-   -   Android Galaxy note device for xcsoar ? (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=282450)

MMOORE November 24th 20 01:51 PM

Android Galaxy note device for xcsoar ?

What are people using for xcsoar and Android ?

I would like to try xcsoar but there are a ton of Galaxy note X devices. I am a little wary of purchasing a refurbished device nor sure of what model number is best.

The Note 'lite' devices are a little cheaper, then there is an A20 and an A10S priced under $200 ? I will not be using it as a phone.

Brian[_1_] November 24th 20 04:50 PM

Android Galaxy note device for xcsoar ?

I use a Galaxy Tab A 7, it has as good of sunlight readability as I have seen in a tablet and works well. I use Tophat, but should work fine with XCSoar.

Brian

Moshe Braner November 24th 20 06:24 PM

On 11/24/2020 10:50 AM, Brian wrote:
I use a Galaxy Tab A 7, it has as good of sunlight readability as I have seen in a tablet and works well. I use Tophat, but should work fine with XCSoar.

Brian

Some color tablets are better than others, but I use Tophat on an
ancient Nook e-reader, because to my eyes the purely reflective B&W
e-ink display is far better in sunshine than any color display.

The Nook does not have a built-in GPS receiver, so some sort of add-on
is needed. I've used an external GPS puck via USB (sometimes froze up),
and later grafted a small GPS module right onto a Nook, connecting to
its internal serial interface (worked well). My latest arrangement is
with a Nook into which I've grafted an RS232 interface chip for a wired
serial connection. It gets GPS - and traffic - data from a FLARM.
Works great. But all those (other than the USB puck) required delicate
DIY soldering jobs.

[email protected] November 25th 20 03:23 AM

Android Galaxy note device for xcsoar ?

I've run XCSoar and Top Hat on a Galaxy Tab S2 7.0. Works great, optimal size, runs long without a recharge. 4+ hour flights by judiciously turning off the screen when it's not needed. Much longer if it's plugged into a charger of course.

Patrick (LS6-b EH) November 25th 20 08:07 AM

Android Galaxy note device for xcsoar ?

I use a Galaxy S 5, no complaints.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAuPWQpLL45kC18YA

MMOORE November 25th 20 02:09 PM

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 2:07:16 AM UTC-5, Patrick (LS6-b EH) wrote:
I use a Galaxy S 5, no complaints.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAuPWQpLL45kC18YA

Thanks, are you using the built in GPS or getting that data over BT via your LXNAV ?

krasw November 25th 20 04:57 PM

Android Galaxy note device for xcsoar ?

I have Note 20 Lite and it does not have bright enough display for glider use. Tried with xcsoar.

Patrick (LS6-b EH) November 25th 20 05:29 PM

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 6:09:43 AM UTC-7, MMOORE wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 2:07:16 AM UTC-5, Patrick (LS6-b EH) wrote:
I use a Galaxy S 5, no complaints.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAuPWQpLL45kC18YA

Thanks, are you using the built in GPS or getting that data over BT via your LXNAV ?

Right now, paired via BT to my Nano (first season with my own glider), but working to integrate the S7 and Flarm. With Flarm bogies, I might think about going to a Note, but I don't fly IFR so don't want to be overwhelmed with the screen. My partner in the glider uses a Tab which I think is too big.

Just like the 3 bears - too small, too big, just riiiight...

Bret Hess November 26th 20 06:36 AM

Android Galaxy note device for xcsoar ?

Galaxy Note 4 works great. And you can replace the battery easily.

MMOORE November 26th 20 04:29 PM

On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 12:36:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Galaxy Note 4 works great. And you can replace the battery easily.

Thanks, just ordered a Note 4.