Search: Posts made by: 7C
Forum: Soaring May 18th 17, 07:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width

The new manuals from DG allow you to use teflon tape to provide the air seal with mylar running on top of it. I would recommend getting them and having a read as it has an accurate list of parts and...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 16, 11:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Racing

Check out http://bicester.onglide.com it's fully tracked via Flarm.

I'm going to work on opensourcing the software this winter - tracking bit is easy but the rest of the competition management is...
Forum: Soaring March 7th 16, 09:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
e Reader options for xc soar?

On Tuesday, 1 March 2016 02:21:08 UTC, Papa3 wrote:
There are a number of threads online that describe various problems with Kobos in direct sunlight. Google "Kobo sunlight freeze" and you'll...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 16, 07:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Knobs on the right instead of the left?

Considering that most people fly gliders with their right hands on the stick and their left hand moves around the cockpit for flaps, airbrake, cable release etc. it seems to be counter intuitive to...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 15, 08:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

A fast moving powered aircraft, properly configured, should get plenty of warning from thermaling gliders. And vice versa.

Warning is not what you want in that situation it is tactical...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 15, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

Other Flarm users. If you are in Stealth you give no more warnings to other users than you receive. So non-stealth gliders will not see any more than your fellow competitors.

This has the...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 15, 06:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 15:08:08 UTC+1, Papa3 wrote:
The US 15M/Standard Class Nationals required FLARM to be in stealth mode for the duration of the contest. I have to say, I absolutely...
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 15, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Kobo Aura refresh rate?

This might have been a low battery problem rather than a screen heat issue. If the battery is at it's end the Kobo will screen freeze and nothing works after that.

I've had problems with the...
Forum: Soaring June 21st 15, 10:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Kobo Aura refresh rate?

On Saturday, 20 June 2015 01:18:02 UTC+1, Martin Gregorie wrote:
Does anybody who is using a Kobo eBook reader to run XCSoar measured its
screen refresh rate? If so, I'm curious to know whether...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 15, 09:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
"Cloudstreet: Soaring the American West"

On Wednesday, 27 May 2015 23:48:24 UTC+1, PBA wrote:
Blu Ray also available from Amazon he

Forum: Soaring April 21st 15, 07:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Emergency instrumentation for cloud encounters

Are the LX devices really running all the time? When you bring up a page showing the A-H it is not actually instant on - it takes a couple of seconds before it indicates that it is live....
Forum: Soaring April 21st 15, 08:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Emergency instrumentation for cloud encounters

The interial various are really "instant display".

They record the information from the moment you turn the instrument on - which is probably when you turned the panel on. Therefore there is no...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 15, 09:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Emergency instrumentation for cloud encounters

On Monday, 20 April 2015 21:05:35 UTC+1, wrote:
Instant on artificial horizons? Yes. Two choices.
The LXNav S80.
The Butterfly Vario.
Both are functioning at all times....
Forum: Soaring April 16th 15, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

Or, you could just spend less than you probably pay for a tow, and buy a re-mastered DVD copy of it from your favorite glider supply person. If they don't sell it, try Amazon. Trust me. It is...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 15, 03:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
This public forum may be quoted by the media

On Friday, 27 March 2015 12:43:12 UTC, son_of_flubber wrote:
This is a public forum. It is easy to find with a Google search. Anything that is posted here may be quoted by the media and...
Forum: Soaring March 26th 15, 07:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

I think you'll find the different in ratings is a function of different test requirements in each country. My understanding is that in some countries (can't remember which) it is simply how heavy a...
Forum: Soaring November 7th 14, 10:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Volkslogger Date Corruption

Strangely mine was doing that last season but has been absolutely fine this year. I never quite got around to sending it in to get it fixed. No idea why or how but I had been advised as Dave says...
Forum: Soaring October 30th 14, 07:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Inertial vario

If you don't want to 'memorise a manual, or wonder what 4 differently shaped and coloured symbols mean' you definitely DON'T want to buy a B400. It's got to be the most un-unintuitive vario that I...
Forum: Soaring October 30th 14, 11:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Inertial vario

On Thursday, 30 October 2014 02:55:40 UTC, waremark wrote:
What's special about this vario? Better than other modern varios?

Mostly because it's pretty much just a vario...

It means that I'm...
Forum: Soaring October 29th 14, 10:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Inertial vario

There is a short review on the segelflug.de, but don't get too excited they are only selling on the European market. They don't have plans to launch on the US market for at least 6 months so we...
Forum: Soaring June 9th 14, 08:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Electronic vs. Pneumatic TE

On Monday, 9 June 2014 06:49:33 UTC+1, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Just got a LX V7 and was wondering about opinions regarding the TE function. I have a pneumatic TE in the glider, but was just...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 14, 09:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Delorme InReach Explorer

On Sunday, 20 April 2014 20:09:52 UTC+1, Ramy wrote:
And you can always carry a smal external battery.

I wonder how many XC pilots carry external battery for their cell phone in case of...
Forum: Soaring March 4th 14, 11:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Slow Tows and Upsets

There have been a couple of interesting discussions about towing on RAS. I think Chris Rollings opened a few eyes as to what actually starts a tug upset in his post:

Third test: Terrier...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 13, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Fuses on the panel, or not

2) Thermal trips need a large overcurrent for a long time before they go.
Low value trips introduce a large voltage drop.

I would add to this that thermal trips will reset after a period of...
Forum: Soaring August 15th 13, 08:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 7C
Junior World Championships - FAI Rules Absurdity

Ignoring all the crap about national differences - which really are like seasonings and provide some variety.

I think it's more concerning that larger teams have influence over the competition that...