-   -   Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=9683)

Ron July 10th 04 05:11 PM

One might also note the tour length for John Kerry. Do we see a trend
among political candidates to "fill the square" then leave?

Apparently there was a lot of that in Vietnam too. Just because someone went,
does not mean it was out of a nobel desire, many went for career progression
purposes. While Kerry was probably trying to emulate John Kennedy, others went
to Nam not for future political careers but to further their military career.

Heck Bush could have been sent to Vietnam (he did volunteer but was considered
too low time), and if he could have flown 50 missions and the Democrats would
be criticising him for not having flown 100, and that he would have not done so
because of his father and political influence.

Ron
PA-31T Cheyenne II
Maharashtra Weather Modification Program
Pune, India

Steven P. McNicoll July 10th 04 05:22 PM

"WalterM140" wrote in message

ANG pilots were direct commissioned?

No.

All of them?

None of them.

B2431 July 10th 04 05:30 PM

From: Ed Rasimus

On 10 Jul 2004 14:37:31 GMT,
(WalterM140) wrote:

Some of these people want to say Bush got no special treatment, but I don't
know of any one who ever (at least since WWII) who got lieutenant's bars
without going through OCS or some sort of officer qualification program.

Bush
went through a six week basic air man's course, and then got a commission.

The "six week basic air man's (sic) course" is OTS. The President did
what every other ANG input to USAF UPT does. He got his commission
through OTS. You might also use the correct terminology while spouting
your propaganda. The commissioning course is Officer Training School,
not Officer Training School which was the term during WW II for Army
"90 day wonders".

Um, Ed? Minor typo there. I believe the second Officer Training School was
supposed to be Officer Candidate School.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

B2431 July 10th 04 05:33 PM

From: (WalterM140)
Date: 7/10/2004 11:04 AM Central Daylight Time
Sure, it's OTS. Does it matter how Bush got his butter bars? The fact

remains
he did.

Yes, and he got them the same way other ANG pilots got them.

ANG pilots were direct commissioned? All of them?

Walt

He went through OTS.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Ed Rasimus July 10th 04 05:34 PM

From: Ed Rasimus

On 10 Jul 2004 14:37:31 GMT,
(WalterM140) wrote:

Some of these people want to say Bush got no special treatment, but I don't
know of any one who ever (at least since WWII) who got lieutenant's bars
without going through OCS or some sort of officer qualification program.

Bush
went through a six week basic air man's course, and then got a commission.

The "six week basic air man's (sic) course" is OTS. The President did
what every other ANG input to USAF UPT does. He got his commission
through OTS. You might also use the correct terminology while spouting
your propaganda. The commissioning course is Officer Training School,
not Officer Training School which was the term during WW II for Army
"90 day wonders".

Um, Ed? Minor typo there. I believe the second Officer Training School was
supposed to be Officer Candidate School.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Sometimes I get caught up in the moment. OCS is Officer Candidate
School.
Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8

B2431 July 10th 04 05:35 PM

From: (WalterM140)
Date: 7/10/2004 9:45 AM Central Daylight Time
Ya know I really don't know what all the fuss was about here.

Bush skipped out on the last two years of his commitment. That's one

problem.

JFKerry skipped out of his last 8 months in the war zone (after receiving
three
scratches in the line of duty).

Senator Kerry is a decorated veteran.

Bush skipped the last two years of his commitment.

Walt

Joseph "If I say it often enough it must be true" Goebbels, is that you?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

B2431 July 10th 04 05:38 PM

From: (WalterM140)
Date: 7/10/2004 9:38 AM Central Daylight Time
The one thing I can say about Bush, is that he was never a communist. I
can't
say the same about JFKerry. I don't vote for communists, pinko's, or listen
much
to people like you who do.

Kerry is a decorated WIA veteran. He's not a communist. Step back from the
Republican Party Kool-aid.

Walt

And the photograph of him with the Viet Cong flag DURING the war means what?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

ArtKramr July 10th 04 05:43 PM

Subject: Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam
From: (WalterM140)
Date: 7/10/2004 7:38 AM Pacific Standard Time
The one thing I can say about Bush, is that he was never a communist. I
can't
say the same about JFKerry. I don't vote for communists, pinko's, or listen
much
to people like you who do.

Kerry is a decorated WIA veteran. He's not a communist. Step back from the
Republican Party Kool-aid.

Walt

It's just neocon bitterness from a president and vice president who ever went
to war when they damn well should have.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

ArtKramr July 10th 04 05:44 PM

From: "D. Strang"
Date: 7/10/2004 5:52 AM Pacific Standard Time

"WalterM140" wrote
Ya know I really don't know what all the fuss was about here.

Bush skipped out on the last two years of his commitment. That's one

problem.

JFKerry skipped out of his last 8 months in the war zone (after receiving
three
scratches in the line of duty).

More neocon bitterness.

BUFDRVR July 10th 04 06:04 PM

Dan wrote:

He went through OTS

Actually the ANG calls it something different...at least they did in 1994 when
I went through UPT with 4 Guardsmen. Little did they know that they were
recieving special treatment. Please don't engage "Walt", he doesn't have a clue
about the military or aviation and as such is not worth your time. IMHO, "Walt"
is the worst troll I've seen here *ever*. At least Venik and the rest of the
"Serb loonies" were discussing aviation related matters....fantasy aviation,
but aviation none-the-less.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"