Search: Posts made by: 2KA
Forum: Soaring September 8th 17, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
EASA AD on FES battery systems

I'm guessing that there is no approved modification yet, and that they wrote the AD that they wrote the AD that way so they won't have to reissue it when the approve one. Perhaps the only way to...
Forum: Soaring July 10th 17, 04:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
I glide data filters

You can also build a custom database on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info. Select the airports tab and follow the instructions at the "Getting Started" link. You can make a new database by...
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 17, 09:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Adapting medical cannulas to work with an EDS?

Uh... not to sound to dumb, but where do you get exactly the right piece of stiff tube and the "normal" barb hose adapters?

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 17, 01:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
I'm Looking for a new location SW USA?

In Northern Utah we fly April 1st through Thanksgiving, typically. Thermals in the Spring and Summer, and ridge/wave in the Spring and Fall.
Forum: Soaring May 16th 17, 03:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
SPOT 3 now reporting altitude?

There was indeed a recent firmware update. I didn't test before installing the update, so I can't say for sure if it was added then -- but it seems likely.

Lynn
Forum: Soaring May 15th 17, 06:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
SPOT 3 now reporting altitude?

I can confirm that both the XML and JSON feeds from SPOT now contain a (new) altitude field. It reports in meters. I have test flown and verified that it is the accurate GPS altitude.

So far, I...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 17, 11:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
(US) Spring Airspace and Airport Data Update

It is Spring again, and if you haven't done so in awhile it would be a great time to update the airspace and airport databases in your glide computer, PNA, handheld GPS, or desktop planning software...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 17, 07:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

One problem I see here is that this policy is being applied to both US national and state records. US state records are more of a "for fun" thing to encourage pilots to increase their achievement...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 17, 01:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
EASA licence and insurance

You can't fly a glider of US registry with just an EASA license. You could fly a glider of European registry in the US with one, but to fly a glider of US registry you need a US license.

FSDOs vary...
Forum: Soaring December 28th 16, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
SPOT GEN3 vs. GEN1?

I've been super happy with my Spot 3. Battery life is wonderful. I threw away my rechargables, since I can get through the season on just one or two battery changes. Even if you leave it on...
Forum: Soaring November 22nd 16, 06:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Utah Tows

There are generally tows available at Cedar Valley, Morgan County (42U), and Logan. You may need to make prior arrangements on weekdays, but it can generally be done. All three sites are within...
Forum: Soaring October 11th 16, 06:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Bruno recruits dozens

A little story.

Some years back we almost lost our club. Financial pressures were mounting as membership dwindled, and many thought this was just another manifestation that soaring in the US is...
Forum: Soaring August 25th 16, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Dynamic STX File Generator for US Airports

Hi Dan,

If you are still using the URL mentioned in my 2010 message...well, lots of things have changed since then. The current URL for my website is:

http://www.soaringdata.info

Follow the link...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 16, 07:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Runway lights and wingspans

Like so many questions in our sport, this one is hard to provide a simple black-and-white answer to. Many factors must be considered, like pilot skill, crosswind, other alternatives, etc. If you...
Forum: Soaring July 25th 16, 06:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Runway lights and wingspans

Yeah, in addition to runway widths, my website notes in the comment field whether each runway has lights or not -- for this very reason.

http://www.soaringdata.info

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Forum: Soaring June 17th 16, 12:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
SeeYou - managing waypoints

You can do either. There is a single waypoint database in the program -- you can replace it with anything you want. Or you can keep turnpoints in external .CUP files and open them in a window just...
Forum: Soaring June 7th 16, 05:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Oxygen System for Discus b

I have experience, but you may not like the answer. I replaced the front mount with one I had hand made to fit my Mountain High bottle. Works just great. The rear mount is adjustable, so it fits...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 16, 07:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
LX7007 Pro IGC

I can probably help with the database update, using data from my website (http://www.soaringdata.info). I haven't done a 7007 before, but it appears from the manual that it can read .cup files for...
Forum: Soaring May 31st 16, 05:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
XC Skies GFS not updating

RAP and GFS back on line today.
Forum: Soaring May 24th 16, 07:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Glider rating to LSA rating

Note that you do have to do the proficiency check in an LSA airplane. A motorglider won't do.

For me, this involved getting a taildragger endorsement as well -- about 10 hours of training was...
Forum: Soaring May 24th 16, 02:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Glider rating to LSA rating

Yup, what BillT said. By the way, I have done this process on both my pilot and instructor certificates, and I'm now an LSA ASEL pilot as well as an instructor. So I can assure that it works.

Your...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 16, 04:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
ruc soundings

I was having that trouble earlier, but it just came up. Perhaps they got it fixed.
Forum: Soaring May 2nd 16, 04:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
Need help converting .cup file to .dat file

Hi xcnick,

Not sure what you mean by "eliminate the name". That certainly isn't usual behavior -- names are generally translated between formats just fine, as many pilots will attest.

Please...
Forum: Soaring April 27th 16, 06:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
using airspace files on XCSOAR/ Kobo

Make a new airspace file using my website at http://www.soaringdata.info:

1. Go to the airports tab, and follow the link to the airports query page
2. Put in a center airport and a radius
3. ...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 16, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 2KA
(US) Spring Airport and Airspace Data Update

By the way, if you upload a turnpoint file it is a great idea to always check the output log file. I note that most logs show at least one or two problems. The most common is reference to airports...