Forum: Soaring June 14th 18, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer stuck closed

we were interested to find that the whole cylinder had expanded enough to make getting it out of its square sleeve difficult.

Any ideas what caused this? Rust? Gradual deformation over time (I...
Forum: Soaring June 13th 18, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Feeding Two Devices from PowerFLARM

Yeah, I know this has been discussed. I've researched it. But I can't find this specific question answered.

I want to connect my PowerFLARM Portable to my LX FLARMView AND to my Kobo running TopHat....
Forum: Soaring June 6th 18, 11:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towplane-Baron accident

The link to court docs turns out to require signing up for a service (albeit with a free trial) to read them but it did reveal that the CAP was dismissed as a defendant by agreement of all parties....
Forum: Soaring June 6th 18, 07:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marion Griffith

Don't think I ever had the pleasure of meeting him. Certainly heard a great many good things about him over the years from people I respect, as a pilot and gentleman and for his service to soaring in...
Forum: Soaring June 6th 18, 07:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towplane-Baron accident

Glad to learn I'm not the only one uneasy with the outcome. It's natural for us glider pilots to object to a court decision that makes the glider operation solely liable. The court system doesn't...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towplane-Baron accident

It's dangerous to speculate on a situation like this so I'll just pose a few questions, recognizing that some will conclude I'm looking for a way to assign blame. I'm not.

1. Does it make sense that...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 03:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

I've never been accused of economy of phrasing myself, so I feel I must leap to Bob's defense, Jonathan.

You apparently have a law degree so I assume you're familiar with the concept of conflict of...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 18, 10:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

A wasting asset is one with a limited life, at the end of which it has no value or utility. For most assets, their depreciable lives--i.e., the interval over which the tax authorities allow expensing...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 18, 12:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

I was not aware of Para-Phernalia's 20-year life (which seems to check out based on quick research). I don't believe it's common knowledge. If I had known about it, I would not have bought mine. At...
Forum: Soaring May 31st 18, 10:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

How does the sunshade impact your ability to use it as a touchscreen device? I worry that it would be more awkward, especially when trying to brace your hand against the bezel to steady your finger...
Forum: Soaring May 27th 18, 08:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Weight of D steel 02 cylinder Schliecher

Just a reminder that all cylinders are not necessarily alike. Twenty-five years ago I discovered that (at least then) my ASW 24 oxygen bottle holder was a REALLY tight fit for a steel bottle (D size,...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 10:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pitot system - odd event

My 14-year-old ASI failed at Uvalde mid-contest. One day it worked. The next morning apparently the diaphragm or some other internal part was open. Sometimes stuff breaks. Usually only one thing at a...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 10:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tape the pitot/static system during storage?

When I tape up the statics and triple probe socket for winter storage, I just prick the tape with a pin or knife point. I'm not sure it's necessary but I just don't want to worry about it.

Chip...
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 18, 06:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Durango, CO

After the Std. Class Nats in 2007, I dropped off my ASW 24 with Bif Huss in Colorado Springs and picked up my family in Denver. We spent the next 3 weeks doing a giant loop of National Parks and...
Forum: Soaring May 18th 18, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

On Friday, May 18, 2018 at 8:24:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
However, I can't find a LiFePO4 equivalent for it. Does such a thing exist?

How about this one?

Forum: Soaring May 15th 18, 08:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

I got my simple answer about the apparently non-existent larger size LiFePO4 battery.

Regarding the ensuing discussion, I didn't go the LiFePO4 route a few years ago even though the sentiment at the...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 18, 08:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Reducing collision hazard at contests

Three different (albeit related) situations leading to potential collisions:
1. Competent pilots get close to each other in the ordinary course of contest flying. No problem.
2. Competent pilots get...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 18, 07:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Komet trailer axle dillema

On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 2:22:48 PM UTC-4, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
I would run, not walk, away from the proposed deal. Have the wheel bearings replaced and carry on.

Agreed. I believe the...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 18, 06:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stowing water?

I fly with two 70 oz CamelBaks stuffed behind the headrest on the "luggage shelf."

That's about 9 pounds of water...behind your head. I suspect the biggest difference between getting hit by 9...
Forum: Soaring May 14th 18, 11:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scotch tape

What are the most flexible/stretchy tapes? I need something to tape the gap around a small, teardrop-shaped fairing with a fairly sharp bend. Currently there are two pieces of tape that overlap at...
Forum: Soaring May 12th 18, 04:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 7:15:02 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
This assumes that all lithium batteries have a full-featured BMS circuit
that protects against battery abuse. That seems to be a bad...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 18, 10:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

I don't usually drain them. I switch to the backup if I'm on a long flight or it's cold. Rarely does the main batt go low enough to get the "low battery" warning blinking (11.2v). They don't cost...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 18, 08:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

Not to start another chapter in "Battery Wars" but I have a simple question about "drop in" LiFePO4 battery replacements for SLA batteries in gliders.

For years, I've used an SLA battery with the...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 18, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring not compatible with modern society?

Most Americans think that small power planes are 'extremely dangerous', and whenever it slips out that I fly gliders, casual acquaintances think that I'm 'totally nuts'. The people that already...
Forum: Soaring May 10th 18, 07:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring not compatible with modern society?

What's surprising to me is not that soaring is declining, but that there are still relatively so many of us involved.

When I was 14, my father was already driving an hour each way to/from Richmond,...