Search: Posts made by: Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
Forum: Soaring March 24th 21, 01:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
March 31 Deadline to Submit SSA Youth Flight Training Scholarship Applications

As a traveling FAA Designated Pilot Examiner, I offer a $zero DPE Fee Practical Test ("checkride") to SSA Junior Scholarship recipients, anywhere in the USA.

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 1:53:00 PM...
Forum: Soaring March 14th 21, 03:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Advise / test notes on the CFI-G Add On Test

E-mail me for suggestions.
marfagliders at aol dot com

Marfa Gliders Soaring Center, southwest Texas
Forum: Soaring March 3rd 21, 01:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2022 SSA Convention?

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 9:19:02 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
What about the 2023 Convention?

YES! Let's get back to annual SSA conventions!
SSA Directors, are you listening?
The SSA conventions...
Forum: Soaring January 24th 21, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is your go-to meal on long flights?

Bananas & Apples have minimal "crumbs" and no wrappers. Dispose thru the canopy wind vent.
Water is less corrosive if you spill it than Coke, orange juice, Gatorade or Red Bull type energy...
Forum: Soaring January 3rd 21, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Updated Florida Spring Forecast

Yes, good soaring in the Florida spring and good restaurants, most with outside dining.
I was in South Florida and the Keys cruising highway A1A last week
listening to Jimmy Buffett's "Banana...
Forum: Soaring December 9th 20, 02:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wanted: Wingtip Wheel Assembly for SGS 1-36 / 1-26

Right or left, it doesn't appear to matter.

Burt
Marfa Gliders Soaring Center, southwest Texas.
Forum: Soaring November 14th 20, 02:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marfa Gliders in southwest Texas is NOT closing!

Marfa Gliders Soaring Center near the Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park in southwest Texas is NOT closing. Just a nasty rumor.

Downsizing, yes. Closing, NO!
I just sold a couple of...
Forum: Soaring November 14th 20, 02:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Site ideas for a big Western US soaring trip next season

Marfa Gliders Soaring Center near the Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park in southwest Texas is NOT closing.

Downsizing, yes. Closing, NO!
I just sold a couple of gliders and my '46 J3 Cub...
Forum: Soaring October 14th 20, 02:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
§ 61.87 (i)

On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 8:47:42 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 11:05:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Concerning Burt’s comment on the FAA exemption...
Forum: Soaring September 3rd 20, 08:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider DPE for SDF BWG LEX area

On Wednesday, September 2, 2020 at 3:34:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I know Burt C. will travel a significant distance but I need someone in the area for multiple rides.

Don't count me...
Forum: Soaring August 9th 20, 03:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
§ 61.87 (i)

It's about The FAA EXEMPTION. The FAA grants glider pilots an EXEMPTION from the requirement of having an A&P make a logbook entry each time we assemble any glider because all glider pilots have...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 20, 12:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tow Pilots and CFIG Wanted at Sandhill Soaring Club (Michigan)

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 8:52:11 AM UTC-4, RR wrote:

(Regarding CFI's charging for instruction) . . . there is more perceived value to the student.

A reasonable charge for instructing and...
Forum: Soaring July 19th 20, 11:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2-33a for sale

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 5:54:19 PM UTC-4, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Location? Very interested to see it (photos or visit you.)

My E-mail: marfagliders ataol...
Forum: Soaring July 19th 20, 10:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2-33a for sale

Location? Very interested to see it (photos or visit you.)
Forum: Soaring May 4th 20, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
where in the usa can gliders be flown year round

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 3:30:56 PM UTC-5, ASM wrote:
Any idea where?

Soaring year-round at Marfa in southwest Texas and at many sites in the "sun belt" states plus several more sites east and...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 20, 06:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Special FAR Extension to June 30 and Costello Coverage

Thank you Burt. I am easily confused and this SFAR is no help. Some of my questions: Performing as a CFI requires a commercial certificate - does that count? Being a CFI at a flight school...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 20, 12:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Special FAR Extension to June 30 and Costello Coverage

From the EAA website, April 30, 2020:
Wholesale extension of flight reviews and proficiency checks only applies to operations requiring a commercial certificate or higher.

Extension of flight...
Forum: Soaring April 28th 20, 03:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boy Who Flew With Condors - Dick Johnson? Other Comments

On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 3:22:54 AM UTC-5, wrote:
* There is a reference in the movie to a pilot that "set a record of
over 600 miles between Odessa, TX and Nebraska...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 20, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cirrus (Standard) for Sale in Texas

Favored sailplane for 15 meter Club Class contests with the wing incidence factory mod. Spacious cockpit for larger pilots. Good factory support from US dealer or Schempp-Hirth in Germany.

1972. ...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 20, 03:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Most Competitive Club Class Ship

My Club class Standard Cirrus #187 has the factory wing incidence improvement and the airbrake panel mod. Low airframe time. Nice Eberle trailer. Hangared at Marfa, in southwest Texas. I've owned...
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 20, 02:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Fire Sale

Schweizer 2-33 wanted. Really.
Reply by e-mail only to marfagliders at A0L dot c0m
Forum: Soaring March 28th 20, 02:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2-33 Wanted

Yes, really.

E-mail only to marfagliders AT a0l.c0m

Southwest Texas, USA.
Forum: Soaring March 21st 20, 01:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Coronavirus impacting activities?

On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 6:36:20 AM UTC-Burt, keep on soaring out there in Marfa, be smart, but don’t stop.

I shall. Of course having the alternate open canopy on my ASK-13 "Cabriolet"...
Forum: Soaring March 19th 20, 07:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Coronavirus impacting activities?

Marfa Gliders Soaring Center in southwest Texas is open.

Currently no Corona virus cases within 180 miles around the Big Bend area of Texas including the “big city” of Odessa-Midland, except...
Forum: Soaring March 12th 20, 02:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rusty Glider Pilot course

Feeling Rusty?
YOU choose the topics / maneuvers that you feel that you need to work on to become proficient.
Aerotow, accuracy landings, thermaling, reading the sky and more.
May qualify as a...