firefox any more?

--
Dan
5J

Martin Gregorie[_6_] January 12th 21 05:11 PM

OLC in Firefox?

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 09:04:54 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

[...]

I do have a couple of beefs with Brave:

- my current version, 1.18.78 has taken to pop up a white
'Auto play media - Block|Allow' message at the top of the screen.
This appears in YouTube pages and on sites, such as my gliding club,
which shows a timelapse sequence of the airfield. I find it irritatng
because so far its always triggered by images I want to see and it
can't be disabled or be given a list of URLs that it shouldn't trigger
on.

- more annoying is the fact that, although it can be set as the default
browser it seems to be unable to fully reclaim this setting after either
Firefox has been temporarily given it and then switched back to
Brave.

However apart from the 'Auto play' thing, I like it a lot.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Moshe Braner January 12th 21 07:28 PM

OLC in Firefox?

On 1/12/2021 11:04 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

Firefox with an ad blocker installed does the same. It's only OLC right
now that I am having problems with.

kinsell January 12th 21 08:38 PM

OLC in Firefox?

On 1/12/21 12:28 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
[...]

I'm using up to date Firefox with an ad blocker, and having no problem
with OLC. Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling, if clearing caches
doesn't work?

Matthew Scutter January 15th 21 10:55 PM

OLC in Firefox?

The majority of inexplicable, impossible bugs reported to me on websites I've made are eventually tracked down to overzealous privacy browsers/ad-blockers/antivirus blocking legitimate web functionality silently (for example, WebGL) that could theoretically be used for tracking/advertising.
You will end up seeing a slower, more broken web everywhere you browse, and you'll not likely realize it's due to your browser.

If you feel you must go down this route I recommend what I use, which is Chrome and uBlock Origin - even still l have to semi-frequently disable uBlock when I find a button that won't press or a form that won't submit on a government website or similar.

Soartech January 16th 21 03:09 PM

OLC in Firefox?

l have to semi-frequently disable uBlock when I find a button that won't press or a form that won't submit.

Matt, thanks for this hint! I seem to get this sort of problem a lot more recently. I will disable uBlock then.