-   Home Built (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   High Price of Flying Wires? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=842)

PWK September 25th 03 03:05 PM

High Price of Flying Wires?

Wondering why the price of a set of Flying wires for most HB Bi Planes cost
3k or more? Not trying to argue, just wondering what drives the high cost.

Thanks- J. Wolfer

Barnyard BOb -- September 25th 03 06:16 PM

"Larry Smith" wrote:

Wondering why the price of a set of Flying wires for most HB Bi Planes

cost 3k or more? Not trying to argue, just wondering what drives the high cost.

Thanks- J. Wolfer

monopoly

++++++++++++
LOW volume and...
HIGH priced lawyers.

Barnyard BOb --

Building The Perfect Beast September 25th 03 07:23 PM

Wondering why the price of a set of Flying wires for most HB Bi Planes cost
3k or more? Not trying to argue, just wondering what drives the high cost.

Thanks- J. Wolfer

Hello. I have a set of flying wires that may suffice and I will sell them for
considerably less than you have been quoted. It's worth a shot anyway. If you
are interested please provide dimensions including maximum length to this
newsgroup and I'll see if what I have will work for you.

Larry Smith September 28th 03 03:33 PM

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message

"Larry Smith" wrote:

Wondering why the price of a set of Flying wires for most HB Bi Planes

cost 3k or more? Not trying to argue, just wondering what drives the high

cost.

Thanks- J. Wolfer

monopoly

++++++++++++
LOW volume and...
HIGH priced lawyers.

Barnyard BOb --

Well, maybe, BOb, but I doubt it. How many suits against the flying wire
manufacturers? If there are any lawsuits, then maybe. If not, the mfrs.
have a chicken little paranoia. But flying wire mfrs. aren't "they."

"They" are Brunton and Brunton only, unless someone else tooled up to roll
them. Brunton bought out McWhyte and so has a m o n o p o l y. Besides,
Brunton is in Scotland. It names its price and is hardly vulnerable to USA
lawsuits.

Which makes me wonder. Anybody ever seen cables on a Pitts?

JDupre5762 September 28th 03 08:26 PM

"Barnyard BOb --"

"Larry Smith" wrote:

Wondering why the price of a set of Flying wires for most HB Bi Planes
cost 3k or more? Not trying to argue, just wondering what drives the high

cost.

Thanks- J. Wolfer

monopoly

++++++++++++
LOW volume and...
HIGH priced lawyers.

Barnyard BOb --

Well, maybe, BOb, but I doubt it. How many suits against the flying wire
manufacturers? If there are any lawsuits, then maybe. If not, the mfrs.
have a chicken little paranoia. But flying wire mfrs. aren't "they."

"They" are Brunton and Brunton only, unless someone else tooled up to roll
them. Brunton bought out McWhyte and so has a m o n o p o l y. Besides,
Brunton is in Scotland. It names its price and is hardly vulnerable to USA
lawsuits.

I think low volume and monopoly pretty well cover it even if Brunton's is
somewhat immune from USA lawsuits. Flying wires are essentially hand made by
experienced craftsmen. When the wire itself is drawn through the machine that
gives it the aerodynamic shape it is very wavy. They work out the waviness by
tapping each and every wire with mallets against a thick wooden bench. The
threaded ends are also rolled and not cut. I imagine rolling threads is a more
costly process than cutting them too. A set of wires for a Pitts or something
similar must take a fair number of hours. The high labor costs in maintaining
and particularly recovering fabric covered aircraft is one of the reason Piper
builds Cherokees today and not Cubs even though the cost of materials for a Cub
are probably still cheaper than the cost of aluminum for a Cherokee.

John Dupre'

Rich S. September 28th 03 09:29 PM

"JDupre5762" wrote in message
........................ The high labor costs in maintaining
and particularly recovering fabric covered aircraft is one of the reason

Piper
builds Cherokees today and not Cubs even though the cost of materials for

a Cub
are probably still cheaper than the cost of aluminum for a Cherokee.

And - Boeing would build 767's out of Sitka Spruce !!! :-))))))))

Rich "Real airplanes are woodie's!!" S

Barnyard BOb -- September 28th 03 10:05 PM

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:33:26 -0400, "Larry Smith"
wrote:

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message
.. .

"Larry Smith" wrote:

Wondering why the price of a set of Flying wires for most HB Bi Planes
cost 3k or more? Not trying to argue, just wondering what drives the high

cost.

Thanks- J. Wolfer

monopoly

++++++++++++
LOW volume and...
HIGH priced lawyers.

Barnyard BOb --

Well, maybe, BOb, but I doubt it. How many suits against the flying wire
manufacturers? If there are any lawsuits, then maybe.

Tongue in cheek, Larry.

"They" are Brunton and Brunton only, unless someone else tooled up to roll
them. Brunton bought out McWhyte and so has a m o n o p o l y. Besides,
Brunton is in Scotland. It names its price and is hardly vulnerable to USA
lawsuits.

Forget the lawsuit angle...

If this MONOPOLY is truly lucrative,
why don't you take these folks on?
Sounds like you could beat the socks
off Brunton.

It would be interesting to see what you
would charge if it was your low volume
custom business.

FWIW --
This business has come full circle. Read on...

http://www.airbum.com/articles/Flyingwires.html

Barnyard BOb -- the grass is always greener

Del Rawlins September 29th 03 12:44 AM

On 28 Sep 2003 01:05 PM, Barnyard BOb -- posted the following:

FWIW --
This business has come full circle. Read on...

http://www.airbum.com/articles/Flyingwires.html

BOb, just wanted to let you know you are a jerk. I'm pretty sure I'd
already read that article but you caused me to spend the last two hours
reading Budd's site and getting caught up on the new material he has
posted since the last time I checked it. Because of you, my project
will now be another 2 hours later in getting finished than it would
otherwise have been. I can take some satisfaction in knowing that the
accumulated delays in construction all adds up to more time for the
diesel people to get my eventual engine built. 8^/

As far as the high cost of wires goes, it is true if you are buying just
a few or one set at a time. A few years ago on the Bearhawk list, one
of our members put together a group purchase for 10 sets of streamlined,
stainless wires for the tailfeathers, and the discount we received from
Steen Aero Lab for the volume order was amazing. I don't remember the
exact numbers but it was better than half off the regular price.

And just as a clarification, the Bearhawk is a simple design that
certainly doesn't require anything so hifalutin' as streamlined wires.
The plans call for round 4130 threaded by the homebuilder to brace the
tail (in addition to a streamlined 4130 tube strut) but being from the
Alaskan coast where things will rust/corrode if you so much as think the
wrong thoughts about them, I couldn't pass up the chance at stainless
wires with rolled threads. I have observed that you can sell almost
anything to an Alaskan, so long as it is made out of stainless steel.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/

Barnyard BOb -- September 29th 03 06:11 AM

Del Rawlins wrote:

FWIW --
This business has come full circle. Read on...

http://www.airbum.com/articles/Flyingwires.html

BOb, just wanted to let you know you are a jerk. I'm pretty sure I'd
already read that article but you caused me to spend the last two hours
reading Budd's site and getting caught up on the new material he has
posted since the last time I checked it. Because of you, my project
will now be another 2 hours later in getting finished than it would
otherwise have been. I can take some satisfaction in knowing that the
accumulated delays in construction all adds up to more time for the
diesel people to get my eventual engine built. 8^/

Poor fella. bfg

Have you tried Evelyn Woods speed reading? If not --
Shouldn't take over 2 more diesel advantaged hours to check out....

http://www.evelynwood.com.au/

http://skepdic.com/speedreading.html

http://www.advancedreading.com/aboutus.ivnu

http://www.mysticdancer.com/evelyn_w...d_reading.html

http://www.child-reading-tips.com/ev...ng-program.htm

Barnyard BOb -- the diesels are coming, the diesels are coming, the
disels are coming, the diesels are coming, the diesels are coming