Search: Posts made by: son_of_flubber
Forum: Soaring February 19th 21, 06:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
FLARM in USA?

Note that Power Flarm also has some ADS-B-in capabilities.
Forum: Soaring February 19th 21, 01:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
FLARM in USA?

Power Flarm is used in the USA, and people often shorten this to Flarm, but it is different than the Flarm used in the rest of the world.

ADS-B is useless in gaggles beyond telling you that there...
Forum: Soaring November 21st 20, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
That Crazy Canadian

I would not be surprised if that guy is a glider pilot.
Forum: Soaring November 11th 20, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Attention Glasflugel Libelle Pilots

Literal Google translation

SOLLFAHRTGEBER -- SHOULD SPEED SENSOR
Forum: Soaring October 31st 20, 06:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Promoting Soaring (Among Women) | Kudos MASA!

On Saturday, October 31, 2020 at 1:53:02 AM UTC-4, Cindy Brickner wrote:

Wow. How wonderful.

I honestly recommend to random people that I meet, 'Bring a picnic to the airport. Watch the...
Forum: Soaring October 31st 20, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Soaring Club Financials

On Saturday, October 31, 2020 at 11:24:12 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Nice looking field! Is it the norm to land on the grass?

https://sugarbushsoaring.com/about-us/our-airport

Glass ships...
Forum: Soaring October 31st 20, 02:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Soaring Club Financials

Members invested in the futu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ptxS7ROix0&feature=youtu.be
Forum: Soaring October 31st 20, 12:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Promoting Soaring (Among Women) | Kudos MASA!

On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 6:15:18 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:

I've always admired a lady friend who towed at ASI and squatted in the sagebrush on the far side of the runway to pee. There was a...
Forum: Soaring October 24th 20, 05:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
An opportunity for people from our demographic to contribute

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:46:57 PM UTC-4, Gregg Ballou wrote:

Can anyone cite an FAA source to confirm this assertion?
Give the FAA a call and ask.

So you just made up what you...
Forum: Soaring October 23rd 20, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
An opportunity for people from our demographic to contribute

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:46:57 PM UTC-4, Gregg Ballou wrote:

FYI participants in covid vaccine trials are not eligible to hold a FAA medical.

Can anyone cite an FAA source to confirm...
Forum: Soaring October 23rd 20, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
An opportunity for people from our demographic to contribute

Here is a way to do something about the impact of Covid-19 on Soaring.

COVID-19 Prevention Network (CoVPN) Volunteer Screening Registry is the way to connect volunteers to practical studies related...
Forum: Soaring September 12th 20, 04:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
New England club in need of a 2-33

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 9:49:34 PM UTC-4, KyleCharles wrote:
Our small club lost our 2-33 in a wind storm this season.

What club?
Forum: Soaring August 21st 20, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Apis M Owners

On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 4:42:33 PM UTC-4, Frank Sanches wrote:
Gel-coated, will need to repaint, but I will fly this season and repaint in next year. Gel-coat it's not very well. I bought it...
Forum: Soaring August 21st 20, 07:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Apis M Owners

Is it painted or gel-coated?
Forum: Soaring August 20th 20, 07:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Update

Hi Robert,

You might consider Radio Controlled aircraft. Fun to build. Best flown below 400 AGL. Relatively safe and there are great clubs where you can share with other enthusiasts. Best of all...
Forum: Soaring August 20th 20, 02:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Omarama update

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 4:05:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:

At the moment things are still unsettled, but a lot of people have a lot invested in the Omarama gliding site.

I'm...
Forum: Soaring August 19th 20, 03:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Omarama update

I've no inside knowledge, but I fully expect that someone will find a way for overseas pilots to fly at Omarama by the time the border opens to visitors.

This article sheds some light on that...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 20, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
New Electric Motorglider-Birdy

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 4:13:39 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:

Anyone know what the street price of the Birdy is going to be?

BTW, its something like a 'fast-build kit'.
Forum: Soaring August 13th 20, 06:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
New Electric Motorglider-Birdy

RES? Rear End Selflaunch
Forum: Soaring August 4th 20, 02:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Are areas of sink modeled well in Condor2?

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 4:16:11 AM UTC-4, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:

Condor is a great way of learning how to thermal but actually advanced techniques aren't easy to learn in Condor.

Is...
Forum: Soaring July 22nd 20, 06:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
27 crash at Ely? And mountain flying discussion

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 7:18:33 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

The situation we've been discussing is thermalling close to a mountain because
that's where the thermals are, with the...
Forum: Soaring July 21st 20, 11:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
27 crash at Ely?

Is close_to_terrain slope and ridge soaring unavoidable in big mountain terrain in SW USA, or can you opt out and stay 1000+AGL when using ridge, thermal, wave, and convergence lift?

I did six...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 20, 05:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
Quick Rescue

... It appeared from the flight path that the glider was "flying itself" for several minutes before coming to an abrupt halt.

.... the pilot had suffered a neurological issue in the minutes prior...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 20, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By son_of_flubber
INSURANCE, WHAT CAN WE EXPECT

Just brainstorming and my apologies if this seems insensitive, but I've been thinking that in the interest of keeping premiums affordable, I would accept an insurance policy that voided my hull...