Search: Posts made by: Andrew Ainslie
Forum: Soaring August 18th 17, 05:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Microsoft Teaches Autonomous Gliders to Make Decisions on the Fly

Sheesh! A brick run by an 8088 chip can soar in Nevada!

Come to Western New York and see how you do :)
Forum: Soaring August 9th 17, 02:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
#JWGC August 8 - US Pilots

Congrats to our juniors!
Forum: Soaring May 24th 17, 04:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Letter to the FAA

The "We just need to train better" mantra doesn't always work. Every single one of us knows of a couple of people at our own airfield with dodgy skills, and it's always hard to just boot someone from...
Forum: Soaring May 9th 17, 09:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Splittng a GPS antenna to multiple devices

Jim,

I just got my splitter (the one that you used) and a GPS antenna from Digikey with the catchy part number ANT-GPS-SH-SMA-ND and connected it to my Power-FLARM, Clearnav 2 and Clearnav vario and...
Forum: Soaring April 6th 17, 01:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Formula 1.0 Grand Prix

Bernie Ecclestone won't be happy with that name - I hope he doesn't come after your huge fortunes with a trade name lawsuit :)
Forum: Soaring April 6th 17, 01:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Trig TN72 Antenna

There's another thread on this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/Multiple$20GPS$20antennas/rec.aviation.soaring/ovwxmlKN3Iw

This can help with the quality of...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 17, 04:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Trig TN72 Antenna

If the antenna doesn't perform adequately one would know pretty quickly. It simply wouldn't be able to pinpoint location accurately.

Plus, that antenna was just an example. Clearnav sells a similar...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 17, 01:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Trig TN72 Antenna

I'm now a lot more into this. Your Clearnav, LXNAV, FLARM antennae are all exactly the same as that 300 buck antenna in terms of spec and performance.

BTW if you're really into TSO'ed equipment,...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 17, 09:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
First electric aerotow

It's not hybrid, it's pure...
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 17, 04:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Trig TN72 Antenna

I just noticed that there is a difference in cable termination, which could probably be fixed with something like...
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 17, 03:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Trig TN72 Antenna

Richard,

That antenna is also amplified. I get that the TRIG one is TSO'ed, but is that really necessary for this application? Also a lot of money was spent making it tough to go on top of a plane...
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 17, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Trig TN72 Antenna

Greetings all,

Well, the TN72 is to be released shortly, and for those of us with Trig transponders this looks to be a great way to get ADS-B compliant. But... they recommend also buying a...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 17, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

....not to mention that they can't keep up with demand for their $200k gliders, what possible incentive do they have to do this?
Forum: Soaring March 15th 17, 02:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

If WHAT was the same price?

There is no such product, nor will there be.

Unless you'd like, as an act of philanthropy, to take $20 million or so and sink it onto making gliders and selling them at...
Forum: Soaring March 14th 17, 08:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

Here's the funniest part of all this... try buying a glider. Long wait times. Factories can't keep up with the demand. And that's at these "excessive" prices.

That's not exactly a sign of an...
Forum: Soaring March 14th 17, 04:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

Oh I get it now. You're reminding us of the halcyon Bush days when brave Americans pumped out affordable gliders..:)
Forum: Soaring February 28th 17, 04:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
EASA licence and insurance

Thank you everyone for the help! We have tight deadlines but may be able to get this done. the key issue is, where is the glider registered? If the glider is US registered, they need the FAA document...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 17, 01:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
EASA licence and insurance

Is it a walk in thing or does it require time? He is intending to compete in Florida and has limited time, so this is a setback. We both assumed that the EASA license was sufficient to be legal in...
Forum: Soaring February 27th 17, 10:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
EASA licence and insurance

Hi all,

I'm lending my glider to a British pilot who has an EASA licence. I just called Costello up and asked what I needed to add him to my insurance, and they said that he needed a "USA add-on"....
Forum: Soaring January 7th 17, 06:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
ELT replacement advice?

The two act in a very complementary way. It's like asking, what should I have, safety belt or airbags?

Why "or"?
Forum: Soaring December 28th 16, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Top 20 XC Soaring Sites in the US

I think you're missing a few points. Here's an example: Harris Hill is an extraordinary historical repository for glider pilots. The weather is sometimes dodgy... but what's more fun, doing 200 miles...
Forum: Soaring December 26th 16, 03:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
I need a glider in trailer towed from NY to WA

I once offered to help someone with a trailer. It disintegrated on me and nearly killed me. The people who asked me to help never contributed a cent.

Anyone offering you the option to tow your...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 16, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
Glider EFIS anyone?

I just went to the LX Nav page, and boy have things changed! It looks like they're putting out some interesting instruments. The ASI that someone pointed out earlier in the JS1 cockpit ( I think...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 16, 03:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
InReach - does it matter which model I get

Oops, typo - nag was meant to be nav.
Forum: Soaring June 29th 16, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andrew Ainslie
InReach - does it matter which model I get

I totally agree. Quite a few reviews talk about how poor the navigation is for hiking. It's infinitely worse in a cockpit as the screen is too small and the interface requires far too many clicks....