-   Naval Aviation (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Vertical and Short Takeoff / Landing Fighters (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=10699)

Aviation January 5th 04 03:14 AM

Vertical and Short Takeoff / Landing Fighters

My young nephew is convinced that the F-14 can land vertically, as
in drop straight down and land. As far as I can tell, that just
ain't so. From the right perspective, can it ever appear that an
F-14 is 'hovering' and 'dropping down' onto a carrier deck? (I
thought F-14 carrier landings would use tail hooks and arrestor
wires.)

Maybe a really skillful pilot can slow down and stall an F-14 a
few feet off the ground and 'drop it' without destroying it making
it LOOK like a VL in a movie or photograph?

(Just in case, he might have meant F-15 or F-16: same question,
though.)

As to real aircraft, I found that there are Harriers (AV-8 series)
currently deployed that are either VTOL, STOL, or STOVL. Are
those the only such aircraft in the US Armed Forces? Others
elsewhere?

I also read about the F-35 (X-35) in development for deployment
in 2008 that is supposed to come in a STOVL version (for the
Marines and Royal Navy).

Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
Can an F-14 land safely vertically?

Thank you for your help.

--
Sent by xanadoof from yahoo piece of com

Michael Williamson January 5th 04 03:27 AM

Aviation wrote:
My young nephew is convinced that the F-14 can land vertically, as
in drop straight down and land. As far as I can tell, that just
ain't so. From the right perspective, can it ever appear that an
F-14 is 'hovering' and 'dropping down' onto a carrier deck? (I
thought F-14 carrier landings would use tail hooks and arrestor
wires.)

..
..
Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
Can an F-14 land safely vertically?

No- neither the F-14, F-15, or F-16 can land vertically,
although arresting gear can make the landing roll fairly short.

Mike

Thomas Schoene January 5th 04 03:34 AM

Aviation wrote:
My young nephew is convinced that the F-14 can land vertically, as
in drop straight down and land. As far as I can tell, that just
ain't so. From the right perspective, can it ever appear that an
F-14 is 'hovering' and 'dropping down' onto a carrier deck? (I
thought F-14 carrier landings would use tail hooks and arrestor
wires.)

No.

Maybe a really skillful pilot can slow down and stall an F-14 a
few feet off the ground and 'drop it' without destroying it making
it LOOK like a VL in a movie or photograph?

That's not how it's ever done. An F-14 will hit a carrier deck at a
horizontal speed of around 120 knots (say 140 miles per hour). It will come
in at a steeper angle than a land plane, but still only a few degrees below
the horizontal.

(Just in case, he might have meant F-15 or F-16: same question,
though.)

Same answer.

As to real aircraft, I found that there are Harriers (AV-8 series)
currently deployed that are either VTOL, STOL, or STOVL. Are
those the only such aircraft in the US Armed Forces? Others
elsewhere?

Harrier is the only STOVL fixed-wing aircraft in US service. It's also used
by the British, Spanish, Italains, Indians, and Thai air forces and navies.
At the moment, it is the only vertical-landing fixed-wing aircraft in the
world.

I also read about the F-35 (X-35) in development for deployment
in 2008 that is supposed to come in a STOVL version (for the
Marines and Royal Navy).

Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
Can an F-14 land safely vertically?

I can't imagine that anyone could confuse the X-35 with an F-14, but I
suppose anything is possible. They don't look at all alike.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Yofuri January 5th 04 05:28 AM

There's not a prayer of an F-14, -15 or -16 landing intact vertically. That
leaves the AV-8 and (sometimes) the V-22.

http://pma275.navair.navy.mil/

Rick

--
My real e-mail address is:

u...

Dudhorse January 5th 04 06:18 AM

"Aviation" wrote in message
u...
[...]

... just how old is your nephew?? Some toy manufacturers give their toys

"abilities" that are NOT real world.

robert arndt January 5th 04 08:02 AM

As to real aircraft, I found that there are Harriers (AV-8 series)
currently deployed that are either VTOL, STOL, or STOVL. Are
those the only such aircraft in the US Armed Forces? Others
elsewhere?

Harrier is the only STOVL fixed-wing aircraft in US service. It's also used
by the British, Spanish, Italains, Indians, and Thai air forces and navies.
At the moment, it is the only vertical-landing fixed-wing aircraft in the
world.

I also read about the F-35 (X-35) in development for deployment
in 2008 that is supposed to come in a STOVL version (for the
Marines and Royal Navy).

Interestingly enough, the Russian are still interested in a future
modernized version of their Yak 141 Freestyle, with stealth added...
whenever funding would permit. Photo of Yak-141:

http://www.bearcraft-online.com/muse...tos/b.89.0.jpg

I think only one survives in the Russian Aviation Museum.

Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
Can an F-14 land safely vertically?

I can't imagine that anyone could confuse the X-35 with an F-14, but I
suppose anything is possible. They don't look at all alike.

Suggestion: go out and buy your nephew a DVD on the X-32 and X-35
competition. I saw one recently at Costco. I'm sure you can find one
online. Either that or rent "Top Gun" @ Blockbuster!

Rob

John Carrier January 5th 04 02:18 PM

The F-14 is a conventional aircraft as far as landing is concerned.
Approach speeds vary with gross weight, but typically around 125-135 KIAS.

R / John

Krztalizer January 5th 04 09:49 PM

The only thing I can think of to explain the lad's comments are that he may
have seen some long focal length approach-to-landing video that shows a Turkey
coming in from nearly head on - from that view through a long enough lens, the
F-14 seems to practically hover, then slam onto the deck. Its just a trick of
the eye and the only way to confuse a Turkey with a VTOL a/c.

v/r
Gordon
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.