-   Piloting (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The myth that won't die. (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=16083)

Roger Long December 18th 03 08:07 PM

The myth that won't die.

There it was on again, on "Nova" of all places, in a show about the Wright
brothers the night before the centennial.

The "Equal transit, air has to go farther over the top so it's faster" crap.
They even had the worst of the diagrams that usually accompany this
explanation. The air goes over the top of the wing and then turn abruptly
at the trailing edge to follow the flight path with no downwash at all.

The Wright brothers probably knew enough from their experiments and
observations that they would have laughed at this.

--
Roger Long

H. Adam Stevens December 18th 03 10:28 PM

"The air goes over the top of the wing and then turn abruptly
at the trailing edge to follow the flight path with no downwash at all."

Amazing ain't it?
Still ignoring the fact that if the airplane is accelerated UP the air must
be accelerated DOWN.
How many are dead because wake turbulence was so poorly understood for so
long yet it still persists!
arggh!

H.

H. Adam Stevens
Comm Multi Inst

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

EDR December 18th 03 10:38 PM

In article , H. Adam Stevens
wrote:

Still ignoring the fact that if the airplane is accelerated UP the air must
be accelerated DOWN.

Relative wind?

Mackfly December 19th 03 03:44 AM

Relative wind?

no that's my older brother after drinking to much beer.
or
it's the wind you feel on a sailboat under sail. Mac

Dave Stadt December 19th 03 05:41 AM

"Mackfly" wrote in message
Relative wind?

no that's my older brother after drinking to much beer.
or
it's the wind you feel on a sailboat under sail. Mac

That's apparent wind not relative wind.

Dave Stadt December 19th 03 04:15 PM

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Dave Stadt wrote:

"Mackfly" wrote in message
Relative wind?

no that's my older brother after drinking to much beer.
or
it's the wind you feel on a sailboat under sail. Mac

That's apparent wind not relative wind.

His older brother isn't a relative?

Depends on if he is a parent or not.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually

said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

EDR December 19th 03 04:59 PM

Dave Stadt wrote:

"Mackfly" wrote in message
Relative wind?

no that's my older brother after drinking to much beer.
or
it's the wind you feel on a sailboat under sail. Mac

That's apparent wind not relative wind.

His older brother isn't a relative?

Depends on if he is a parent or not.

Well, it's not apparent to me!