Search: Posts made by: Tom BravoMike
Forum: Soaring April 24th 21, 08:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11:25:45 AM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
Yes, a motor can extend a flight that would have been terminated and get you home. That extension is not a soaring flight, does not...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 21, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Do Purist Exhibit Higher Testosterone Levels ?

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 4:01:08 PM UTC-5, wrote:
One of the many questions that most of us purist ask examines the phycological and psychical differences in individuals...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 21, 10:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
A terrific story of humanity and chivalry during horrific times

On Saturday, March 27, 2021 at 10:18:40 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
We can all learn much about life from this:

https://www.cnn.com/2013/03/09/living/higher-call-military-chivalry/index..html

There...
Forum: Soaring March 8th 21, 11:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Hans Werner Grosse died at 98

Yes, I only learned about his passing away today after watching the video below from June 6, 2014 when I was checking how old he was then (92 yrs old in 2014). R.I.P!

The video's title is...
Forum: Soaring March 8th 21, 11:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Hans Werner Grosse died at 98

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 3:16:08 PM UTC-6, john firth wrote:
First I heard was on the Ten Cate podcast; HWG was a great
pilot and a strong character; I knew him somewhat from
several...
Forum: Soaring March 8th 21, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
$1 billion BMS Ooops...

I have yet to see a glider take off (bungee launches excepted) or return from a field without an engine.

See and believe:
https://youtu.be/_JNg9zwvDkI?list=PLC40EB4949AD5395B

Been there, done...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 21, 10:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
A Smart Way to Recover a Glider Pilot Hanging Among Trees

An early-season accident in Germany yesterday (Feb. 27, 2021), with a happy outcome: an ASK-21 ends up hanging among trees close to the Burg Feuerstein Airfield (Bayern); no injuries to the pilot...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 21, 07:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
US sectional charts online

Doesn't the OziExplorer's 'Map Merge' supplement software do what you need?

https://www.oziexplorer4.com/mapmerge/mapmerge.html

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 2:10:55 PM UTC-6, Moshe Braner...
Forum: Soaring February 25th 21, 12:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Running XCSOAR on an ereader

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 5:11:02 PM UTC-6, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 2/24/2021 5:45 PM, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:23:50 PM UTC-6, john firth wrote:
Forum: Soaring February 24th 21, 11:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Running XCSOAR on an ereader

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:23:50 PM UTC-6, john firth wrote:
I would like advice on tablets such as KOBO mini which will
run XCSOAR; my Kobo Usb port has died.

stay safe.

Forum: Soaring February 4th 21, 10:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Curious about PZL KWEC-2 TE compensators

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 8:07:31 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I’ve seen these described as an option where you don‘t want to share the TE probe between two varios. However,...
Forum: Soaring January 25th 21, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Weglide.org

In the sign-up form there are three options: Male - Female - Other. WOW! How progressive! HURRAH! The sport of soaring will thrive from now on. It is very crucial to know how many "Other" gender...
Forum: Soaring December 14th 20, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
And a merry Christmas from Namibia

On Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 1:45:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Congratulations to Rafi Luski and Avron Tal, and happy holidays to all! Skywriting done in a powered plane seems trivial...
Forum: Soaring December 7th 20, 11:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
PowerFlarm offers new Version, PowerFlarm Fusion Includes Manynew standard Features!

A video presentation of the new PowerFlarm Fusion by Stefan Langer:

https://youtu.be/aI2watdPHOM
Forum: Soaring December 6th 20, 04:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
LX Navigation Traffic Monitor or LXNAV-TrafficView?

On Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 5:20:59 PM UTC-6, Tom BravoMike wrote:
As I'm considering ordering the new Flarm Fusion, I wonder which (80 mm) display to go for. The two mentioned in the topic...
Forum: Soaring December 4th 20, 12:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
LX Navigation Traffic Monitor or LXNAV-TrafficView?

As I'm considering ordering the new Flarm Fusion, I wonder which (80 mm) display to go for. The two mentioned in the topic line have similar features and price. Pros and cons? What are the 'Voice...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 20, 03:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Anticipating All Souls Day in a Glider

Sebastian Kawa over the Tatra Mountains, commemorating Polish high-altitude climbers who died in the Himalayas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpP_hLX__38

R.I.P.
Forum: Soaring July 31st 20, 05:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

Her Majesty?

Oh yeah. Sounds as if two glider pilots were Seriously Fortunate given (as i
infer) "the usual self-inflicted" circumstances. Can't help but wonder who
bore the salvage...
Forum: Soaring July 21st 20, 04:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
27 crash at Ely?

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 3:36:35 PM UTC-5, Brian wrote:
On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 2:00:21 PM UTC-6, wrote:
It’s so alarming to see so many guys on YouTube flying...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 20, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Spot X

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 1:15:09 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I am aware of the reviews on Garmin vs Spot. But was wondering if anyone has real world experience soaring with the Spot...
Forum: Soaring July 13th 20, 07:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
27 crash at Ely?

Few more pictures with Marek, 1963 and 2013

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Forum: Soaring July 10th 20, 03:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Is teflon safe to use under mylar tape wing seals?

I have applied some teflon spray with a brush into the canopy sliding window rails with good result. Now I'm wondering whether I could use it in the same way under the mylar tape on the wings to...
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 20, 04:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
GP 15 Jeta

That number is not a Polish aircraft number - it is a Slovakian number which is assigned to another aircraft. The answer doesn't make sense.

Tom

It's quite common in Europe to have...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 20, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
How reliably do CG hooks disconnect when the angle of the ropeexceeds the autorelease angle

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 4:33:29 PM UTC-5, Kenz Dale wrote:
I understand that CG hooks are designed to autorelease when the angle of pull passes a certain critical angle. Is this a very...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 20, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tom BravoMike
Episode #13 of The Thermal Podcast is now out

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 8:04:09 AM UTC-5, Herrie ten Cate wrote:
https://pdcn.co/e/traffic.libsyn.com/secure/thethermalpodcast/The_Thermal_-_Episode_13A_-_2020-05-30_21.29.mp3

In this...