Search: Posts made by: Karl Striedieck[_2_]
Forum: Soaring September 15th 17, 01:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
L-13 AMOC

When I was the Schleicher rep (1974-1986) it was normal to ship six 15 meter ships in a standard 40' container. All 12 wings were placed above the fuselages which were on the floor.

This was in the...
Forum: Soaring August 8th 17, 02:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FIRC recomendatons

For those not able/interested in attending a FIRC there's a method of renewal that's vastly easier. I've used it twice over the past four years. See AC6191, paragraph 6E.

You and your students must...
Forum: Soaring July 21st 17, 10:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Anyone get hassled for exceeding max car and trailer length?

Last century sometime there was a flap in Oregon concerning a vehicle law that prescribed the ratio of tow vehicle wheel base to trailer axle distance, and all glider towing rigs flunked. Maybe that...
Forum: Soaring July 10th 17, 03:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wax, Teflon, Wx?

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 11:39:58 PM UTC-4, Bill G wrote:
Hi Karl, is that silicone free? Wondering if this will work on my 1995 Stemme? It seems like it would be a good choice and I respect your...
Forum: Soaring July 10th 17, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wax, Teflon, Wx?

Like P3, I've had great results with 3M (Scotchguard) Marine Liquid Wax 09062.

When I sold my 2002 Duo 2 years ago the gel coat was as good as new.

Process: Use an eight inch random orbital...
Forum: Soaring May 2nd 17, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duo Action

All days are open for passengers in the KS Duo Discus at the Sport Nationals at Mifflin in three weeks.

All juniors ride for free.

KS
Forum: Soaring March 28th 17, 02:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Air scoop popping open at high speed

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 4:45:44 PM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
This weekend I did a high speed run to test some new seals I had installed on the rudder for vibration. VNE is 147 Kts in the...
Forum: Soaring March 24th 17, 08:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2017 Eagle Field Winch Schools

Four winch launch training classes have openings for the 2017 season - May 6-7, June 3-4, August 5-6, September 2-3.

See karlstriedieck dot com for more info.

KS
Forum: Soaring March 24th 17, 08:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KS Duo at Perry (R5N)

The KS Duo will be slipping some surly bonds at the Perry contest in a few weeks and the back seat has a few vacanies for any brave souls. Contributions of $200/day go toward the Mifflin Soaring...
Forum: Soaring February 3rd 17, 08:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
US club class definition

"... I, for one, have no interest in handicap soaring (or sailing) "competition."

Although this is a part of the tome on handicapping it is interesting that he is on the standby list for next...
Forum: Soaring January 20th 17, 06:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Benalla

Sebastian's comments regarding his frustration with leeching are spot on. Unfortunately, in the real world of blue skies and WGC scoring you can be a winner on welfare.

Someone with more IT acumen...
Forum: Soaring November 1st 16, 01:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eccentric cam wing assembly tools

Another approach that's worked great for me and doesn't require any extra gadgets is to modify the pins for Schleicher ships. The -20 has enough meat sticking out the back of the spar that simply...
Forum: Soaring October 18th 16, 08:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Self Fly Gliders

http://www.popsci.com/new-software-lets-drones-surf-winds-for-hours
Forum: Soaring September 27th 16, 07:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Winch school opening

One slot for the Eagle Field winch school is open for this coming Sunday Oct 2. karls at uplink.net or 814 237 7996

KS
Forum: Soaring September 26th 16, 04:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dittel radio squelch

PS Turn counterclockwise for more squelch (less noise).

KS
Forum: Soaring September 26th 16, 04:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dittel radio squelch

With the bottom pan off (4 screws) and looking down at the bottom innerds with the front toward you the pot to adjust is 3 and 3/4 inches back from the front face of the radio. It is on the extreme...
Forum: Soaring September 26th 16, 12:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dittel radio squelch

There is a pot that adjusts the squelch. I have it marked on my FSG-50. If you are interested contact me karls at uplink.net

KS
Forum: Soaring September 1st 16, 03:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mic info

My experience with Microaire radios over the last 20 years has been very good. They've never given me any problems and I can converse with other gliders 100 miles away (Harris Hill).

KS
Forum: Soaring August 30th 16, 11:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mic info

Per the Microaire manual info I increased the gain to full and that solved the problem.

The mic was also floppy and fell out of position with air and ground bumps. Simply rotating the entire goose...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 16, 02:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mic info

Thanks Dan! I'll give that a try.

KS
Forum: Soaring August 30th 16, 12:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mic info

Looking for advice on improving the radio transmissions in the recently acquired Duo Discus XL.

The factory installed Microaire M760-1 radio and Bayerdynamic SHM 424 microphone work fine - if you...
Forum: Soaring August 19th 16, 03:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW-20C Fuselage mounted TE probe question

I'd check the system first. Put tape on the hole and draw some vacuum where the tubing enters the instrument area. An ASI hooked in line is a good pressure gauage. Pull about 40 knots and see if it...
Forum: Soaring August 18th 16, 11:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Farewell Karl Kretschmer

In 1969 Karl organanized the first contest I flew in, "The Little Guys Contest" at Blairstown, and his masterpiece trophy - a one off Wilga towing a SHK- has been proudly hanging on my office wall...
Forum: Soaring July 10th 16, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al-Ko Trailer Tongue failure

Here's a better picture of the bolt I added to the tongue of the Duo trailer to eliminate the shear loads on the two cross bolts.

http://www.foxonecorp.com/images/tongue%20bolt.jpg

KS
Forum: Soaring July 8th 16, 02:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al-Ko Trailer Tongue failure

My first Duo trailer showed signs of those two cross bolts working, so I drilled a 1/2" hole vertically in that area and installed a grade 8 bolt to hold everything tight. No working...