Search: Posts made by: Steve Koerner
Forum: Soaring October 12th 18, 07:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
"Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 8:41:00 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Alas the 915 MHz band and other ISM bands are already congested with many other uses, and (from the wikipedia page)...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 18, 11:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Fair enough John. It seems like most guys are reacting along that line. Do look back to my Oct 2 post suggesting that there needn't be a mandate if insurance rates became the motivating mechanism.
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 05:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Roy,

This will be an over-the-shoulder view; so nobodies plumbing parts are in the picture. Let's not worry about that.

Again, I understand that it doesn't sell well as a strictly voluntary thing...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 01:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Roy,

Most of us routinely fly with multiple loggers and trackers. All of that data is just as subject to subpoena as the proposed video data. Logger and tracker data is just as useful in each of...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 18, 12:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

I agree, Paul. There needs to be a mandate from within -- not from the FAA.

I agree also that insurance rate incentives might be a great angle to help make it happen.
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 18, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

On Monday, October 1, 2018 at 2:38:26 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Is it April 1st already?

There is no way a camera will be in my cockpit, car, home, bathroom, you
name it, without my...
Forum: Soaring October 1st 18, 09:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

I'm sick and tired of reading about glider crashes and never knowing what actually happened. We badly need to be able to learn from the misfortune of our soaring compadres.

The obvious answer is...
Forum: Soaring September 29th 18, 05:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Uncontrolled Loops Elevator failure

All of this horribleness points to one particular conclusion in my mind. Personal parachutes are not a satisfactory solution in way too many situations. We need to have whole aircraft chutes --...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 18, 04:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Marfa Gliders is NOT closing!

More better than OLC would be to bring back sanctioned racing to Marfa. That would be awesome. Maybe just like Sun Ship games but without the cigarette butts.
Forum: Soaring September 4th 18, 10:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Vario Comparison

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 12:49:36 PM UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 10:59:26 AM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 9:07:09 AM...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 18, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Vario Comparison

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 9:07:09 AM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Lift from horizontal gusts can be filtered out with rates of dynamic pressure and attitude, perhaps with application of...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 18, 12:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Glider crash near Reno yesterday

Checking sailplane tracker, there are no gliders indicated that go missing yesterday in that area. Yesterday was obviously a strong soaring day with good altitudes based on the great flights out of...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 18, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 7:52:39 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Releasing is always an option.* I would rather land straight ahead,
maneuvering just enough to avoid any hard things on the...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 18, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

This subject comes up every few years on RAS and that's a very good thing. Long ago there was a death on tow with a heavily watered ship that I'm pretty sure was caused by this.

I have already...
Forum: Soaring August 3rd 18, 12:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
trying to understand Wings program

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 3:11:45 PM UTC-7, CindyB wrote:
On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 2:47:51 PM UTC-7, SoaringXCellence wrote:
OK, I have to jump in here; The wings program is a...
Forum: Soaring August 2nd 18, 07:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
trying to understand Wings program

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 9:16:22 AM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
There is a "FAA minimum, then there is suggested".

You think you are good, current and safe, maybe a...
Forum: Soaring August 2nd 18, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
trying to understand Wings program

Stu, I understand and completely agree about the benefits of going to lectures and staying current with online courses etc.

My issue is just the flight part. It looked like you'd be doing three...
Forum: Soaring August 2nd 18, 04:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
trying to understand Wings program

At the FAA site there is a 35 page explanation of this program. I spent an hour or so trying to speed read it and came away still not really understanding it. I'm hoping someone here that's...
Forum: Soaring August 1st 18, 12:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Ultimate Survival Pack

I don't think so. Andy figured it out when the hen was pulled out of the pack.

Good show, Dan. At the end of the video I had that strong urge to yell at "Andy" and - by the way - he/she may be a...
Forum: Soaring July 25th 18, 10:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
US team silence

Steve,
You are confusing pilots who are out to win a World Championship
with others who just want to tag along for fun. Kawa and other
serious racers are out to win a WGC, and the best...
Forum: Soaring July 25th 18, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
US team silence

There are known ways to deal with some of these issues:
Examples:
FLARM competition mode to reduce the tactical benefit of FLARM radar.
Delayed availability of tracking information.
Forum: Soaring July 21st 18, 04:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Ventus 3F - Fatal

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 6:15:40 PM UTC-7, WB wrote:
On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 6:30:07 PM UTC-5, Jock Proudfoot wrote:
National Transportation Safety Board
Aviation Accident...
Forum: Soaring July 14th 18, 05:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
flarm antenna placement

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 4:42:56 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Still looking to improve my flarm range especially below. I have a Trig T22 fin antenna on the bottom of my 27. Can I somehow...
Forum: Soaring July 6th 18, 08:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Accelerated spin in unexpected direction at low altitude

Normally you think of a spin associated with turning flight where there is an inside wing that is going slower than the outside wing and thus already at a higher AOA than the outside wing. The...
Forum: Soaring July 5th 18, 11:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Accelerated spin in unexpected direction at low altitude

On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 3:00:06 PM UTC-7, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 06:36 04 July 2018, CindyB wrote:

Don't spin a Puch without chutes and a hard deck(1000m agl). Ever.

Best...