Search: Posts made by: Andy[_1_]
Forum: Soaring July 8th 14, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
55kt Wind Gusts Almost Blows Away Tugs

On Friday, June 27, 2014 4:12:49 PM UTC-7, Six-Seven wrote:

"Not to mention lots of people holding down some gliders from trying to take off on their own. "

Interesting video but be careful about...
Forum: Soaring July 7th 14, 12:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
PowerFlarm, ADS-B, GPS again!!! (please don't flame me)

On Sunday, July 6, 2014 2:08:11 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Small portable units is not where the vision of ADS-B started,

I don't say it was where it started but it was part of the vision...
Forum: Soaring July 6th 14, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
PowerFlarm, ADS-B, GPS again!!! (please don't flame me)

On Friday, July 4, 2014 8:17:03 AM UTC-7, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Just as I thought, wishful thinking. I have an experimental registered glider and I'll just wait a while to install a...
Forum: Soaring June 26th 14, 02:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Key to aviation safety revealed!

The key to aviation safety has finally been revealed! Who would have thought that the reef knot, which has been familiar since early childhood to anyone with the simplest knowledge of knots, could...
Forum: Soaring June 24th 14, 12:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
WTB Oxygen transfill whip

On Monday, June 23, 2014 1:20:07 PM UTC-7, Evan Ludeman wrote:
CGA 540, both ends. Looking for a bargain. Reply to author...

Evan Ludeman / T8

I priced out building one a few years...
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 14, 10:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Shipping a glider from western US to Europe

On Monday, June 23, 2014 1:51:01 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:

I think Wallenius Wilhelmsen was the company that shipped my 28. They serve Port Hueneme with RORO for cars and other rolling equipment. ...
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 14, 09:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Shipping a glider from western US to Europe

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:22:53 PM UTC-7, ES wrote:
Glider/trailer needs to get from western Nevada to Switzerland. How does one get started?

Thanks/tuno

My 28 arrived in CA on a...
Forum: Soaring June 20th 14, 11:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Region 9 day 1 Std Class

On Friday, June 20, 2014 11:21:21 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:

Sorry should have read "These pilots would have qualified as "contestants" and caused the day to have been invalid.

Andy
Forum: Soaring June 20th 14, 11:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
How does one land upside down following a PT3?

On Friday, June 20, 2014 3:18:48 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
According to article: Released 100-200 feet AGL. Minor injuries to pilot.
Speculations on how the pilot landed like this?

High...
Forum: Soaring June 20th 14, 07:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Region 9 day 1 Std Class

On Friday, June 20, 2014 8:28:43 AM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:
The rules already address why the day wasn't "devalued"; 100% of the competitors who attempted the task completed. Nobody except AV8 made a...
Forum: Soaring June 20th 14, 02:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Region 9 day 1 Std Class

On a day when all but one competitor did not attempt the task, apparently due to thunderstorms, one competitor completes it and takes 1000 points. The contest is pretty much over. Are we rewarding...
Forum: Soaring June 18th 14, 06:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Very serious - please read

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:20:51 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:

This appears to be the latest SB on floats. I was not able to find a related airworthiness...
Forum: Soaring June 18th 14, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Very serious - please read

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:04:25 AM UTC-7, Charlie Papa wrote:

Forum: Soaring June 18th 14, 05:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Tail dolly hazard

The July issue of SSA Soaring magazine has a cover photo that shows at least 3 unattended gliders with the tail dolly left on. In Arizona you'd get an earfull for doing this as it puts any other...
Forum: Soaring June 17th 14, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Elevator Tied Up or Tied Down?

On Monday, June 16, 2014 12:10:57 PM UTC-7, Bruce Hoult wrote:
If the tail of the glider is tied down then it's not going to make the slightest difference which way you do it. The only...
Forum: Soaring May 9th 14, 07:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
White LS Sleeves VS Wedekind for ASW 19?

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:40:04 PM UTC-7, Nicholas L wrote:

I'm looking for the best upgrade to the L'Hotellier fittings so I don't have to mess with the pins.

I used home made safety pins...
Forum: Soaring May 4th 14, 04:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Trailer Chains - To Cross of Not to Cross - That is the Question

On Sunday, May 4, 2014 7:40:31 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:

First, if you think you have a trailer with an inadequate tongue, I

think you should replace it with the correct tongue....
Forum: Soaring May 4th 14, 03:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Trailer Chains - To Cross of Not to Cross - That is the Question

On Friday, May 2, 2014 3:21:47 PM UTC-7, JohnDeRosa wrote:
I have been told that crossing your trailer safety chains is the right thing to do. Something about if the coupler comes off the ball,...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 14, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Paper Maps Cockpit -- What do you do? Moving Map Display

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:37:41 AM UTC-7, wrote:
ANO 2009 Art 37 and Schedule 4

The OP is in USA as am I. Do you believe ANO 2009 Art 37 and Schedule 4 is applicable?
Forum: Soaring May 1st 14, 04:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
PowerFlarm Butterfly Display not changing range

On Monday, April 28, 2014 10:24:14 AM UTC-7, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
Rotating the switch changes targets, rotate the knob while pressing down

to switch the scale.

Yes, that's how mine works...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 14, 04:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
Paper Maps Cockpit -- What do you do? Moving Map Display

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:49:22 AM UTC-7, wrote:
You are legally required to carry paper maps that show all relevant airspace (ie. a half mill) with you on any cross country...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 14, 01:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
PowerFlarm v3.40

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:11:32 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Zaon figured it out years ago. My PCAS does not alert on my transponder.

No need to tell me that. I own a ZAON MRX and have...
Forum: Soaring April 23rd 14, 09:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
PowerFlarm v3.40

On Sunday, April 20, 2014 8:14:46 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
it strikes me funny that nobody seems to have noticed that
it's the "same altitude" aircraft that's going to hit you.

It's not...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 14, 09:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
PowerFlarm v3.40

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 1:31:15 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
"I suspect that in practice, suppressing transponders at the exact same altitude will have no much affect on PCAS reliability, as relative...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 14, 09:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Andy[_1_]
PowerFlarm v3.40

On Friday, April 18, 2014 7:31:57 PM UTC-7, darrylr wrote:
"Suppression of the local Mode C transponder is done by suppressing same-altitude Mode C targets. That's the main bit of info that the...