Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring December 9th 18, 05:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
schweizer135 canopy

I've seen George Applebay's setup for molding canopies.* Maybe Fidel
still does.* It wouldn't hurt to give him a call.

On 12/8/2018 7:35 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, December 6,...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 18, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
It's winter ....

Wonderful!

What a treat it would be to operate off of a lush, green field again...

On 12/7/2018 10:06 PM, AS wrote:
.... and contrary to some other recent video suggestions, this one is actually...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 18, 05:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

Sorry Herb, but that was Darryl who used the 0 deg C for the ice bath.*
I was just musing the other day about why, when listening to our AWOS
recordings they use inches of mercury for the...
Forum: Soaring December 7th 18, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

Putting the probe in ice water is the best way to get a true 32 deg F
reading.* It won't hurt the probe.

On 12/7/2018 3:13 PM, Dave Springford wrote:
Deming,

In the user manual for Ver 6.04,...
Forum: Soaring December 2nd 18, 05:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

What Richard said.* I installed ADS-B in my Stemme and the hardest part
was removing and replacing all the stuff necessary to get to a flat spot
to mount the hardware.* The gigantic antenna was...
Forum: Soaring December 1st 18, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

Very good perspective, Matt.* Points that I did not consider.

On 11/30/2018 12:42 PM, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:
While I sypathize with Dan Marotta's point of view (and emphatically with John...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 18, 05:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Dead ZAON PCAS MRX

What Matt said.

I was very happy with my Zaon PCAS for several years until a good deal
on a PowerFlarm portable popped up.* I tried it on the ground and was
impressed with the extra stuff that it...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 18, 04:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

OK, since you asked for rebuttals, how about this...?

How many FES equipped sailplanes are in North America?* How many
replacement batteries do you think would be a reasonable number to be...
Forum: Soaring November 29th 18, 12:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Contest Wait list

PM sent.

On 11/28/2018 1:13 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 2:19:14 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
A soaring safari would be a great format.* I did it a...
Forum: Soaring November 28th 18, 08:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Contest Wait list

A soaring safari would be a great format.* I did it a three times back
in the 90s but lately it's impossible to get anyone to commit to a week
of pure fun, landing at a different airport each...
Forum: Soaring November 28th 18, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Africa!

Somebody's got way too much time on his hands...

On 11/28/2018 10:58 AM, David Hirst wrote:
On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 3:30:52 PM UTC+13, Whiskey Charlie wrote:
On Tuesday, November 27,...
Forum: Soaring November 26th 18, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Mountain wave; 2 seat glider

Contact SoaringNV. https://soaringnv.com/

On 11/26/2018 2:25 PM, wrote:
Do any of yall know of some one that flies mountain wave during the winter in Minden or cali that has...
Forum: Soaring November 25th 18, 02:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Pilot certificate required?

Why do you care?

On 11/24/2018 3:37 PM, Jim wrote:
On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 2:13:06 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 1:49:41 PM UTC-8, Jim wrote:
On...
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 18, 06:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
MIT's Ion-drive sustainer takes flight

That looks pretty sweet!* No rotors below to chop you up should you fall
off.* But, is that a fast breeder reactor that he's standing on?* It
would be great to be able to sell the excess...
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 18, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

To answer the subject question:* Buy the one you like best, not what
someone tells you to buy.* Just because you buy the "top" ship does not
mean you'll win any contests.* Find what's...
Forum: Soaring November 22nd 18, 05:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
MIT's Ion-drive sustainer takes flight

Or something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

And it wouldn't even need those nasty batteries!

On 11/22/2018 7:33 AM, son_of_flubber wrote:
Forum: Soaring November 20th 18, 05:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Playing Chicken With The Birds

You generally can't thermal as slowly as a bird so there is not much of
a problem with hitting them.

I have been attacked by a hawk though it was only a threat and there was
no impact.* I did see...
Forum: Soaring November 20th 18, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

Thanks Bruce,

I had a Stratux a couple of years ago.* Played with it for a while and
sold it.* I don't think the stratux will work with the iPad, will it?*
It's now moot since I won't be buying...
Forum: Soaring November 19th 18, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

I got the XGPS-170d for ADS-B in capability in the glider long before
considering installing ADS-B in the glider and, I think before we
installed it in the Cessna 180.* Unfortunately, it won't...
Forum: Soaring November 19th 18, 03:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

Thanks Darryl.* I only use the iPad with Garmin Pilot in the 180,
nothing else, so I don't care about any of the Apple stuff.* It was the
hardware that I needed to do the job.

On 11/18/2018 6:50...
Forum: Soaring November 19th 18, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

I have both an iPad mini 4 and a Nexus 7 Android.* The iPad has better
visibility in the sunlight, but the operating system continually ****es
me off with demands to plug it in and lock it so that...
Forum: Soaring November 17th 18, 04:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
And Speaking of Batteries and Center of Gravity

I already have a brass tail wheel and, since the Stemme is certificated
and the charging system is designed for lead/acid batteries, there won't
be any LiFePO4 batteries installed.* I am, however,...
Forum: Soaring November 17th 18, 04:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
And Speaking of Batteries and Center of Gravity

That's encouraging!

On 11/16/2018 11:41 AM, Dave Walsh wrote:
At 17:37 16 November 2018, Emir Sherbi wrote:
A plastic container with concrete?

Eh? What is wrong with just leaving the...
Forum: Soaring November 17th 18, 04:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
And Speaking of Batteries and Center of Gravity

Lighter than lead.

--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring November 17th 18, 04:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
And Speaking of Batteries and Center of Gravity

What's a kilogram?* I use pounds.

On 11/16/2018 10:37 AM, Pat wrote:
Don't forget to take into account the new definition of a kilogram.

--
Dan, 5J