Forum: Soaring April 5th 18, 05:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

On Thursday, April 5, 2018 at 7:50:22 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
And what's this got to do with the SZD-55, anyway?

I think you started it ;-)

https://xkcd.com/1732/
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 18, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
So much for straight-out fights...

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 4:02:07 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
Well since I'm a straight-out kind of guy....just another reason to forget about OLC.
I know we are a small minority but it is now time...
Forum: Soaring April 2nd 18, 06:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
So much for straight-out fights...

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 8:44:26 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:
The OLC League now requires that a flight not only start within 15km
of the launch point, but also end within 15km of the start...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 18, 09:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New layout for OLC?

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 2:05:00 PM UTC-7, Dave Springford wrote:
Still don't like it - not one bit.

Needs some options to provide one line per flight and then maybe a compact option to show...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 18, 01:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flarm reporting my own ADSB Out

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 12:46:21 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yes PowerFLARM 1090ES In and FLARM deduplication works. Why the question?
If it's not working the likely suspect is the FLARM...
Forum: Soaring March 19th 18, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Light parachute for 200 lb pilot?

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 3:17:07 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I am currently flying with a Butler chute. While it is the most comfortable chute I have flew with, it is also heavy. Can...
Forum: Soaring March 11th 18, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
$75,000 2-33

N9727S - that number looked familiar, so I checked my logbook. Half my training and first solo on Nov 11, 1973 was in that ship.
Tucson Soaring Club at Ryan Field.
After getting my private a year...
Forum: Soaring March 11th 18, 01:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lightest DLG gliders

On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 12:00:20 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
But a mile is actually a useful unit, in context, as is a pound and a ton.

One degree of latitude is 60 nautical miles, and one...
Forum: Soaring March 4th 18, 03:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 1:14:38 PM UTC-8, wrote:

During a debrief, I've been telling students what to correct based on what I was seeing. The better
approach is to...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 18, 08:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GPS anetenna location OK in baggage area of a fiblerglass glider?

On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 6:40:27 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:

Well there is not, this is simply not true.

Read The Fine Manual... From the ASW-27 flight manual:

"Since the whole airframe ex...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 18, 04:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PIK20B at public auction SLC UT on Feb 15

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 6:31:49 PM UTC-8, Dennis vreeken wrote:
No rudder ??

Looks like rudder and horizontal stab are wrapped in the blanket between fuselage and left wing.

Interesting...
Forum: Soaring February 13th 18, 01:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ClearVav vs. LXNav

A typical FAX/Copy store also does printing. You can usually email them a PDF, or bring in a thumb drive with the file on it.

5Z

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 5:35:22 PM UTC-8, ...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 18, 06:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ClearVav vs. LXNav

On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 3:20:02 AM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:

The FAI task support in CN2 is among the best features of the software now.
IMO, this was done "just right". That was brought...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 18, 04:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ClearVav vs. LXNav

Oh, forgot to mention that the glider I ended up buying had a LX9000, so it my my decision for me.

Since then I've added a Butterfly vario which is my primary vario. The wind information it...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 18, 04:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ClearVav vs. LXNav

I flew with a ClearNAV for the last few years I owned my previous glider and loved it. I fell in love with it when it first came out and convinced a friend to install it in his glider.

BUT.... ...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 18, 02:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
best location for boom mike

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 4:51:57 PM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Any thoughts on what the best location is for a boom mike in an ASW27? Currently the mount
point is right behind my right...
Forum: Soaring January 27th 18, 02:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tying down a fiber glass ship.

Those look pretty nice...

I've used auger anchors like these in a variety of soils from desert to midwestern...
Forum: Soaring January 17th 18, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Anyone having trouble upgrading firmware in an LXNAV s80?

Contact LXnav support and they'll walk you through fixing it. I had issues with a broken LX9000 update and they send me some bits of software to put on the SD card to resolve the problem.

Great...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 18, 03:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ground gear for sale

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 6:24:56 PM UTC-8, Scott Williams wrote:
wing wheel sold.

I also have a Cobra wing wheel for ASW-27. Located in Southern CA. Make offer.

-Tom
Forum: Soaring January 7th 18, 06:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lubricant for spar pins

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 9:22:57 PM UTC-8, Tim Taylor wrote:
Replaced lithium grease with clear silicone or silicone with PTFE. The newer lubricants are cleaner and less likely to attract...
Forum: Soaring December 26th 17, 12:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Relieving in flight

On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 10:21:52 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I always thought it made a great "curb feeler" (you youngsters look that
up), and was a last chance gear warning.

Except...
Forum: Soaring December 21st 17, 02:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cramping and Stiffness

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 3:18:57 PM UTC-8, Dan Reagan wrote:
The pills are "Hyland's Leg Cramps".
They do seem to work.

"Seem" is the operative word, since they're homeopathic, so...
Forum: Soaring October 14th 17, 09:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

Walt's encounters was over IYK, which happens to have a radar right on the airport. I think this provides coverage up the Owens valley toward Bishop.

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 6:03:20 AM...
Forum: Soaring October 14th 17, 06:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ATC Privatization, HR 2997

I stumbled on this BLOG about a guy trying to fly a J-3 cub in Spain and southern France, but it provides an American's view of the bureaucracy over the...
Forum: Soaring October 8th 17, 07:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 4:36:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
If that airliner goes over us in level flight at 9000 instead of 6000, it isn't consuming any more
volume. It does...