Search: Posts made by: Eric Greenwell[_4_]
Forum: Soaring Today, 06:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barographs?

Jim S wrote on 10/24/2020 10:28 AM:
Thanks Eric, Will see if I can find one of those. Having a manufacturer name will help.

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 11:48:09 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell...
Forum: Soaring Today, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barographs?

Jim S wrote on 10/24/2020 8:02 AM:
I was mainly interested in the mechanical, smoke type. Was not interested in one for competition but mainly to use for historical interests.
Iím not a collector...
Forum: Soaring Today, 02:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
An opportunity for people from our demographic to contribute

Gregg Ballou wrote on 10/24/2020 5:04 AM:
On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 2:03:58 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:46:57 PM UTC-4, Gregg Ballou wrote:

FYI...
Forum: Soaring Today, 01:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New alpine soaring video on YouTube

Christopher FLEMING wrote on 10/23/2020 11:02 AM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4okrE4xfc

An ASH 31 Mi starts off by scraping the rocks low in the valleys, then climbs up above the highest...
Forum: Soaring October 18th 20, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barographs?

Jim S wrote on 10/18/2020 12:09 PM:
10 year old thread but anybody know where to find a mechanical barograph? Thanks.

Well, I just look up at my "shelf museum" when I want to find one. It's a...
Forum: Soaring October 18th 20, 01:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for 1-26E with trailer and some thoughts

It was an explanation, not an excuse. Other than that minor issue, the Blanik L13 is a terrific
club glider, suitable for training (including spins) and cross-country. It can be safely tied
down...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 20, 05:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for 1-26E with trailer and some thoughts

The problem was likely the Blanik tailwheel, which can be damaged easily in a two-point or tail
first landing. How to train pilots for two-point or tail first landings when you only have a
Blanik?...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 20, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

krasw wrote on 10/17/2020 6:50 AM:
I'm pretty sure that in some cerfification standard there is this specification: "pilot should be able to move some lever is the cockpit marked as wheel brake,...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 20, 04:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FES climb rate question.

John Foster wrote on 10/16/2020 4:53 PM:
On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 8:11:13 AM UTC-6, waremark wrote:
Take-off performance looks impressive. I was surprised by the amount of noise - sounded...
Forum: Soaring October 16th 20, 01:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Mike the Strike wrote on 10/16/2020 3:03 AM:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:55:27 PM UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Maybe it says something about Namibia flying, but it says nothing about the...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 20, 08:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for 1-26E with trailer and some thoughts

ken smith wrote on 10/15/2020 7:55 AM:
Thanks for all the useful feedback. I have heard that the L33 has a weak tail boom and is prone to damage
and the Std Cirrus wants to spin. Would...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 20, 03:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

krasw wrote on 10/14/2020 11:08 PM:
On Thursday, 15 October 2020 at 00:27:59 UTC+3, Ramy wrote:
I couldnít agree less with the notion that you need a top racer to go anywhere. It may be the case...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 20, 02:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for 1-26E with trailer and some thoughts

ken smith wrote on 10/14/2020 9:54 PM:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:58:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to start the usual argument, but why? There are many great first...
Forum: Soaring October 14th 20, 08:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Maybe it says something about Namibia flying, but it says nothing about the Parowan motorglider
event I've been going to for over 10 years. We discuss the flights, rarely the motors. Ditto
for when...
Forum: Soaring October 14th 20, 06:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

The ASH 26E is actually a 27+ year old design, since the first US delivery was in 1994, meaning
the design was completed at least a year earlier. Also 27+ years for the ASW27.

jfitch wrote on...
Forum: Soaring October 14th 20, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
On board battery(ies) for powering radios/Flarm etc

Neal Alders wrote on 10/14/2020 9:31 AM:
I have explored the website, was just looking to see if anyone had any experience or an opinion on them is all.

I suggest using the FAA registration data...
Forum: Soaring October 14th 20, 05:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
On board battery(ies) for powering radios/Flarm etc

Neal Alders wrote on 10/14/2020 9:05 AM:
Im waiting for Super Capacitors to get perfected. I think LiPo and brushless batteries have made significant strides, and Super Capacitors would further...
Forum: Soaring October 13th 20, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
On board battery(ies) for powering radios/Flarm etc

Neal Alders wrote on 10/13/2020 10:56 AM:
Thanks for that link. Price is decent, under a $100 for a 10 amp hour battery. I think I could easily over double that capacity with a couple power tool...
Forum: Soaring October 13th 20, 02:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Have you listened to one? If it ran after 8 am, would it still be offensive?

You are right that it would not bother people at Ephrata, Hobbs, Parowan, Ely, or Minden, and
most of the places I fly....
Forum: Soaring October 13th 20, 04:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Tango Eight wrote on 10/12/2020 5:12 PM:
If you think there is such a thing as a quiet generator you are either indulging in wishful thinking at the expense of your neighbors or you need your...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 20, 11:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Dave Walsh wrote on 10/12/2020 2:26 PM:
Not at all sure I'd consider having to lug heavy batteries out of the
glider,
putting them in a car, transporting them and then recharging them in
your...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 20, 09:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

BG wrote on 10/12/2020 10:47 AM:
On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 6:57:23 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Charging from the fuselage will make it impossible to charge overnight under most circumstances...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 20, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FES climb rate question.

kinsell wrote on 10/12/2020 11:40 AM:
On 10/12/20 8:46 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 10/8/20 6:54 PM, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 1:14:30 PM UTC-7, Mana wrote:
You'll get at...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 20, 04:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Ramy wrote on 10/11/2020 6:57 PM:
Charging from the fuselage will make it impossible to charge overnight under most circumstances unless you tie down near a hangar or use your own generator....
Forum: Soaring October 12th 20, 12:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Electric Turbo Hang Gliders

Dave Nadler wrote on 10/11/2020 3:55 PM:
On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 5:40:07 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote: