Search: Posts made by: Kevin Neave[_2_]
Forum: Soaring November 22nd 20, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
GDL 90 on XCSoar

I don't think QPython works with my ancient Dell Streak (Android 2.2)

Might try upgrading Android, or use this as an excuse to change my phone!

Kevin

At 17:46 21 November 2020, Dan Marotta...
Forum: Soaring November 21st 20, 04:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
GDL 90 on XCSoar

Hi Dan,

Did you ever try this with your Dell Streak 5?

Regards

KN

At 20:34 17 November 2020, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 11/17/20 11:54 AM, Davis Chappins wrote:
Forum: Soaring September 24th 20, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
FES underpowered for 18m ship?

It's a different mindset. With your self launcher, and my conventional
turbo, if you start the engine you drive home.

With my FES if I need to climb I only climb as little as possible, then I'm
back...
Forum: Soaring September 14th 20, 09:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
FES underpowered for 18m ship?

Definitely not underpowered for 18m D2c (400 kg)

I can climb quickly from 200m to 400m (500 - 1200ft) then have
enough left for 75km in stillish air. Low power is more efficient so
if you...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 20, 08:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Bad Aviation Films

Pretty sure there was something along the lines of this on TV during the
school holidays (Mid-Late 70s UK)

At 18:53 19 April 2020, wrote:
My vote goes to "Les Chevaliers du...
Forum: Soaring June 18th 19, 10:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
flight computer ergonomics and function

For thermal XC if your computer is telling you to fly at 60kts then you're
probably flying dry and have MacCready set pretty low. So no you won't get
anywhere.
You need to climb faster and set...
Forum: Soaring August 27th 18, 08:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Glider sales Europe

Hi Folks,

Apart from www.segelflug.de and www.gliderpilot.net can anyone point me at
any classified ads site for Europe.

We might be looking for a replacement for a Grob 103 II...
Forum: Soaring August 23rd 18, 04:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Interesting new solar glider

Unless the sky is completely dead D2C-FES uses about about 2-4kW to get
maximum endurance. Doesn't climb at that but has *really* long legs to make
the most of any energy left in the sky.

KN

At...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 08:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

20 years of evolution

At 01:25 13 August 2018, Bojack J4 wrote:
Well, for that price...no engine and prolly needing wing waviness sanded
smooth. But reasonable for a good sports class plane.
Forum: Soaring February 14th 18, 01:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

I think the emphasis was on *affordable*

A new K21, DG1000, or Perkoz are all around 80-85k Euro.
Plus VAT
Plus trailer
Plus Instruments

This means it's unlikely that you'd get a new 2-seater in...
Forum: Soaring January 18th 18, 02:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Looping a Standard Cirrus

Looping the Std Cirrus is very straightforward, and no different to looping
any other glass glider.

If you're competent to loop *any* glider the Cirrus should be no problem

(If you can't maintain...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 17, 02:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Winch Weak Link Strengths

Apologies for mixing the units.

At 13:04 08 December 2017, AS wrote:
On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 4:00:08 AM UTC-5, Kevin Neave wrote:
With Brexit and all they're heading for parity

Forum: Soaring December 8th 17, 08:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Winch Weak Link Strengths

With Brexit and all they're heading for parity

Thanks Dan for the link to CS22.
I think the bit I wanted is CS 22.581 (b)(2)
The ultimate strength of the weak link must be not less than 1.3 x...
Forum: Soaring December 7th 17, 02:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Winch Weak Link Strengths

Does anyone out there know how German Glider Manufacturers calculate the
max weak link strength for winching?

Presumanbly this is also related to the max winch speed

For example in the UK the max...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 17, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Max Weight of Non Lift Producing Components

So what does the main pin(s) count as?

KN

At 16:07 30 November 2017, Tony wrote:
We weighed everything together and then the wings. Felt that was easier
than trying to hold the fuselage with tail...
Forum: Soaring November 3rd 17, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

Expensive

At 10:45 03 November 2017, waremark wrote:
What is the ASG 33 going to be?
Forum: Soaring November 1st 17, 05:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Discus b versus Discus CS

For the last few years of production most of (all?) the Discus b gliders
were built in Czech republic anyway (S/N 551+).

Our Discus bT has a German Fus and Czech wings.
The Gelcoat on the wings is...
Forum: Soaring February 11th 17, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
S80 S100 stick controller how helpful?

I've had the stick controller for the LX8000 in my D2c for about a year &
wouldn't bother.

My biggest issue is the Cruise / Climb is a tiny push button toggle on the
front of the stick & it's way to...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 16, 08:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Home Made Trailers

Not wanting to start an argument, but with sensible fittings it makes no
difference whether the wings go in root first or tip first.
(I'm assuming the fus goes in nose first but you may have novel...
Forum: Soaring February 11th 16, 08:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Newest Sailplane in the world on display at the 2016 SSA convention

To have fun & enjoy soaring & flying XC.
Too many people are getting hung up on absolute levels of performance. Look
at the fun the club class are having.

In my case I wanted an Electric...
Forum: Soaring January 8th 16, 10:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

Approximate prices as of spring 2015...

D2c 18m - 68k Euro
D2cT 18m - 85k Euro
D2c FES 18m - 93k Euro

All plus VAT.
All plus loads of "Options"

By the time you've added a trailer & sensible...
Forum: Soaring January 7th 16, 01:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
DG quality?

NOAH is available as an option on Schempp-Hirth Gliders

KN

At 13:23 07 January 2016, Dave Walsh wrote:
Interesting that "bumper" considered crash resistance in his
choice between DG800 and...
Forum: Soaring November 12th 15, 08:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
Help info needed on oudie n ewmicrorecorder

The EW has it's own intenal GPS and records position & altitude data. It
does not record any position data from the Oudie. The trace gets recorded
in a secure IGC format & can be used for badge...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 15, 07:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
wingtip wheel wanted

Have you tried the agent in whichever country you are resident?

KN

At 00:52 12 August 2015, Andrew wrote:
I need a wingtip wheel for a Ventus 2cxM, and the SH factory is on
holiday in August....
Forum: Soaring July 29th 15, 06:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kevin Neave[_2_]
13.5 Meter World Championships

My ideal glider would be something with Discus performance & FES.
Many of the pilots in my club fly Discus / LS4 performance gliders, or
lower performance club class.

The GP14 claims to have mid...