-   -   Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam (http://www.aviationbanter.com/showthread.php?t=9683)

WalterM140 July 8th 04 11:23 PM

Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam

To put it in perspective, here are 9 ways Bush got favored treatment in the
service due to his political connections (he
was then son of a Congressman and grandson of a former Senator):

1) He got into the Guard by pulling strings, avoiding the year and a half
waiting list;
http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm#got in

2) He took a 2-month vacation in Florida after just 8 weeks, (1 of 3 leaves),
work on a political campaign;
http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm#firstleave

3) Bush skipped Officer Candidate School and got a special commission as a
2nd
Lieutenant, without qualifications;
http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm#2ndLt

4) He was assigned to a safe plane (being phased out of active service), the
F-102 ;
http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm#f102

5) During flight school, he was flown on a government jet to Washington for a
date with President Nixon's daughter Tricia ;
http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm#date

6) Bush got an illegal transfer (later overruled) to a base with no work;
http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm#moreleave

7) He simply didn't show up for a YEAR, AWOL with no penalty;
http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm#AWOL

8) George W. skipped all his medical exams after they started drug tests, and
was removed from flight status;
http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm#drugtest

9) He ended his service 10 months early to go to Harvard Business School;
http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm#discharge

[...]

I got a link not found message.

Someone may have hacked the site. That's what they've done to michaelmoore.com
also.

But good work.

Walt

Krztalizer July 9th 04 12:11 AM

I believe that is the first time I have heard of the F-102 as a "safe
aircraft"! Were they really?

v/r
Gordon

B2431 July 9th 04 12:28 AM

From: nt (Krztalizer)
Date: 7/8/2004 6:11 PM Central Daylight Time
I believe that is the first time I have heard of the F-102 as a "safe
aircraft"! Were they really?

v/r
Gordon

They were perfectly safe.........

Unpowered, sitting in a hangar...etc.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

miket6065 July 9th 04 02:36 AM

They were so "safe" that the design was redesigned into the F106 to fix all
the problems.

MikeT

Ian MacLure July 9th 04 03:33 AM

"miket6065" wrote in
om:

They were so "safe" that the design was redesigned into the F106 to
fix all the problems.

Safety wasn't the problem. Drag was. The F-102 was supposed to be
a supersonic aircraft but wasn't good for much beyond Mach 1.
Area ruling and an increase in power gave us the F-106, easily
capable of Mach 2.

IBM

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Steven P. McNicoll July 9th 04 03:50 AM

"Ian MacLure" wrote in message

Safety wasn't the problem. Drag was. The F-102 was supposed to be
a supersonic aircraft but wasn't good for much beyond Mach 1.

That would make it a supersonic aircraft.

Area ruling and an increase in power gave us the F-106, easily
capable of Mach 2.

The F-102A was area ruled.

ArtKramr July 9th 04 04:06 AM

Subject: Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam
From: Ian MacLure
Date: 7/8/2004 7:34 PM Pacific Standard Time

(Krztalizer) wrote in
:

I believe that is the first time I have heard of the F-102 as a "safe
aircraft"! Were they really?

Probably no more or less than any high performance jet a/c.
Flying fighters is inherently a hazardous occupation.

IBM

A lot more dangerous over enemy territory than over Texas. Believe me. I have
flown over both.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Ron July 9th 04 05:17 AM

A lot more dangerous over enemy territory than over Texas. Believe me. I
have
flown over both.

What is your opinion of someone who gets a pilot slot in the guard, as opposed
to someone who enters active duty infantry or naval forces, in the present day.

Ron
PA-31T Cheyenne II
Maharashtra Weather Modification Program
Pune, India

ArtKramr July 9th 04 06:06 AM

From: 362436 (Ron)
Date: 7/8/2004 9:17 PM Pacific Standard Time
A lot more dangerous over enemy territory than over Texas. Believe me. I
have
flown over both.

What is your opinion of someone who gets a pilot slot in the guard, as
opposed
to someone who enters active duty infantry or naval forces, in the present
day.

Ron
PA-31T Cheyenne II
Maharashtra Weather Modification Program
Pune, India

I'm too much of a coward for the infantry. I'd rather take my chances in the
flak over Germany.

Cub Driver July 9th 04 10:40 AM

I believe that is the first time I have heard of the F-102 as a "safe
aircraft"! Were they really?

As Ed Rasimus has said: "Every time you kick the tires and light the
fire in a single-engine, single-seat Century Series jet, it can kill
you--all by itself without help from an enemy."
www.warbirdforum.com/bushf102.htm

There is a page by Walt BJ (based on his posts on this newsgroup) at
http://www.warbirdforum.com/waltbj.htm

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum