-   Restoration (http://www.aviationbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   restoring a DC9 restroom... at home (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=29674)

[email protected] July 6th 05 11:47 AM

restoring a DC9 restroom... at home

I want use my home workshop to rebuild an old, junked restroom from a
USAF DC9.

The milspec drawings show a slot for "used razor blades".

How often am I supposed to clean out the used razor blades to maintain
airworthiness specs?

Robert Bonomi July 6th 05 12:28 PM

In article .com,
wrote:
I want use my home workshop to rebuild an old, junked restroom from a
USAF DC9.

The milspec drawings show a slot for "used razor blades".

How often am I supposed to clean out the used razor blades to maintain
airworthiness specs?

single-edged, or double-edged?

John Kunkel July 6th 05 06:25 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want use my home workshop to rebuild an old, junked restroom from a
USAF DC9.

The milspec drawings show a slot for "used razor blades".

How often am I supposed to clean out the used razor blades to maintain
airworthiness specs?

Not to worry, Homeland Security won't allow razor blades in an aircraft
****ter, ground bound or not. BG

Vaughn July 6th 05 10:20 PM

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article .com,
wrote:
I want use my home workshop to rebuild an old, junked restroom from a
USAF DC9.

The milspec drawings show a slot for "used razor blades".

The medicine cabinet in my childhood home had such a slot. Back then, a
razor blade was only good for one or two shaves. My father must have dropped
thousands of blades down that slot over the decades. Always wondered where they
went.

Vaughn

RST Engineering July 6th 05 11:00 PM

A 15" medicine cabinet was designed to fit between standard 2x4 studs on 16"
centers. The blades dropped into the inter-wall space created by those
2x4s. A quick calculation for a medicine cabinet at 5' high, 15" wide, 3.5"
deep shows a space of some 3150 cubic inches. Assuming the blades were
about 1" x 2" x 0.005, this gives a blade volume of.01 cubic inches. You
could drop 315,000 blades into the slot before the space filled up. If you
changed blades every other day, you had a little over 1700 years of
capacity.

Jim

Ebby July 6th 05 11:49 PM

I can cross that one off my list of things I wonder about.

Vaughn July 7th 05 12:10 AM

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
A 15" medicine cabinet was designed to fit between standard 2x4 studs on 16"
centers. The blades dropped into the inter-wall space created by those 2x4s.
A quick calculation for a medicine cabinet at 5' high, 15" wide, 3.5" deep
shows a space of some 3150 cubic inches. Assuming the blades were about 1" x
2" x 0.005, this gives a blade volume of.01 cubic inches. You could drop
315,000 blades into the slot before the space filled up. If you changed blades
every other day, you had a little over 1700 years of capacity.

Ah yes Jim, but you forgot to take the firestops into consideration. They
were usually staggered at about bellybutton height, so that might cut the
capacity to something well under 1000 years. Those firestops are every old-work
electrician's nemesis. But running a wire is nothing, my old man (when he
wasn't shaving) used to fish heating ducts up through existing walls without
opening the plaster.

Actually, that was a heluva good answer Jim.

Vaughn

Edgar July 7th 05 12:15 AM

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
A 15" medicine cabinet was designed to fit between standard 2x4 studs on

16"
centers. The blades dropped into the inter-wall space created by those
2x4s. A quick calculation for a medicine cabinet at 5' high, 15" wide,

3.5"
deep shows a space of some 3150 cubic inches. Assuming the blades were
about 1" x 2" x 0.005, this gives a blade volume of.01 cubic inches. You
could drop 315,000 blades into the slot before the space filled up. If

you
changed blades every other day, you had a little over 1700 years of
capacity.

IF they fell correctly (flat).

Dan July 7th 05 12:56 AM

In one of the buildings I used to work in, all the medicine cabinets had
that slot, and they all opened up in the back into a pipe chase thru which I
had to run wire. Long sleeves and leather gloves all day every day in those
places. I never got cut badly but one fellow got caught just right and
almost bled to death, in a nurses residence, on a hospital campus.