-   Restoration (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   V12 merlin (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=20133)

fana February 10th 04 08:23 PM

V12 merlin

good evening
is someone know the price for an engine merlin V12 rolls royce?

thanks

Steve February 11th 04 01:12 AM

Depending on the condition, you're looking at probably $30,000 for a
complete static display on upwards of $500,000 for a fully functional
ebgine.
om...

Robert Bates February 11th 04 03:25 AM

Last I heard the dash numbers used in P-51s ran about $70,000 for a rebuilt
engine and a P-51 prop was about $50,000.

My question: Is there such a thing as an orphan version of the Merlin as
there are with other engines?

Bela P. Havasreti February 11th 04 05:32 AM

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:12:23 -0500, "Steve"
wrote:

I'm thinkning roughly half that ($15K or so) for a static example
(especially the early dash numbers, -1, -3, etc.) and $50K+ for an
airworthy example of a later dash number (-7 or -9).

Reminds me of the joke that goes "How much money will it take
to restore a "whatchamacallit-1"?

Answer: All of it!

Bela P. Havasreti

Depending on the condition, you're looking at probably $30,000 for a
complete static display on upwards of $500,000 for a fully functional
ebgine.
. com...

The Raven February 11th 04 11:39 AM

"Robert Bates" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s02...
Last I heard the dash numbers used in P-51s ran about $70,000 for a

rebuilt
engine and a P-51 prop was about $50,000.

My question: Is there such a thing as an orphan version of the Merlin as
there are with other engines?

I've been trying to sort that out. Apparently Rover did Meteor engines for
Centurion tanks. It's a derivative of the Merlin but without the blower.

I know of one in Canada if you're interested.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Chuck Harris February 11th 04 04:54 PM

Weren't there 3, V12 Packards in the PT boats? I think they were
not based on the Merlin, but certainly were similar in size and
performance.

The memory is very vague.

-Chuck Harris

The Raven February 12th 04 12:10 PM

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Weren't there 3, V12 Packards in the PT boats? I think they were
not based on the Merlin, but certainly were similar in size and
performance.

The memory is very vague.

-Chuck Harris

I think they were Chrysler engines. I know that Chrysler did a lot of
coupled engined arrangements. A 5 engine tank comes to mind.

The Raven February 13th 04 11:17 AM

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
No, I am certain they were V12 Packards. I did a web search on PT
Boats, and confirmed my recollection.

Fair enough, I don't pretend to know much about the PT boats.