-   Home Built (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Aluminum vs Fiberglass landing gear - Pro's and cons. (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=1167)

Bart Hull November 24th 03 05:31 AM

Aluminum vs Fiberglass landing gear - Pro's and cons.

I'm in the process of building a Team Tango (similar to a Glasair IIFG) and have
a few thoughts about the landing gear. The earlier kits had fiberglass "legs"
and the newer kits have aluminum legs.

I flew in a Tango with the aluminum gear and it seemed quite harsh on landing. I
know aluminum gear doesn't have problems with heat transferred from the brakes
or axle getting things too hot and that the gear can be "gun drilled" to have
they hydraulic lines inside the gear itself with just a small connector hose
from the gear leg to the brake caliper.

Does the aluminum gear have less ability to absorb shock?

Does the fiberglass or aluminum gear take a "set" after awhile setting on a ramp?

Problems with brake lines on fiberglass gear? on aluminum gear.

How do you match the appropriate gear to the airplanes weight?

Can aluminum gear be had in a "aerodynamic" tear drop shape or just a
bent bar.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. ( pertaining to the gear )

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Del Rawlins November 24th 03 05:54 AM

We heard you the first time....

On 23 Nov 2003 07:31 PM, Bart Hull posted the following:
[...]

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/