Search: Posts made by: George Haeh
Forum: Soaring June 14th 21, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Oxygen

I took an Aerox system to 18,000 being careful to adjust flow rate to altitude. After landing I was so wiped out, I grounded myself for two days.

Promptly switched to MH. Once you get to around...
Forum: Soaring June 12th 21, 02:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Winch demonstration/training at home gliderport

One may find that the real estate acquisition for a 4,000' + runway to get a decent winch launch height is more expensive than a Pawnee.

Be careful with trailers from South Carolina as people there...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 21, 09:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Flarm Target direction

I mount two long antennas on opposite sides of my canopy. Use a block with Velcro to keep the antenna tips clear of the canopy. Having transmit on both antennas as with Fusion is even better....
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 21, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Golf Cart Starter Burn Out

Yes, gas powered.
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 21, 04:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Golf Cart Starter Burn Out

We replaced the starter last September and the new one died last weekend.

It's covered by warranty, but the technician says the brushes were worn out and it was abused.

Is there something we...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 21, 05:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Flarm Target direction

The FlarmLED offers minimal information. With other displays you can adjust the range to allow yourself to see what other aircraft are up to as well as relative altitude, azimuth, range, vario,...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 21, 01:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Tow plane ideas

One club decided on a 182 over a Pawnee. Parts availability was a major factor. Also easier to do check outs.

Considerable cylinder work and cooling issues ensued. Changed to a Pawnee.
Forum: Soaring May 26th 21, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Replacing aging club Grobs...best options?

My club is really lucky to have a 103 with good useful load, and I am getting to really like it as a trainer.

Hint: Toss the lead batteries and replace with a single LiFePO4.

We've been having...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 21, 06:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Starter Ship FS

Fantastic video!

Is there a pool on when he lands in the burn ward?
Forum: Soaring May 16th 21, 11:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Two Seat Cobra Trailer Tire Replacement

We just need an extra crew or autopilot to steer the trailer:

https://youtu.be/xa2ihMkzX3g
Forum: Soaring April 28th 21, 02:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Hawk Wind

Installation challenge = can not bother to read installation manual.

Priceless!
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 21, 05:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
FLARM Fusion Range

Oh yes,

Looking at your antenna in the bracket, the lead runs parallel to the antenna when it should run at a 90° angle directly away from the dipole.

You really need to carefully read:...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 21, 05:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
FLARM Fusion Range

I use long antennas ($20 each) on foam blocks:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tg8GHbnkDu3Lj7t78

Range:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12rMOFICmO5Lvx-0XU1ksUd0kEbeIeb1Z/view?usp=drivesdk

Installing a...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 21, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
New Luxury Tax on Gliders in Canada

On 4/20/2021 10:44 PM, George Haeh wrote:
Canadians have to remember that we are really buying glider kits in a Cobra...
Forum: Soaring April 21st 21, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
FLARM Fusion Range

"The tops of the dipoles are very close to the canopy plex (by design) and I think one is even touching"

Matt, that's a big NO-NO.

I mount my antennas with a (little) finger thickness between the...
Forum: Soaring April 21st 21, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
New Luxury Tax on Gliders in Canada

Canadians have to remember that we are really buying glider kits in a Cobra box. Have manufacturer issue separate invoices for kit parts. Ship to US port. Arrange spots to store kit parts on both...
Forum: Soaring April 21st 21, 03:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
FLARM Fusion Range

I get great results from my Core 1.1 with antennas mounted on the canopy sides of my ASW-27.

I'm not able to view the tiff files. Any hints on viewing these files from...
Forum: Soaring April 1st 21, 02:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
AHRS and competition/badges/records/OLC ?

My inclination would be to treat turning on the AHRS as a landout - similar to how an airspace violation is treated.

Eventually one or more contest gliders will be sucked into a big cu * la...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 21, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Trailer tow from Texas to California

Many of us have used Uship.
Forum: Soaring March 28th 21, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Accident in England

The boy is instructor material. I know a bunch of instructors who wrote off gliders - the list keeps growing.
Forum: Soaring March 18th 21, 05:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Ground Operations, Margins, and Safety

I was once launching in a good crosswind with a line of gliders alongside (the plan was to change runways after my launch). I had the towpilot taxi us forward until past the gliders before launch....
Forum: Soaring March 18th 21, 05:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Groundloop accident at the Senior Contest

It's usually the early ground roll where you might not be able to keep the wings clear of the ground.

In my ASW-27 on aerotow, I keep my hand on the release until the gear gets noisy. That's when I...
Forum: Soaring March 17th 21, 05:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Groundloop accident at the Senior Contest

Winching we teach keeping the hand on the release for the entire launch.

With CG hook on aerotow, same applies as tow pilot preservation becomes paramount. I've had to release twice in the air (tow...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 21, 05:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Airports that have oxygen

At the Cowley wave camps, there's the odd day when record attempts are made to 30,000+ It gets really cold up there as in -30C - actually surface temperature at night a week or so ago.

My welding...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 21, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Flying with Parachutes

After seeing Nadler's talk, I discussed a static line with my master rigger.. It seems there's no simple way to set up a static line for the chutes most of us use where the ripcord normally goes over...