-   Restoration (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rolls Royce Meteor V 2 engine from a Centurion tank (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=20120)

The Raven January 22nd 04 09:32 AM

Rolls Royce Meteor V 2 engine from a Centurion tank

Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know they
were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
different as to be useless for any aviation application.

Why do I ask? An acquaintance has just acquired a complete Meteor engine and
is looking to sell it off. I don't believe he wants to profit from it beyond
recovering costs. If the engine is valueless or he can't find a buyer there
is a possibility (slim) it may be scrapped. However, it would be better if
someone would purchase the engine and put it back into one of it's intended
applications.

If anyone is interested in the engine, even for parts, please post a
response here and I will pass it on to him.

For those interested, the engine is in Canada (despite me being in
Australia).

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Keith Willshaw January 22nd 04 10:17 AM

"The Raven" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know

they
were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
different as to be useless for any aviation application.

I think thats probably true, they certainly didnt have the supercharger
fit the aero engine had

Why do I ask? An acquaintance has just acquired a complete Meteor engine

and
is looking to sell it off. I don't believe he wants to profit from it

beyond
recovering costs. If the engine is valueless or he can't find a buyer

there
is a possibility (slim) it may be scrapped. However, it would be better if
someone would purchase the engine and put it back into one of it's

intended
applications.

If anyone is interested in the engine, even for parts, please post a
response here and I will pass it on to him.

For those interested, the engine is in Canada (despite me being in
Australia).

There is almost certainly a market for it, there are a number of
Centurions owned by collectors

see http://www.milweb.net/go/select/sales.htm

Keith

The Raven January 22nd 04 10:20 AM

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"The Raven" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know

they
were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
different as to be useless for any aviation application.

I think thats probably true, they certainly didnt have the supercharger
fit the aero engine had

Absolutely. I saw one up close (on a stand) but they weren't starting it at
the time. Hard to recognise it as an aero engine in caterpillar yellow.

[...]

Thanks, will look into it. Hopefully someone in Canada is interested.

Ken Duffey January 22nd 04 05:31 PM

"The Raven" wrote in message
[...]

Just an aside..............

I used to work for the UK MOD as a Civil Servant - one job I had was in NATO
Codification - the allocation of parts numbers to NATO Stock items.

We were told the story about the reasons behind the drive to standardise
parts/stock numbers between the NATO allies - and even between the UK Services.

In the olden days if a Royal Navy Landrover broke down or had a puncture outside
an Army barracks - it could not get spare parts at the Army stores - the part
numbering systems were completely different!!

The Army landrover rode on Tubes, Inner & Covers, Outer, the RN landrover
probably just had Tires and Inner Tubes!!!

Meanwhile - back at RR Meteor/Merlins.........

Apparently during the Korean war a USAF Sqn of P-51's were grounded due to a
shortage of spare parts for their Packard Merlins.

Over the next hill was an Australian army tank battalion - equipped with British
Centurion tanks.

The Centurions had RR Meteor engines - and if they had only had a common parts
nomenclature/numbering system, the Aussie could have supplied the Yanks with
parts!

It is probably an apocryphal story - and certainly exagerated, but a good one
nonetheless.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Wright1902Glider January 24th 04 06:05 AM

Thinking E-Bay on this one... if it can't find a home in a tank or plane, it
might go well in a competition pulling tractor or race boat of some sort.
There was a RR Griffon on E-Bay a while back.

T L Jones January 24th 04 04:18 PM

In article ,
(The Raven) wrote:

Article: 20156 of rec.aviation.restoration
From: "The Raven"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration
Subject: Rolls Royce Meteor V 2 engine from a Centurion tank
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:32:47 +1100

[...]

An acquaintance of mine, a considerable engineer has just converted a
Meteor engine to a Merlin which he has run on the ground with a propeller.

Incidently, whilst the Meteor was of RR origin many were made by Rover.
Rover swapped the Whittle jet project and factory in 1943 with RR for the
Meteor project and factory

Terry.

The Raven January 25th 04 03:38 AM

"T L Jones" wrote in message
.co.uk...

From: "The Raven"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:32:47 +1100

[...]

So it's obviously a cost effective situation, one assumes without the
supercharger.......

Incidently, whilst the Meteor was of RR origin many were made by Rover.
Rover swapped the Whittle jet project and factory in 1943 with RR for the
Meteor project and factory

This particular engine is of the Rover variety going by it's id plate.

L'acrobat January 28th 04 04:57 AM

"Ken Duffey" wrote in message

Meanwhile - back at RR Meteor/Merlins.........

Apparently during the Korean war a USAF Sqn of P-51's were grounded due to

shortage of spare parts for their Packard Merlins.

Over the next hill was an Australian army tank battalion - equipped with

British
Centurion tanks.

The Centurions had RR Meteor engines - and if they had only had a common

parts
nomenclature/numbering system, the Aussie could have supplied the Yanks

with
parts!

It is probably an apocryphal story - and certainly exagerated, but a good

one
nonetheless.

It was not until the beginning of 1952 that the Australian Army finally
received it's first Centurion tanks. These first tanks were given to 1
Armoured Regiment.

1 Armoured Regt did not serve in Korea.

Ken Duffey January 28th 04 05:07 PM

L'acrobat wrote:

"Ken Duffey" wrote in message

[...]

I said the story was probably apophrycal...........

Stop spoiling it with facts!

How about the Comet tank - what engine did that have - and did the Aussies use
it - and was it in Korea ??

Desperately trying to salvage a good story............