-   Home Built (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mild steel instead of 4130? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=226105)

[email protected] January 1st 17 09:13 PM

Mild steel instead of 4130?

n Friday, December 8, 2000 at 9:00:00 PM UTC+13, Wee Moose wrote:
I know many older planes were made with mild steel tubing. What would be the
problem with using mild steel instead of 4130? I would make all fittings and
high stress areas, like gear, with 4130.

Carl

Mild steel versus 4130 is a question that often arises. I note many talk about the extra couple of bucks it costs for 4130 but spare a thought for us guys on the other side of the world that can buy 16 foot length of cold -rolled mild steel tube for $18 while 4130 would cost us $128. For low powered light-
weight puddle-around aircraft there just is no contest!