-   Piloting (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show ( HD ) Paris Air show 2013 (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=206428)

Larry Dighera October 3rd 14 12:31 AM

Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show ( HD ) Paris Air show 2013

Wanna see, what happens if you place two former military pilots of the French
Navy in the cockpit of an Airbus A380? A vertical take-off and some acrobatic
maneuvers are the result. Two pilots who previously worked for the French Navy
have been working as test pilots for Airbus since a few years. This was the
most amazing A380 performance I have ever seen. Very impressive to see such a
big bird gliding threw the skies as if it would be a small Cessna. Of course
the fuel tanks were empty because the Airbus just made a short presentation
flight for the audience in France. I hope I could see such a performance again
someday: http://youtu.be/RJxnwF-MPi0

A380 Approach and Landing KSFO San Francisco SUBTITLES English (without
commentary): http://youtu.be/ENe89j89tBA

More videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cargospotter/videos

Orval Fairbairn October 3rd 14 01:00 AM

Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show ( HD ) Paris Air show 2013

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

Wanna see, what happens if you place two former military pilots of the French
Navy in the cockpit of an Airbus A380? A vertical take-off and some acrobatic
maneuvers are the result. Two pilots who previously worked for the French Navy
have been working as test pilots for Airbus since a few years. This was the
most amazing A380 performance I have ever seen. Very impressive to see such a
big bird gliding threw the skies as if it would be a small Cessna. Of course
the fuel tanks were empty because the Airbus just made a short presentation
flight for the audience in France. I hope I could see such a performance again
someday: http://youtu.be/RJxnwF-MPi0

A380 Approach and Landing KSFO San Francisco SUBTITLES English (without
commentary): http://youtu.be/ENe89j89tBA

More videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cargospotter/videos

Nor "acrobatics" or, more precisely, aerobatics there. They never
exceeded 60 deg bank angle (more like 45 deg), nor 30 deg. climb angle.
They also never retracted the flaps, allowing for enhanced low-speed
maneuvering. Also, isn't it amazing how low-speed maneuverability is
enhanced with (very) minimum fuel load and no payload?

Yes -- it is impressive to see such a huge bird put through its paces --
especially when its very size makes it look as if it is barely moving.

george152 October 3rd 14 02:08 AM

Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show( HD ) Paris Air show 2013

On 03/10/14 13:00, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

[...]

Yup.
The first B747 I ever saw just seemed to stay in one place and the world
around it grew smaller...

Skywise October 3rd 14 08:13 AM

Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show ( HD ) Paris Air show 2013

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

http://youtu.be/RJxnwF-MPi0

I wanna see 'em Tex Johnston the thing.

:)

Brian
--
http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/index.php - Earth Sciences discussion
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Orval Fairbairn October 3rd 14 05:30 PM

Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show ( HD ) Paris Air show 2013

In article ,
Skywise wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

http://youtu.be/RJxnwF-MPi0

I wanna see 'em Tex Johnston the thing.

:)

Brian

Any airplane that can take 3G can be aileron rolled successfully. It
would be like watching an elephant dance.

Robert Moore October 3rd 14 10:28 PM

Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show ( HD ) Paris Air show 2013

Orval Fairbairn wrote
Any airplane that can take 3G can be aileron rolled successfully. It
would be like watching an elephant dance.

Why 3Gs? I don't recall any specific elevator input when doing
aileron rolls back in my Navy aerobatic training nor more
recently while flying a YAK-52. You aren't one of those people
who confuse aileron rolls with barrel rolls are you? :) :) :)

Bob Moore

Dudley Henriques[_3_] October 4th 14 12:30 AM

Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show (HD ) Paris Air show 2013

On Friday, October 3, 2014 5:28:05 PM UTC-4, Robert Moore wrote:
Orval Fairbairn wrote

Any airplane that can take 3G can be aileron rolled successfully. It

would be like watching an elephant dance.

Why 3Gs? I don't recall any specific elevator input when doing

aileron rolls back in my Navy aerobatic training nor more

recently while flying a YAK-52. You aren't one of those people

who confuse aileron rolls with barrel rolls are you? :) :) :)

Bob Moore

Just happened on the thread in passing by. Like to answer this for you but experience tells me not a good idea. :-))
Best to you Bob,
Dudley Henriques

Orval Fairbairn October 4th 14 04:00 AM

Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show ( HD ) Paris Air show 2013

In article . 167,
Robert Moore wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote
Any airplane that can take 3G can be aileron rolled successfully. It
would be like watching an elephant dance.

Why 3Gs? I don't recall any specific elevator input when doing
aileron rolls back in my Navy aerobatic training nor more
recently while flying a YAK-52. You aren't one of those people
who confuse aileron rolls with barrel rolls are you? :) :) :)

Bob Moore

Just in case there is a pooch waiting for you at the end.

Dudley Henriques[_3_] October 4th 14 04:07 AM

Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show (HD ) Paris Air show 2013

On Friday, October 3, 2014 5:28:05 PM UTC-4, Robert Moore wrote:
Orval Fairbairn wrote

Any airplane that can take 3G can be aileron rolled successfully. It

would be like watching an elephant dance.

Why 3Gs? I don't recall any specific elevator input when doing

aileron rolls back in my Navy aerobatic training nor more

recently while flying a YAK-52. You aren't one of those people

who confuse aileron rolls with barrel rolls are you? :) :) :)

Bob Moore

I'm fairly sure Orval means that the airplane should be capable of at least 3g's coming off the backside of the roll, especially for a non-aerobatic airplane. In an aileron roll in these airplanes you will be above 1g temporarily as you pull the nose up to a set point to initiate the roll. Once the roll begins you can of course unload the wing or go over the top at 1g as desired. But the back side recovery will be a rolling pullout with asymmetrical g loading on the wings. It's here you have to be careful in non aerobatic aircraft. The ability to handle at least 3g's would be a reasonable number.
Dudley Henriques

Orval Fairbairn October 4th 14 06:35 PM

Dudley Henriques wrote:

[...]

Another factor, not usually talked about is the lateral centrifugal
accelerations imposed on the engine pods -- both lateral from the
rolling and the coupled inertial forces between the rotating masses and
the airframe attitude changes.

An old co-worker described an autopilot test in the Convair 880:

He was applying a preplanned set of gains to the autopilot and reading
the aircraft responses when another told him to look outside at the
engines. He said that one of the engines was moving in a figure-eight
motion -- they immediately suspended the tests.

When you have such large, flexible structures flying in unusual motions,
you may see some unusual (and not always pleasant) sights.