-   General Aviation (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   JFK Jr.'s mean ol wife (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=11376)

I'm just a zero July 1st 03 09:20 PM

JFK Jr.'s mean ol wife

"-*-*-*-" wrote in message
"I'm just a zero" wrote:

I don't know *anyone* who has an instrument or night rating that hasn't

had
at least one close call due to their own stupidity. Don't think you

should
slate a guy simply 'cause he lucked out.

JFK Jr. wasn't yet rated and he didn't have a close call; he died and
took two people with him. The only positive is that his own criminal
negligence killed him as well as his passengers.

Roger. who only fly's VFR these days, and is happier for it

Learn to punctuate and you'll be even happier.

I'm adopting the modus operandi of the group :-)

Roger.

I'm just a zero July 1st 03 09:48 PM

"-*-*-*-" wrote in message

I'm adopting the modus operandi of the group :-)

LameExcuse-speak for 'I ****ed up but I'll blame somebody else.'

You read me like a book.

Roger. deeply ashamed

Jeff Franks July 1st 03 10:08 PM

JFK Jr. wasn't yet rated and he didn't have a close call; he died and
took two people with him. The only positive is that his own criminal
negligence killed him as well as his passengers.

I wasn't aware that night flight required a rating...if we're gonna be
literal in here lets go all the way.

Roger. who only fly's VFR these days, and is happier for it

Learn to punctuate and you'll be even happier.

er...there's a difference between punctuation and spelling.

I'm just a zero July 1st 03 10:17 PM

"Jeff Franks" wrote in message

JFK Jr. wasn't yet rated and he didn't have a close call; he died and
took two people with him. The only positive is that his own criminal
negligence killed him as well as his passengers.

I wasn't aware that night flight required a rating...if we're gonna be
literal in here lets go all the way.

Jesus, I make a comment and it's dissected by idiots.

In Europe, a night qualification course is normally offered as an add on to
the European JAR PPL, plus, you must have completed a night takeoff /
landing within the previous 90 days if you intend to carry a passenger.

YES I KNOW the accident occurred in Yankeeland. But why dump on a guy who
paid the full price for his mistake?

Roger. who only fly's VFR these days, and is happier for it

Learn to punctuate and you'll be even happier.

er...there's a difference between punctuation and spelling.

I think his point was that my writing is becoming sloppy. An observation
that's hard to dispute.

Roger.

Ron Natalie July 1st 03 10:33 PM

"animal boi" wrote in message ...

Instrument flight requires a rating. JFK was in training but not yet
rated to fly in instrument conditions, such as a night flight over
water in which distinguishing the horizon would be difficult. Result:
Dead JFK and passengers.

Unadvisable to fly in such conditions without one, but techncially NOT
required.

Orval Fairbairn July 2nd 03 02:25 AM

In article ,
(-*-*-*-) wrote:

"I'm just a zero" wrote:

I don't know *anyone* who has an instrument or night rating that hasn't had
at least one close call due to their own stupidity. Don't think you should
slate a guy simply 'cause he lucked out.

JFK Jr. wasn't yet rated and he didn't have a close call; he died and
took two people with him. The only positive is that his own criminal
negligence killed him as well as his passengers.

Roger. who only fly's VFR these days, and is happier for it

Learn to punctuate and you'll be even happier.

First of all: there is NO such thing as a "night rating" in the US!

Secondly: criminal?

It could happen to ANY of us, under the right circumstances.

JFK Jr's accident follows a classic pattern:

1. Pilot is under a lot of stress.
a) His "George" magazine was failing.
b) He was behind schedule because his pax were late.
c) He was recovering from a leg injury.
d) The visibility wasn't up to par.
f) Night had fallen over the last part of the trip.
e) He was probably tired, after a long day.

2. He flies, not realizing the effect that the stress has placed on his
piloting skills/judgement.

Just read the ASRS reports to see how these conditions can creep up on
an otherwise proficient pilot and take heed!

--
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called ≥Random Signatures≤ into your Preferences folder.

MC July 2nd 03 02:56 AM

Jeff Franks wrote:

JFK Jr. wasn't yet rated and he didn't have a close call; he died and
took two people with him. The only positive is that his own criminal
negligence killed him as well as his passengers.

I wasn't aware that night flight required a rating...if we're gonna be
literal in here lets go all the way.

Australia requires a rating to do night VFR.

Asbestos Dust July 2nd 03 02:57 AM

Patric Barry July 2nd 03 03:55 AM

Australia requires a rating to do night VFR.

I have Australian and US certificates (well, license in Australia) and the
Australian system is bureaucratic and simply discourages pilots from
advancing and obtaining higher qualifications by adding layers of
unnecessary cost.

In the US a pilot is trained to do night landings and takeoffs, and needs to
be proficient in night flying before obtaining a certificate - this is a
better system by far than the Australian model which is a leftover of some
inane British system.

Jeff Franks July 2nd 03 05:05 AM

Jesus, I make a comment and it's dissected by idiots.

In Europe, a night qualification course is normally offered as an add on

the European JAR PPL, plus, you must have completed a night takeoff /
landing within the previous 90 days if you intend to carry a passenger.

YES I KNOW the accident occurred in Yankeeland. But why dump on a guy

who
paid the full price for his mistake?

Call off the dogs!!! lol.. I'm on YOUR side. My point actually had nothing
to do with your comment and more to do with the constant over-correcting
that goes on in the aviation NG's. (which leads to disclaimers like the
following) Of course, being precise *IS* important and we should all try to
do better. It seems all you have to do is make a comment that Air Force One
is a 747 and you'll get 37 posts ranging from "Actually Air Force One is any
U.S. Air Force aircraft that the President of the United States is on" to
"Air Force One is a 747-400 s/n 1372683 in run A3Z". Who gives a flip!?!?
Everyone knew what I meant. An outsider looking in would think we're all
scared to death someone else might be smarter than us.

I think his point was that my writing is becoming sloppy. An observation
that's hard to dispute.

No dispute, just my vain attempt at smart-assdom.