Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring Today, 02:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Solo 2350D won't start

Charlie reminds me:* I had a new Ford pickup back in the 80s and, while
still under warranty, it started running roughly.* The dealer was unable
to find a problem until they closed the roll up...
Forum: Soaring Today, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

Oh for the love of God!* Can't you speak civilly about the leader of the
free word?* What color are you, Don?* The continued use of epithets by
you has caused me to lose any respect which I...
Forum: Soaring Today, 01:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

Real men don't drink tea, that's why we dumped it in the harbor... :-D

On 3/30/2020 7:09 AM, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 12:55 30 March 2020, wrote:
We are already considered...
Forum: Soaring Today, 01:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

I'm not grounded.* Just waiting for a decent day.

On 3/29/2020 2:22 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 4:06:55 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 05:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Solo 2350D won't start

At only $3 or $4 each, I'd definitely change the spark plugs.

And, going back about 50 years or so when I was a radio technician in
the Air Force (before I got my EE degree), a megger or a mega-ohm...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 06:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

Very good information, thanks!

But your calculation does not consider those who died, but had not been
tested.* They would be considered in the numerator but not in the
denominator and so would...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

Nah...* The same information is available through multiple sources. Just
look and you'll find it without having to pay for it.

On 3/29/2020 9:21 AM, Roy B. wrote:
Eric:
Many of the news...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 06:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

I'm not a subscriber to WSJ (so I couldn't read the article), but my
concern throughout all of this is that nowhere have I seen, heard, or
read a plausible reason for these exceptional measures...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 05:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

Folks in my neck of the woods have literally thousands of rounds of
ammunition.* In California they would be called crazies, and their
hoards, "arsenals".* In Arizona or Texas, they'd be called...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

:-D* Oh, Jonathan...!

On 3/28/2020 3:54 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
One would think we could bribe a better class of governance.

--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 05:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good historical write up, Mike, but the intent of my post was the
current fear of CG hooks.* Today pretty much every glider has a tail
wheel with a rubber tire and plenty of rudder authority.*...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 05:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
The Decline of Soaring Awards

Yes!* What young pilot would not jump at the chance to fly for free with
lots of takeoffs and landings?

On 3/29/2020 6:33 AM, wrote:
Maybe getting young involved as tow...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 20, 04:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Much Ado About Nothing

Well put.* Let's hear from the opposition.

On 3/28/2020 10:16 AM, wrote:
"I never noticed a difference either on take off or tow."

I don't agree, CG is more pleasing to fly...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 20, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
The Decline of Soaring Awards

That is simply terrific!

I suggest you repost under your own subject line, just as Bret suggested.

On 3/28/2020 9:13 AM, Bret Hess wrote:

If anyone can help us bring this to the US, I'd...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 20, 03:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

We can fly in New Mexico.* I have a self launcher and need not see
another person.* If I have an accident, that's on me (over 47 years
without an accident).* (Un)fortunately, the weather is not...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 20, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Needing a Conditional Inspection (west coast)

And yes, an Experimental aircraft needs an Annual Condition Inspection
which can be accomplished by any A&P mechanic, though you might like to
have one who is familiar with gliders and/or composite...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 20, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Much Ado About Nothing

To lift a title from The Bard and, since there's not much else going on
these days, and to give homage to Roseanne Roseannadana...

What's all this nonsense I keep hearing about CG hooks?

My first...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 20, 05:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

I just received an email from the New Mexico Pilots Association. They
queried the governor's office about private flying and the response was
positive for solo and flights with family members. Now,...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 20, 05:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

How long ago did Newsome make that claim?* What's the current count?*
What's a reasonable projection for the stated 7 weeks?

On 3/26/2020 11:41 PM, Duster wrote:
Mike,
I heard this news...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 20, 05:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring already DOA for the season???

All of these cases are tragic but so many people and outlets use the
exception, rather than the rule, to state their case.

Just because one 26 year old gets the virus and requires hospitalization...
Forum: Soaring March 25th 20, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Looking for a drawing or photo of a 2-33 swivelling tailwheel

If you happen to use an email client, say Thunderbird, like I do, it's a
simply matter of clicking on the "Reply" button.

On 3/25/2020 12:58 AM, Mark Briner wrote:
I would also be interested in...
Forum: Soaring March 25th 20, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Trailer access calculation?

I have a similar steep angle from the road to my driveway, but no sharp
turn in the driveway as you describe.* I've dragged the tail of my
trailer slowly (skids on the aft end of the trailer),...
Forum: Soaring March 25th 20, 03:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Soaring Moving to Condor?

How long until we see Condor hardware appearing on Wings and Wheels?*
Gotta upgrade your hardware to win at high level contests... :-D

On 3/24/2020 10:04 PM, wrote:
Forum: Soaring March 24th 20, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

Land outs are adventures in themselves!* I've landed out in numerous
plowed fields, a residential airpark, and a couple of airports. It's fun
to have a crew come and help with loading the glider...
Forum: Soaring March 24th 20, 09:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
The Decline of Soaring Awards

You could do like me and take off with a case of the flu (back in the
'80s), sit miserably in the cockpit for 5 1/2 hours, and land to find
that you'd not screwed the nut tightly enough on the...