Search: Posts made by: Bug Dout
Forum: Piloting May 7th 15, 02:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
FAA Wants To Cancel 736 NDB, VOR/DME Approaches

Larry Dighera writes:

On Sun, 03 May 2015 17:26:04 -0700, Bug Dout wrote:

The cost-saving incentive of NextGen ATC is flawed, aircraft position...
Forum: Piloting May 4th 15, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
FAA Wants To Cancel 736 NDB, VOR/DME Approaches

Larry Dighera writes:

The FAA has published a list of 736 NDB and VOR/DME instrument
approaches (PDF:

Well, the NDB stations should disappear. VOR, no opinion, but they...
Forum: Piloting February 2nd 15, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
video - pilot runs out of fuel, pops parachute

Skywise writes:

But NEVER become reliant on it. If you can't fly on steam, take
a refresher, or stay on the ground.

Oh bull****. If you can't fly entirely by the old...
Forum: Piloting February 2nd 15, 08:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
video - pilot runs out of fuel, pops parachute

Skywise writes:

it reminds
me to be very very thorough when I write my software.

Being thorough doesn't prevent errors in any activity...it might only
reduce the...
Forum: Piloting November 30th 14, 05:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
Skunky BP AvGas ??... Another Splat into Homes.

Their ancestors the first immigrants.

Anyway the point is the tiny minority exists at the pleasure and
tolerance of the overwhelming majority. In our case, General Aviation at
the tolerance of the...
Forum: Piloting November 30th 14, 11:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
Skunky BP AvGas ??... Another Splat into Homes.

Pilots always mention this, but I remind them how well that argument
worked for the Native Americans. Might makes Right.

Sylvia Else writes:

Partly to blame are the...
Forum: Piloting September 24th 14, 03:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Bug Dout
UPDATE: FAA says homebuilders have to build the components of their projects off-airport

I applaud the FAA's interpretation. In California there's a shortage of
hangars generally, in no small measure because of hangars full of junk
airplane parts that supposedly make 1 or more airplanes....
Forum: Piloting September 13th 14, 04:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
FAA says homebuilders have to build the components of their projects off-airport

Orval Fairbairn writes:

How about putting "jgrove" and others of his ilk in there with them?
How about using a good Usenet reader, and filtering his kind from your...
Forum: Piloting September 13th 14, 04:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
Join us to help save Santa Monica Airport!

writes:

A lot of the houses are in adjoining LA city. What should have been
done, should the orange groves been kept ??
Some of them, yes. LA would be a lot more pleasant if...
Forum: Piloting September 13th 14, 04:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
Join us to help save Santa Monica Airport!

writes:

Why should 5 percent of Santa Monica's land to restricted to .00001
percent of the population to use ??

Why should a city have a park? Not everyone will use it....
Forum: Piloting September 2nd 14, 04:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
FAA Bans GA Ride Sharing Companies

Sylvia Else writes:

All that said, I think one would have to be mad to fly with a private
pilot whom one doesn't know. There are some lunatics out there, and
some...
Forum: Home Built September 2nd 14, 04:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Bug Dout
FAA says homebuilders have to build the components of their projects off-airport

writes:

Which is why community level airports should avoid federal funding.

If they can afford to. The vast majority of public airports would wither
and die with only...
Forum: Piloting September 2nd 14, 04:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Bug Dout
UPDATE: FAA says homebuilders have to build the components of their projects off-airport

There was a great outcry about the FAA's position on the Vans Air Force
forum, as you can imagine. I took the minority view that the rule
clarification to prohibit building (and all non-aviation...
Forum: Home Built February 9th 14, 04:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Bug Dout
Doug Reeves of Vans Air Force

writes:

Private college= $50K+ annually.

Came too late to see the previous articles in this thread.

Anybody who pays for private college for an undergrad degree, and...
Forum: Piloting November 4th 13, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
General Aviation Dead?

Good arguments. But I always use this:

The highest economic use of a piece of land is not always the most
desirable use.

Consider city parks. They produce no tax revenue, on the contrary,...
Forum: Piloting September 9th 13, 05:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
UAV Hunting License Applications Mount

One could treat this as a humorous hahaha story. But at $25 per license,
clearly people are taking it seriously and will want to exercise their
new right to shoot at things zooming through the air. I...
Forum: Home Built August 20th 13, 01:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Bug Dout
Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt

writes:

Anybody still BUILDING anything?
Still working on the P100 (Pegazair).
Slowly.

Well, sounds interesting. More details?
--
Quarrels would not last long if only one...
Forum: Home Built August 18th 13, 01:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

writes:

On Wed, 15 May 2013 04:10:30 -0500, Richard
wrote:

Anybody still monitoring RAH?

I miss the days of Chuck, Badwater Bill, Zoom, Juan,...
Forum: Home Built August 7th 13, 06:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Bug Dout
Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt

I'm thinking his "flight suit" is not flame retardant.
--
Nothing overshadows truth so much as authority.
~ Leon Battista Alberti

Now they're saying it was another lithium battery problem, but in the
ELT made by Honeywell. Geez, suddenly all these lithium battery
problems.
--
In America you can go on the air and kid the...
Forum: General Aviation July 19th 13, 05:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.misc

Quite relevant.

I too was in a flying club with a variety of aircraft, including a J-3
and an Airknocker. Had a tailwheel refresher in the J-3 with a commuter
airline pilot/instructor. Evidently he,...
Forum: General Aviation July 10th 13, 10:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.misc
Posted By Bug Dout
Asiana 777 at SFO

I saw that on Reddit. Pretty scary stuff. I think I'll refrain from
flying Asian airlines and stick with North American or Western European
airlines.

The bad thing is, pretty much anybody could fly...
Forum: General Aviation July 8th 13, 09:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.misc
Posted By Bug Dout
Asiana 777 at SFO

Looking more and more like piloting incompetence, by all the flight
crew. The cabin crew did a good job though.
--
Style is less the man than the way a man takes himself.
- Robert Frost

"Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat and Body Roll Bros Suspension Works"
writes:

On 6/17/13 2:33 AM, David E. Powell wrote:
As abandoned or damaged aircraft are out there, are...
Forum: Piloting June 22nd 13, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bug Dout
Anybody take a small plane into LAX? Is it crazy?

I know a guy who flew his Ercoupe into JFK, so that it could be
disassembled and shipped to Europe. I think they wanted him to arrive in
the early morning hours, but he did it. If you still want to...