Forum: Soaring November 22nd 17, 12:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Next glider, ownership costs question?

If the gelcoat on a composite glider is shot it will cost quit a bit to refinish it. Even doing it the "cheap" way by just sanding down the old finish and spraying polyurethane over it will cost a...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 17, 08:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
L-13 AMOC

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 9:10:53 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://www.ssa.org/GovernmentLiaison?show=blog&id=4431

Good news for anyone in the U.S. with a nice, fairly low time L-13! The...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 17, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PW-5 longitudinal pitch oscillation

I didn't notice anything unusual on my one PW-5 flight in Invermere years ago - I found it an all around nice handling ship. The relatively light wingloading made for an exciting ride in the strong...
Forum: Soaring September 5th 17, 06:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New PowerFLARM firmware 6.40

The firmware update went smoothly today and I found out that the reduced Flarm detection range was indeed due to a boneheaded slip when I made a new configuration file at the beginning of the year.
Forum: Soaring August 29th 17, 08:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New PowerFLARM firmware 6.40

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 8:24:20 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 6:23:07 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 11:46:01 PM UTC-7,...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 17, 07:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fabric covering for 2-33

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 2:28:17 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I'm looking to find anyone who has done any work toward getting an approval for using Oratex on a 2-33. With the FAA...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 17, 07:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New PowerFLARM firmware 6.40

Has anyone else noticed seemingly reduced FLARM range when they installed the previous firmware? It sure seemed like gliders had to be a lot closer in order to show up on the FLARM after we updated...
Forum: Soaring July 31st 17, 08:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider aerobatics

According to the final outcome of the EASA AD situation the Twin II Acro is restricted to "Loop, Turn, Lazy Eight, Chandelle, Spin" unless the rear fuselage has been reinforced in accordance with OSB...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 17, 07:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW-15 Spoiler Adjustment

Are you talking about the airbrakes in the closed position or the full open position? The only adjustment I've had to make to my 15B and another club member's 15 had to do with the airbrakes closed...
Forum: Soaring May 18th 17, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clueless news reporting

Ever notice how it seems that whenever the news reports on a field in which you have extensive knowledge or an event you personally were involved with the story seems horribly incomplete or downright...
Forum: Soaring May 14th 17, 09:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
L-23 assembly

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 3:36:14 PM UTC-7, JC wrote:
After having a terrible time getting the horizontal elevator off after
a season where the glider was stored outside in MN, I started...
Forum: Soaring May 6th 17, 08:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blanik L-13

The latest update on the Blanik America site is October 2016 but it seems hopeful:

http://home.nwi.net/~blanikam/ba/news.htm

I live in Canada where the AD&C modification is already approved but the...
Forum: Soaring May 6th 17, 08:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW 17

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 12:44:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
There is a ASW 17 on AIG auction I was the previous owner if anyone is interested and has questions give me a call,...
Forum: Soaring April 11th 17, 11:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What are your opinions on the Slingsby Skylark 4?

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 1:50:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
How did it stack up against the K6e, SHK, etc.?
How are it's flying qualities?
What's your thoughts?

Thanks so...
Forum: Soaring March 15th 17, 08:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 10:30:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
What we need is a passionate engineer fresh out of college who can design this. Then take deposits of $5,000 into...
Forum: Soaring March 4th 17, 07:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
looking for a set of ASW 19 ailerons

On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 6:28:29 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Good luck getting a Canadian inspector to allow use of a component that doesn't have paperwork showing complete history...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 17, 11:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
looking for a set of ASW 19 ailerons

I checked the Skycraft website and unfortunately they don't list any. They may be worth contacting for leads or in case the site isn't up to date I...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 17, 10:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Avionic trailer.

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 11:19:32 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
On Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 7:52:22 PM UTC-8, wrote:
There are a few Avionic (and Cobra and Komet) trailers...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 17, 06:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aerobatic Two Seat Gliders?

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 8:07:09 AM UTC-8, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le mardi 24 janvier 2017 16:45:06 UTC+1, Eric Munk a √©crit¬*:
The Twin Astir is according to the FM approved for simple...
Forum: Soaring January 23rd 17, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aerobatic Two Seat Gliders?

"Service Bulletin SA-003 prohibits aerobatics in Schweizer gliders overriding the POH (answering the question about an SGS-2-32)."

Actually, legally it doesn't. A service bulletin or note or...
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 17, 04:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Avionic trailer.

There are a few Avionic (and Cobra and Komet) trailers at my club. Mine was the first. I bought it new in late 2004 to replace the disintegrating wooden trailer my ASW-15 came with. Two years later...
Forum: Soaring January 9th 17, 06:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Proper Std. Cirrus class

For a time flaps were allowed in the standard class as long as they were not interconnected with the ailerons. Non-flapped gliders of 15 meters maximum were still eligible for the standard class...
Forum: Soaring December 30th 16, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
My best of 2016

In 2016 I finally got a chance to use a tail chute on landing thanks to a fellow club member who asked me to fly his Phoebus C. I've wanted to do that since I first saw a picture of an ASW-12 on...
Forum: Soaring December 30th 16, 10:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lee Majors film with 1-23's?

The in air 1-26 footage seems to be from the short film "Dawn Flight" It's available at Cumulus Soaring and the making of it was covered in Soaring magazine. I recall seeing more of that film being...
Forum: Soaring December 22nd 16, 05:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New Record?

And here I am with our airfield covered with enough snow that I may have to assemble a team to dig a path from the gate to the clubhouse so we can load up the club G-103 in the trailer so we can take...