Forum: Soaring March 11th 18, 10:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
$75,000 2-33

The argument regarding flying a ratty 2-33 or flying a new glass ship is a fallacious one, it depends who you want to attract. If your after moneyed folks then yes the bells n whistles of a glass...
Forum: Soaring March 6th 18, 01:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wanted Open Class Trailer

Hi Erik no, nothing came thru, I'll check my junk mail section, thats one place I didn't check yet.
Forum: Soaring March 5th 18, 09:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wanted Open Class Trailer

Does not have to be enclosed
Forum: Soaring March 5th 18, 06:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wanted Open Class Trailer

I've got to move a 17 meter ship and I'm looking for a trailer. Fitting and condition doesn't really matter as I can rebuild it if needed. If you have something that can accept 17 meter wings or know...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 18, 03:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for Dennis Gallotti low-altitude visual effects letter

Just have a talk with any experienced crop duster, they can fill you in on all the intricacies of low level turning.
Forum: Soaring February 13th 18, 02:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

Well Paul T, I've read all of Derricks written works, no doubt good info there, but when it comes to his opinion of flapped sailplanes, I'll go with others with just as much if not more experience...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 18, 10:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

This has been an interesting and pretty civil discussion involving primarily two polar opposites, personal freedoms and restrictive structures. Thanks to everyone who has posted here without flares...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 18, 10:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tomorrow, 1/31/18.... NOVA special on solar impulse flight.....

Charlie just watched this for the second time. There are direct parallels with our hard deck discussions. The solar impulse team demonstrates the continual dicotemy between engineers/administrators...
Forum: Soaring January 27th 18, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

.....PS: One of the experts mentioned above was the pilot that made a wee mistake
about which ridge was which in the above-linked article...

Dave I'd go easy on the naming of names here. You might...
Forum: Soaring January 27th 18, 08:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

, I'm landing NOW". Each step of each flight, think "Where's the next field, and how far can I go before I might not be able to reach it ?" This is pretty basic, but we haven't been flying this...
Forum: Soaring January 27th 18, 10:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

Cindy thank you so much for that post. I think its a wonderfull historical study of real life incidents and applications of rules or no rules or common sense decision making from the CM side of life....
Forum: Soaring January 27th 18, 01:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

That's alright, next they will require us to file flight plans :)
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 11:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

"Jonathan, the hard deck is not intended to get you home. It's intended to keep from having to compete with those who are willing to risk life and limb to win."

I surely don't understand this...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

Chip I only wish that guy was speaking tongue in cheek, regarding no good reasoning against a hard deck, he was serious in his assertions.
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tying down a fiber glass ship.

Dan that LS4 found itself up in the air. It thought it was flying and the dummy in the cockpit forgot to retract the gear, so it did it itself lol. "Idiot pilots I have to do everything for them".
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

I don't mind flying with that 400ft thermalling guy, as long as I'm not down there with him lol. He's already lost the day.
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 08:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

Then that will limit the type of flying you will be comfortable doing. If that limited perspective is adopted by the majority of 18m competition pilots, then the rules need to be adjusted to reflect...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 08:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

Charlie this thread morphed after about the third post. May not be appropriate here, but it has really been a good thoughtfull conversation bringing up many valid points, although I don't think we...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 07:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

John what reminder and what policy? I want to grasp what you are trying to convey. The reminder that trophies are tin?
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 07:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

This thread has been more interesting in getting a feel for the general mindset of competitors than it has in actually solving any safety issues.

I think for me it is revealing three very distinct...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 06:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

Well Johnathan, thats the question isn't it. One guy posted on here that the hard deck would apply mostly to the average valley floors, and guys would be free to "scrap the rocks" as much as they...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

Well Krasw your free to enact any additional rules you want over there. We're independent revolutionary individualistic freedom loving self responsibility minded americans. Give it a go. If you make...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 05:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

And hope the cows "break the wind"
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

If your desire is to not have to compete with "fools", good luck, there will always be idiots that you will have to compete with. Some may not be "idiots" in the classic sense but they may seem...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 04:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

I've got an idea. Lets mandate that all contest ships be motor equiped and fly the tasks running their engines. The pilots can all use earplugs so they dont hear the motor running and we can pretend...