Search: Posts made by: 2KA
Forum: Soaring October 7th 20, 04:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Defective US CUB Airspace and TFR files

Ramy,

Absolutely, it could explain your phantom warning. It is exactly the kind of thing that could happen. You should definitely try an updated file and see if the problem goes away. I think it...
Forum: Soaring October 6th 20, 05:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Defective US CUB Airspace and TFR files

And just to be clear, it is only SeeYou CUB formatted airspace and TFR files that are affected. Other formats including OpenAir, Tim Newport-Peace Special Use Airspace, and Nadler NDB, etc. are all...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 20, 11:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Defective US CUB Airspace and TFR files

All,

Unfortunately, I have discovered a significant defect in my software that creates CUB airspace and TFR files for my website and the Soaring Turnpoint Exchange. The defect could cause incorrect...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 20, 05:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
TFRs on Google Earth?

Scott :

The airspace depiction is another thing that SoaringData.Info will do for you. Just download allusa.kml on the airspace tab at http://soaringdata.info. Or you can just check the "Add...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 20, 12:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
TFRs on Google Earth?

As GliderCZ pointed out, my website at http://www.soaringdata.info does this.

- Select the TFRs tab
- Follow the link to the query form
- Enter a center airport and a radius to define the area of...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 20, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
glider instructors in the US

It varies widely based on whether you are talking about commercial operations or clubs, and it also varies from club to club. In some clubs instruction is free (or included in the club membership)...
Forum: Soaring July 27th 20, 01:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Starting SeeYou

On Friday, July 24, 2020 at 7:27:28 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
15ish minutes to finally start yesterday. No error messages. Latest version.

So that is suggestive of something wrong on your end. As...
Forum: Soaring July 24th 20, 10:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Starting SeeYou

When you say "a lot of trouble", can you be more explicit about what happens? Does it eventually start if you wait a long time? Or does it give some kind of error message? If the latter, what is...
Forum: Soaring July 3rd 20, 06:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
New group format

Check to see if you accidentally are going to the mobile version of the site on your computer. Look at the URL at the top of the browser window right after "groups.google.com/forum". If there is a...
Forum: Soaring June 14th 20, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Flying pants

All sorts of very tender stuff freezes at 18K ft, that's what's wrong. Or even 17,999. Ask me how I know.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

PS. I once froze my wife on a high-altitude flight in the late fall, and...
Forum: Soaring June 10th 20, 08:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Thunder Ridge Airpark

I've flown over Thunder Ridge a couple of times in an airplane, and I can confirm that the brush looks pretty low -- at least from the air. It is a private field though, and really only should be...
Forum: Soaring June 7th 20, 09:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
How to Create a CUB Airspace File for your LX Computer

Yup, thanks! If I could type I would be really dangerous!

L.
Forum: Soaring June 7th 20, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
How to Create a CUB Airspace File for your LX Computer

Sorry again, just two more things. I don't seem to be able to keep my mouth shut about this subject.

John Leibacher helped with testing of the code on my website that does the CUB format files, and...
Forum: Soaring June 7th 20, 04:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
How to Create a CUB Airspace File for your LX Computer

Hi Steve,

The answer depends a bit.

Most modern glide computers that use the CUB format can use multiple airspace files at once. You can find the Mexico (and also the Canada) border CUB file on...
Forum: Soaring June 7th 20, 06:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
How to Create a CUB Airspace File for your LX Computer

Sorry, just one more thing. The airspace of the entire US in CUB format will fit in many modern glide computers unmodified. You can find it on the airspace tab at http://www.soaringdata.info.

L.
Forum: Soaring June 7th 20, 06:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
How to Create a CUB Airspace File for your LX Computer

A couple of important typos corrected below:

If you you would like to make a regional CUB airspace file for cross-country use (as opposed to a contest file), you can do it much easier than this by...
Forum: Soaring June 7th 20, 05:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
How to Create a CUB Airspace File for your LX Computer

If you you would like to make a regional CUB airspace file for cross-country use (as opposed to a contest file), you can do it much easier than this by using my website at http://www.soaringdatainfo....
Forum: Soaring March 11th 20, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
iGlide functionality

How does one save a file from a spreadsheet into a cup file and get the quote marks correct?

That is a good observation. Actually, you don't need the quotation marks unless the data has...
Forum: Soaring March 11th 20, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
iGlide functionality

Yeah, what Dan said. You can also use a spreadsheet program like Excel, if you want to see everything laid out in columns. CUP is just basically a comma-separated value file.

L.
Forum: Soaring March 11th 20, 07:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
iGlide functionality

You can start by making a custom airport database at SoaringData.info. Here's how:

1. Go to http://www.soaringdata.info, and select the Airports tab. Follow the link the the airport query...
Forum: Soaring March 9th 20, 06:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
(US) Spring Airport and Airspace Data Update

Just a bit more detail on updating turnpoint files. If you have an older, but beloved turnpoint file, it is easy to update it using information from the official FAA airport database. Here are the...
Forum: Soaring March 6th 20, 11:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
(US) Spring Airport and Airspace Data Update

Spring is nearly upon us in the US again, and it is a great time to update the airspace and airport databases in your glide computer, PNA, handheld GPS, or desktop planning software in preparation...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 20, 12:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
(US) Enhanced Support for the SN-10 on SoaringData.info

For all you ILEC fans (and I know you are out there), I am pleased to announce that SoaringData.info now offers enhanced support for the venerable SN-10:

- Nadler database (NDB) files are now...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 20, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Oudie help

You are most welcome, Dan!

Lynn
Forum: Soaring December 5th 19, 05:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Gliding risk....

Yeah, the entire fleet was inspected and repaired as required (years ago), and SH paid for the whole thing. Gliders built at the factory in Germany were found to be affected, as well as those built...