-   -   Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=9683)

Jack July 16th 04 11:34 PM

Sam Byrams wrote:

Okay, just supposing I hit the Powerball and do what any red-blooded
American would, i.e. kiss up to Chuckie and cut him a three million
dollar check. What do I have to do to get checked out in this beast?
Can the average guy with the FAA required minimums, some decent
aerobatic experience (not competition) and a willingness to pay
attention handle this airplane?

If you've got the attitude you can get the altitude. Thousands have. But
remember not to exceed 50,000' without a pressure suit. Thousands have.

Ooops, I wasn't supposed to say that.

--
Jack

"Cave ab homine unius libri"

ArtKramr July 16th 04 11:51 PM

Subject: Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam
From: ojunk (Steve Mellenthin)
Date: 7/16/2004 2:30 PM Pacific Standard Time

What glory????

The stuff you glamorize in your writings. Maybe that isn't your intent but
your writing style sometimes says otherwise.

I never glamorised anyything. You just read glamour into it where in fact
there was none. The glamour is here on the ground with you. Not in the air with
me.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

ArtKramr July 16th 04 11:59 PM

From: (B2431)
Date: 7/16/2004 2:18 PM Pacific Standard Time

How would you as a veteran feel if Bob Dole started saying all WW2 vets were
either war criminals or did nothing to stope war crimes?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Dole has that right under the 1st. amendment. I am secure and comfortable with
my experiences no matter what anyone says. But millions of Americans agreed
with Kerry, were against the war and still are to this day. Kerry was not alone
in his thoughts or statements. And for someone who has been stabbed in the back
you seem in very good health.

John A. Weeks III July 17th 04 01:30 AM

In article , Sam
Byrams wrote:

Okay, just supposing I hit the Powerball and do what any red-blooded
American would,i.e. kiss up to Chuckie and cut him a three million
dollar check. What do I have to do to get checked out in this beast?
Can the average guy with the FAA required minimums,some decent
aerobatic experience (not competition) and a willingness to pay
attention handle this airplane?

You can take lessons in an L-39. It will cost some bucks, but
you don't have to hit the powerball to do it.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

BUFDRVR July 17th 04 02:29 AM

Okay, just supposing I hit the Powerball and do what any red-blooded
American would,i.e. kiss up to Chuckie and cut him a three million
dollar check.

I'm not sure who Chuckie is, but there are a few civilian owned T-38s. I'm not
sure how much you would have to throw down to pry it away from the current
owners though? Additionaly, you better hit the lottery for much more than the
cost of the Talon because its going to cost quite a bit to fly and maintain it.

What do I have to do to get checked out in this beast?

To fly it VFR all you need is a multi-engine (centerline thrust) rating....I
think?

Can the average guy with the FAA required minimums,some decent
aerobatic experience (not competition) and a willingness to pay
attention handle this airplane?

I'd get lessons from Ed or some other former IP. While I found the aircraft
easy to fly, it could kill you if you don't have "UPT quality" training,
particularly in the landing phase.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

MLenoch July 17th 04 02:37 AM

Lately the Feds are really frowning on the T-38.......dunno why, as they are
not bothering the Mig-21 crowd too much. Something to do with ex-US military
possibly.
VL

Regnirps July 17th 04 06:18 AM

(ArtKramr) wrote:

I don't think we need the Geneva convention to tell us 50 caliber heavy

machine
guns used against civilians is wrong.

Depends on what they are doing at the time. What about a lynch mob after you?

-- Charlie Springer

Regnirps July 17th 04 06:26 AM

(Sam Byrams) wrote:

Okay, just supposing I hit the Powerball and do what any red-blooded
American would,i.e. kiss up to Chuckie and cut him a three million
dollar check. What do I have to do to get checked out in this beast?
Can the average guy with the FAA required minimums,some decent
aerobatic experience (not competition) and a willingness to pay
attention handle this airplane?

There was one in TAP for about a year for one million, and with hot ejection
seats. I wonder what that does to your insurance? I think you have to be on the
ball though since IIRC it only flys for about an hour between fuelings and you
can make with the sonic booms pretty easy.

They had an automatic landing system.

They sure are good lookin.

-- Charlie Springer

Regnirps July 17th 04 06:28 AM

Jack wrote:

If you've got the attitude you can get the altitude. Thousands have. But
remember not to exceed 50,000' without a pressure suit. Thousands have.

Ooops, I wasn't supposed to say that.

Did you ever see anyone come back with a glove caught in the canopy?

-- Charlie Springer

Bill Shatzer July 17th 04 06:32 AM

"Steven P. McNicoll" ) writes:
"Bill Shatzer" wrote in message

Assumed but not proven. In any case irrelevant if the folks
-thought- they were in a battle.

Kerry's crew said there was no enemy fire, so the folks didn't think they
were in a battle.

No, that's not correct at all.

His former commander (one echelon removed) now claims that's
what they said. The crew currently claim no such thing.

With one exception, -everyone- who served under Kerry on the
Swift boats speaks most highly of him and NONE claim it was
anything but a battle. Or, at least an assumed battle.

You think those folks in the Bradley who got zapped by a blue
on blue Maverick didn't get PHs? There was no -real- battle,
they were just motoring along when the A-10 mistook them for
a T-72 or whatever. The A-10 driver -thought- it was a battle.

Irrelevant.

Quite relevant.

"Purported" experience. The things have to cover a minimum
distance before they arm themselves and that distance is
sufficient to place the shooter outside of the blast/shrapnel
radius.

I recall one story from the vietnam conflict where an army
surgeon got written up for removing an unexploded M-79 round
from an ARVN trooper. -He- got shot by friendly fire but the
round hadn't traveled far enough to arm itself.

Based on the best information, Kerry was not entitled to that award.

Based on the best information, there is no way he could put
shrapnel into himself from his own M-79 round. The damn things
just don't work that way.

Based upon the best information, he was fully entitled to his
Purple Heart.
--

"Cave ab homine unius libri"